Old 05-23-2002, 10:51 AM   #1  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Default Ideas/Mem Day Party

Hellooooo
We're heading up to my dads cabin for the weekend, and here's what he's cooking:
spahgetti
irish stew
enchiladas.
Um, any suggestions on what I could take up to the mountains???????
Old 05-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yeah, I nice looking man !!!

One who smells yummy
Old 05-23-2002, 12:35 PM   #3  

A case of beer and a few bottles of wine!!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:47 PM   #4  
Senior Chicky

Talking

Can I come hang out with you guys????

Actually I was trying to plan a festive but OP menu. DH announced last night that he is not going to the deer lease (damnit!) so who knows.

DCH~The cabin sounds great (as does dads menu! ) But you didn't mention if it was much of a trip for you. So, please take the following OP suggestions for what they are and if they could travel with you.

Grilled or baked chicken (make in advance)
Premade frozen sirloin burger patties
beer butt chicken (we made it on the grill but suppose you could bake??)

chilled mixed bean salad
cole slaw // cabbage slaw
vegetable medley salad

Maybe consider on spaghetti night-bring some frozen meatballs and enjoy the sauce/meatballs with a nice salad.

Irish stew? Hmmmm, pick out the potatoes?

Enchiladas-now that's a tuffy. Any chance you can bake some of the good "innerds" and leave the tortilla out? And make up for that sacrifice by bringing some pork rinds to dip in guacamole?

Please remember....holidays are always hard. But make sure that if you're taking in more carbs than you would normally, make wise choices. Try getting those carbs in the form of veggies and the good LC stuff instead of the sugary/starchy carb demony stuff!

Good Luck!

J
Old 05-23-2002, 07:19 PM   #5  
Only 150 lbs. to goal!

Default Enchiladas, spaghetti, stew..OH MY!

That's worse than Lions and Tigers and Bears.

I think MamaJ had some great suggestions. The meatballs and sauce on spaghetti night is a great idea and why not take it a step further...You are in Denver, so you have access to some of the best italian sausage on the planet...CANINO'S hot italian sausage is to die for. And grilling it at the cabin with some red and green peppers (and onions if you like) would be great with the 'no bread crumb' meatballs and a salad. Everyone else will be jealous of your meal instead of vice versa.

The stew, sans potatoes and carrots, would be good with a salad. Get your dad to throw in extra meat.

The enchiladas is the tough one. No tortilla and a small amount of sauce would cut some carbs. Are they beef, chicken, cheese or some other type? Take the meat, cheese and a little sauce..mix it with some guacomole, sour cream, salsa and lettuce for a psuedo enchilada salad!!! Bring some protein bars to snack on so you're not starving when time to eat.

Bring some other LC friendly foods to eat at other meals...eggs, bacon or sausage, hot dogs, burgers...you know the drill.

Most important...have fun. If you slip...get right back on and don't beat yourself up...before or after...we've all done it and survived! Have a great time. Let me know if you try the Canino's. (They sell it at King Soopers, Costco and Safeway 'I think'). Best price is at Costco, but it's in bulk. It's so good, you won't mind having extra.

Anyway, DCH...Have a great weekend.
MB
Old 05-25-2002, 06:54 AM   #6  

Hello.

Sounds like everyone has some great ideas for you. I really hope you enjoy the weekend.

While you have to eat, don't forget the real reason for the trip is to spend time with you family. On Enchilda night, sit as far from the platter as possible and talk, talk, talk.

Since it's at a cabin, can I assume there will be places for you to walk/hike? Maybe organize a "nature walk" with the kids? Just a thought.

Is it possible to bring a taco salad for Enchilda night? It's one of my favorite things. If you watch the carb levels in the sauce, it's really a low-carb meal (and very yummy). In an individual bowl, Make a bed of lettuce, onions, and (a few) tomatoes. Heat up the meat mixture (beef or chicken & the sauce -- I always cook mine ahead to let the flavor mature). Put a helping of the meat mixture on top of the salad & top with shreadded cheese, sour cream, and a few sliced black olives. Really tasty. Because you can make up everything in advance, you could bring enough for all.