Old 05-24-2002, 05:40 PM   #1  
Senior Chicky

Arrow Breakfast Ideas - the Low Carb Way

Another old thread I couldn't find. I know I'm not majorly creative when it comes to breakfast but recall some terrific suggestions on the old thread.

So, for me....

Eggs -
scrambled with mushrooms/small amt of peppers & onion
omelets - bacon/sge, veggies, cheese
Bacon
w/egg, cheese, sour cream wrapped in cheese "tortilla"
Sausage - patties
with melted cheese on top
Sausage - links
sauteed w/little onion & peppers

That's about it for me. Maybe someone will provide the crustless quiche recipe I've been meaning to try. It can be made and frozen, right?

J
Old 05-24-2002, 05:56 PM   #2  

For me it usually consists of whatever leftover veggiesand meat I have and thrown onto an omelette. For a little dash, a tablespoon of salsa to add some zing. Sometimes I don't even want to get all involved breakfast and some cucumbers and cheese slices on top serve me pretty well.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:47 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

back in the days when i actually ATE, i remember fondly something i used to make for breakfast.

i took 2 eggs, and beat them with a little water or milk, and put them into a shallow baking dish, and maybe added cheese or ham or vegs or whatever, and then i'd bake it in the toaster oven set at 350 or so for about 1/2 hour.

it rose and puffed, and the eggs were soft and the cheese melted and it was wonderfully satisfying!!!!

<sigh> maybe someday...
Old 05-25-2002, 12:13 AM   #4  
Senior Chicky

Angry Hey Jif~~

Yummm-that almost sounds like it could resemble a crustless quiche!
Old 05-25-2002, 06:29 AM   #5  

For those who need a "breakfast to go", try making up a large, crustless quiche. You can find lots of recipes for this (all kinds of varieties). They taste great cold or you can re-heat a slice in the microwave as long as you remember to cover it with plastic wrap to keep in the moisture. It even be made with those egg-white-only mixtures you get in carton so you don't have to worry about the chlosteral. Just add what you want for veggies and meats.

You can even make two and freeze one (after it's been cooked). The frozen one will keep for about 3 weeks (then it starts to get grainy).

My mother is lowering her carbs (but not eliminating them). She cooked one of these quiches in a loaf pan (have to experiment with the cooking time). Then she sliced it like a meatloaf and re-heated the slices as she needed them & topped the slice with cheese to put between two slices of reduced-color wheat bread (low-carb) for a breakfast sandwich to go.

Just some thoughts! Have a great day!

Old 05-26-2002, 11:31 AM   #6  

Question

Hi Jo - I read your mom's quiche loaf idea and loved it. You mention reduced-color wheat bread. Could you (or someone) please explain.

I'm from South Africa and would like to know whether it is similar to any product available here. Perhaps we just have another name or description for it.

I also love baking bread - will slow down on that now - and perhaps I could bake something similar if it can not be bought.

Have a great day in the USA - we lived in Washington DC for four years and loved it - spent many holidays in the South-West where I left a chunk of my heart!

Bi and thanx. FG
Old 05-26-2002, 11:56 AM   #7  

Hi, FG. Oops! That was supposed to say "reduced-calorie" not "reduced-color". This is bread that is 40 calories or less per slice.

Old 05-26-2002, 01:48 PM   #8  

Thumbs up sounds better!

Hallo Jo - That really sounds much better, I was truly confused. I'll watch out for something similar and make sure that it's whole wheat - once I've succeeded with my induction.

Tomorrow I'm going out on my first serious stroll after man6y months of hunching up in front of the computer. Hope the weather lasts, we've just experienced our first winter storms here. Really bad. But today the sun shone.Stay well. FG
Old 05-27-2002, 02:26 PM   #9  
Lifetime Member

Me again, Fatgran.

Bread is one of those carbs that is basically a forbidden. BUT, if you make it whole grain and add more whole grains (like sesame seeds, bulgar, or whatever you can) to make it really a multigrain bread, it should be okay in moderation. One half or one slice per day. Again, you need to check out those books!
Old 05-27-2002, 04:58 PM   #10  

Wink

Thanks, Giggles. I love mixed-grain breads - the grains you mentioned, as well as linseed, sunflower seed and whole kernels of wheat - I don't know whether you use that in the USA. This needs cooking to soften beforehand, and gives a wonderful nutty flavour to the bread. Can also be used as a side dish instead of rice.

And with bread this solid you only need hald a slice to satisfy!

Bye - good dieting.

FG
Old 05-28-2002, 10:53 PM   #11  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Cheesy Breakfast Bake ****
2 cups Bisquick (or 2 cups Atkins Bake Mix)
1 cup Half & Half
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
Mix together and spread in greased 9X13 pan

2 packages of Jimmy Dean sausage (any flavor - but hot is best)
Brown, drain grease and put on top of first mixture

3 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar or a "Mexican/taco" mix)
1 4-oz can of Chopped Green Chiles
1 egg
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
Mix together and spread on top of sausage.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, let cool for a couple minutes then cut into 16 servings - YUM!
If you use Bisquick: 13.5 Protein and 11 carbs per Serving
If you use Atkins Bake Mix: 20 Protein and 2.6 Carbs per serving
Variations:
I've tried it both ways; I personally like the taste of the Bisquick better (who wouldn't?) But I have a co-worker who cut the "breading part" in half and left the other layers the same. It tasted just as good. (Protein: 13.5 grams; Carbs: 6.3 grams)

Tex-Mex Breakfast Casserole
The Inn at Chatham
Chatham, Virginia

1 tbsp. oil
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey, fresh
1 pkg. (1.6 oz.) Burrito seasoning
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup salsa
2 cups grated cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
12 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sour cream

Saute onion and green pepper in oil in large fry pan until transparent. Remove from pan. Sauté ground turkey in the same pan until lightly browned. Add burrito seasoning, stir, and add water and blend well over medium heat. Cook together 3-4 minutes. Add onion and peppers to turkey and cook together 3-4 minutes to blend flavors. Remove from heat. This mixture can be made a day in advance and stored in refrigerator.

Spray quiche pans with cooking spray. Spread half of salsa in each pan. Divide turkey mixture and spread over salsa. Top each with 1-cup cheese. Beat eggs and sour cream, pour over turkey. Bake at 375 degrees 45-50 minutes until puffy and knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Serves 12

Cream of Wheat ***
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
4 TBS cream
1 egg
Mix and heat over med heat until grainy then add a little vanilla, cinnamon, and fake sugar to taste. Tastes a bit like custard.

Baked Eggs
1790 House B&B
Georgetown, South Carolina

4 eggs
4 tsp. half and half (to cut carbs, use heavy whipping cream and cut with water)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic
2 tbsp. grated cheese (mixture of cheddar and monterey jack)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray 4 ovenproof ramekin dishes with Pam. Drop 1 fresh egg into each dish. Mix seasonings. Cover each egg with a tsp. of half and half. Sprinkle seasonings very lightly over egg and half & half. Sprinkle cheeses over top.
Bake 7 minutes or until egg white is done with yolk softly cooked.

Cheddar Creamed Eggs on Toast
Covered Bridge Inn
Schellsburg, Pennsylvania

1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups milk (use heavy whipping cream thinned with water)
6 hard cooked eggs (sliced)
4 slices bacon
3+ tbsp. flour (or a low carb thickener)
1 med. Onion (chopped)

Brown bacon and reserve. Drain most of drippings from skillet. Sauté onion in remaining drippings. Combine cheese and flour and add to onion in skillet. Add milk and stir on medium heat until mixture thickens. Fold in eggs and crumbled bacon. Serve over your favorite low carb bread, toasted.

Serves 4

Ricotta Pancakes
4 large eggs
1 c ricotta (if you can't find a good ricotta you may use Philadelphia Soft cream cheese)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/3 c oat flour
1 T melted butter or hazelnut oil
Generous sprinkling of nutmeg
1 packet of Splenda.
Delicious and better than the real thing. Try putting in a 1/4 c of pecans or a 1/4 c of blueberries...use cinnamon and nutmeg combination...how about some crisp crumbled bacon...put in some chocolate shavings...top with some real whip cream...have fun, this is just the starter!

German Pancakes
6 eggs, separated
1/4 cup almond meal/flour
1/4 cup half & half
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 t salt

1. Beat egg whites until stiff.
2. Beat egg yolks until thick. Beat in almond meal, melted butter, half & half, and salt.
3. Fold in egg whites.
4. Using a heavily buttered crepe pan, fry about 1 cup batter at a time. When the edges begin to curl and the batter is totally set, flip over and brown the other side.
Note that when frying these, the batter tends to settle -- mix it each time before getting a new ladleful. This recipe makes 5 crepe-size pancakes.

this should get you guys started!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 04:11 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

Default aahhAAAAAA!!!!

i found it for you, jane... along with other good stuff sue makes. she has a large, hungry family, so she actually cooks!

hope it helps~
Old 02-17-2003, 10:21 PM   #13  
Eat Less; Exercise More

Thanks, jiffypop! Those are great ideas! I still miss my cereal but now I have other choices.

Hmmmm, wonder what I'll have for breakfast tomorrow.....
Old 02-18-2003, 09:22 AM   #14  
Big Loser

I eat this one when I am in a hurry - you can put it in the microwave for a quick breakfast at work:

Cream Cheesy Eggs

2 hard boiled eggs
2 tbsp cream cheese

Mash together and microwave about 45 seconds mix till creamy - I usually add some parsley or cilantro for variety.