Having a problem

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I need some advice!! I have been doing Adkins well over a week, been keeping my carbs under thirty. The keto stix show that i am burning a small to moderate amount. (depending on time of day). I have gained!!!????? This morning I had a carb solutions bar (total carbs3,,,this is the blueberry kind) and a couple of deviled eggs. Oh and about 2 tablespoons heavy cream. I drink 3 quarts of water. I am getting flusterated about this but I do feel better. Every time I want to eat something with carbs, I just think how long it took to get the purple color on thos ketostix. Then I don't eat the carbs. I am not doing any excercise as my job is at the sewing machines. Any thoughts on this? Thanks,
  • Hi Threads,

Well to tell you the truth, I did Atkins a while back and stayed on it for a month...the first week I lost 5 lbs..after that NOTHING, I mean nothing, and honestly I stuck to it. I guess some diets just don't work for some people. Now when I did the CAD diet I lost on a steady basis and did good.

Please don't give up, sometimes it just needs to kick in. LOTS AND LOTS of people have had excellent results with Atkins so hang in there ! and good luck.

Love, Leens
  • Thanks Leens, I will give this another week and see what happens. Then I may try the CAD. Am I right that for 2 meals just protien, then for the reward meal salad, veggies, protein and carbs, but equal amounts? In an hour. No snacking? About how much do you loose a week and how long have you been doing it? I can say that the craving for sugar is gone. For the 2 meals that you have the protien,,,can there be any carbs,,,,like 3? Have a great day!! Threads
  • Hi Threads,

I am on Atkins too and it has been a week! Adkins book says start with the 14 day induction (no more than 20g/day) to jump start your metabolism. After two weeks add 5 grams/week unless you are not losing!

Hope that helps.

I lose weight slowly but I will post my weight loss/gain at my next weigh in which is this Sunday!

Good luck!
  • well here is my 0.02$ for yu all. HHHMMMM where to start.

keto sticks I have never used them in all my 2 years i tell that i am in ketosis by my dragon breath but honestly i am not in ketosis very much. if you drink tons of water you are diluting your urine and it will come up a lighter color, and ANY [purple is ketosis you do not need it to turn deep purple, also if it is turning deep purple are you drinking enough water???

as for the gain well i need to knw what youare eating in a day. are youeating enough????? if youare eating too little then you will be quick to hold on the food. believe it or not yu do need to eat enough to make good on this plan. you may need some fine tunning of yur plan to get back in the swing. it also may be that you ate somenting that ahs sodium and that youare retaining fluid (there blows the idea that youa re drinking a lot and the ketosis sticks are light) LOL
  • Hi Threads.

I have two things to mention, and you can believe this information or not.

1) There are many products on the market which have more to do with someone making money than with accurate carbohydrate counts.

For a long time Atkins had his bars for sale until someone finally mentioned one of his ingredients, glycerine or glycerol I believe, was not counted in the carb count. It turned out, there was probably 30 grams of carbs instead of three, as his labels said. He supposedly took that ingredient out, but the controversy over those bars continues.

Today there are many brands of low carb protein snack bars, and I believe the problem still exists. Many people are buying those bars and other "low carb" products believing they are good for a low carb diet. However, they find they get out of ketosis and can't figure out why. When they stop eating those snacks they find themselves right back in the purple.

As they say, "buyer beware." It is sad, but true: you may not be able to use those low carb processed foods, even though they may be so convenient.

2) I will try to be tactful, but those of you who know me well, don't read on! I know you have heard this "finger-wagging" lecture before.

Please throw your scales away now, before you become totally addicted to them and you find your day is only successful if the scale says it is.

Even if you weigh on the same scales and at the same time of day and with the same lack of clothes on, you cannot get a totally accurate picture of what is happening on a biochemical level in your body. Low carb diets are trying to get your body to change from a glucose-burning machine into a fat-burning machine. Water comes and goes, and since it is so heavy, it can change your weight by a few pounds at any given moment during a day.

Instead, measure at least 3 or as many places on your body as you can stand to measure, and check it once a week. Or, if you must weigh, write one weight per day and average them at the end of the week. This will help to eliminate the little fluctuations that are meaningless.

But remember, this way of eating is more about getting healthy and stopping the degenerative processes (such as high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, hypoglycemia, PCOS, and so on) than actually losing weight, although weight loss can be a nice perk. The American Dietetic Association and others promote eating tons of "healthy" carbs is good for everyone. In truth, many of us were killing oursleves with so much pasta and bread.

So, if weight loss is your primary goal, you will have to exercise and eat a little fewer calories in order to lose. The advantage of a low carb way of life is that it may be easier to eat fewer calories than with any of the other "diets," because carbs stimulates insulin, and insulin is what causes cravings. Still, increasing exercise is the best way - severly restricting calories will... WILL... cause weight gain.

Now, that didn't hurt too much, did it?

But for the good news... there is a recipe in our recipe section, under miscellaneous, I believe, for homemade protein bars. That way you KNOW what is in it, if you just add up the carb counts of all the ingredients.

Good luck with Atkins. He is strict, but as he says, his diet must work - people have been using it for over 30 years.

Oh, and one more lecture. Please take the time to read any low carb book before you try to do the diet. CAD and CALP are actually a bit more complicated than you may believe. And if you don't understand the rules, you cannot be successful. So, please read as many low carb books as you can stand to read. Through information comes knowledge, and with knowledge comes success.
  • THANK YOU GIGGLES! Good information. Here I went and got some low carb bars for my trip!! Oh well!! I will be gone till Sunday evening. Starting Monday those things will have to go and I will look up the recipe for the homemade kind!!! Thanks again,,Threads
  • Hi Threads,

The CAD diet is in paperback its about $5.00.

Basically CAD is 2 meals you can not have more than (I think) 4 grams of carbs, which is milk in your coffee you must watch what you eat, they give you guidelines of how much you should eat.

Then your reward meal is ANYTHING you want to eat, and I mean anything, cake, potatoes, rice, etc..... but you must eat it within one hour.

Yes...NO SNACKING.

Now the better you do at your reward meal, the faster you will lose weight. When I started it I lost 5 lbs first week then 3 - 4 lbs the following weeks....well then I got pregnant and gained everything back.......OY! I think the book is pretty simple.

Like Giggles said, you really should buy the book and read it because it might or might not be for you ??

Since you've invested in Atkins, I would suggest trying to stick to it for a while (at least).

Good Luck ! Keep us posted on your progress.

Love, Leens
  • Here's some advice
    Jennifer wrote in her journal about this article, it shed some light on facts I never knew!

http://stores.yahoo.com/carbsmart/outout.html
  • Well I am back from my mini vacation I have came to the conclusion that I am definatly allergic to something. I am leaning towards eggs !! I have not lost inches or weight,,,,,I haven't weighed but I know that from the fit of my clothes. My girlfriend noticed how puffy I am and even my husband,,,and believe me he notices,,,,nothing!!! I am going to cut out dairy and eggs for 3 days and see what happens. While I am posting I want to ask if 35 carbs are high as far as low carbing? Wish me luck,,,,I am about to throw my arms up and say "I will be overweight for the rest of my life!!" Thanks, Threads PS in the CAD book I looked at it said that the reward meal had to have salad, protein, vegetables(fiber) and carbs in equal amounts. Have you ever heard of that Giggles? Best go unpack now
  • Hi Threads!

Please don't throw your arms up! This WOE really truly works! Not only as a weight loss tool but as a realistic WOE for life!

I follow CAD. (well, most days, lol) CAD/CALP both require you to eat your salad before your meal and balance your carbs, protein and veggies (fiber). 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. I enjoy my before main meal salad as it seems to take the initial hunger off and helps to control portions at my meal. The 1/3 plate portions is for balance. And with CAD it requirs that the additional carbs must be eaten within that 60 minute period. During the day I try to keep my carbs at breakfast or lunch around 8 carbs and truly enjoy those carbs with my reward meal.

Many years ago I lost my weight doing CAD in a reasonable amount of time and maintained my goal weight for six years. Unfortunately at the sight of the big "M" and a few added pounds I went to a nutritionist who put me on low fat as well as diet pills and my system is soooooo messed up now. My point is, I know that this is a wonderful and healthy WOE.

Best of luck to you! Hope to see you more often!

Janice

PS-The reward meal can be eaten at any time during the day. I just find that evening works best for me.
  • Mama J,,,,By saying that you keep the carbs at your other meals at 8,,,,do you mean 8 each of the other meals or 8 for both?( combined). I am going to have to get very creative on breakfast since I am not sure what is causing this swelling. Time will tell. Starting tomorrow I am going to dive into a little excercise and see if that doesn't help. I don't want to give up. I am short so every oz. shows up big time (5'1"). And at that heighth I can't do 180 pounds very well. I was at 175 but I am swelling up like a dry sponge soaked in water.!!! Better get the dishes done. Later, Threads
  • 10 days on Atkins
    Hi Threads,

I wanted to check in with you as I am on Atkins too! Last week when I posted I thought it had been 1 week but was 10 days. I am keeping carbs around 20 g (thru 14 day induction) I weighed in today (trying for week weigh-ins) and have lost 0lbs, but I am working out 3 x week.

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful posts. I am new to this site and I really am trying to give a change of eating a serious go. I feel like like being here will help me succeed!

Hang in there threads. I agree with wisdom posted earlier. We need to throw the scale away
  • 10 days on Atkins
    Hi Threads,

I wanted to check in with you as I am on Atkins too! Last week when I posted I thought it had been 1 week but was 10 days. I am keeping carbs around 20 g (thru 14 day induction) I weighed in today (trying for week weigh-ins) and have lost 0lbs, but I am working out 3 x week.

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful posts. I am new to this site and I really am trying to give a change of eating a serious go. I feel like like being here will help me succeed!

Hang in there threads. I agree with wisdom posted earlier. We need to throw the scale away
  • Oops
    Not sure how I duplicated my reply by clicking the back button.

Geez, still trying to get the hang of this site.