Old 04-05-2002, 11:06 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Diet pop causes weight gain?????

Has anyone connected weight gain (doing low carbs) after drinking 3 diet pops in a day. I had started low carbs (30 or under) on Monday of this week. As of Wednesday I lost 3 pounds. This morning I got on the scale and it showed I had gained back 3 of the 4. The only thing that I can figure out is that I had 3 diet rootbeers yesterday. (do you know that if you add heavy whipping cream that it tastes like a root beer float!!) It is too good!! It seems like I heard somewhere that artifical sugar isn't good for diets. Any insites on this? Thanks, Bonnie
Old 04-05-2002, 01:23 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

an interesting problem. here's a thought, though. check out the sodium content of the beverage [i couldn't bring myself to write 'pop' since joisy girls say 'soda'!!!]. many of them may have no sugar or carbs, but may have quite a bit of sodium. and as we all know, sodium leads to water retention, which is essentially what a weight gain of 3 pounds over night is.

let us know what you find. and good luck.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:54 PM   #3  

I jsut looked and the sodium is 45. Is that bad? Thanks for the thought Jiffypop! I will watch that from now on!!
Old 04-05-2002, 02:47 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I am not sure if it has caffiene but that will triger your body to retain fluid. but not that much what did you eat??? ham? processed foods??? any thing that may have triggered it?? even sausage can be salty and you not know it. and what about TOM???
Old 04-05-2002, 03:16 PM   #5  

The mystery is solved!!! I retraced what I had last night,,,cooked cabbage with roast beef.............COOKED IN SWANSON CHICKEN BROTH!!!! A wholloping 980mg of Sodium!!!! Is my face red! I would not of thought of the sodium thing so now I feel better. It sure is hard for me to get into the thinking that I can have all the cream, butter, meat, cheese and etc that I want. After a couple of days I haven't been craving the sugar so much either. For so long I thought it was the milk that made me gassy but I haven't had that problem. Some day I will try a slice of bread and see what that does...but not for a while. Thanks gals, Bonnie
Old 04-05-2002, 04:10 PM   #6  
Livin' La Vida Loca

just one more little comment -- i can't remember why exactly (because a lot of diet soda has low sodium content) BUT our WW leader told us once that if we have a tendency to retain fluid that we should lay off the diet soda 36 hours before weigh in -- i'm sure she probably gave me some great scientific reason why but i was probably talking and didn't hear it!
Old 04-05-2002, 04:16 PM   #7  
Livin' La Vida Loca

and something else i just thought of! i asked once how long it takes to flush out the sodium from a high sodium meal and she said it depends on how much water we drink -- if we drink adequate amounts (8+ glasses/per day), it generally takes about 36 hours -- i was asking because i have hypertension and i was wondering how long i was making my arteries pay for chinese food!
Old 04-05-2002, 05:45 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sheesh! 36 hours! Now I am feeling really guilty about having Chinese for lunch today! A good hint re diet soda before weigh-ins.
I learn so much in here.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:13 PM   #9  

DOH! And I thought that if you drank diet soadit was the aspartame causing an insulin imbalance and that's why you retain water! Good thing this thread came up! Thanks!
Old 04-05-2002, 08:20 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

hmmm. if diet soda has very little sodium, and people retain fluid when they drink it, we have to come up with a different reason for this. maybe it's the carbon dioxide. you know, the gas they put in to make those bubbles... let's see... CO2. it's a strong ionizing agent in water, and readily forms COOH, or COO- and H+ a negatively charged particle and a positively charged particle. sodium chloride NaCl is also a strong ionizing agent. that ends up as Na+ and Cl-. all these - and + particles then react with other molecules.

yeah. they both could cause water retention because they react with the water molecules. which are also strong ionizing agents. NaCl and H2O form NaOH and H gas. CO2 and H2O form COOH and H gas. the NaOH is generally dissociated into Na+ and OH-. the COOH generally is dissociated into COO- and H+

so, we're always out of balance.

want me to find more details about this? they're called electrolytes, and their often subtly out of wack.

maybe if you drink soda you should consider taking some potassium. which is K+ and would bind with these negatively charged particles.

good heavens!!!!! it's been YEARS since this stuff has crossed my mind. hope i didn't screw it up too badly.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Will there be a quiz afterwards?

Jiff, you go girl!! I haven't remembered that stuff in years, if ever!
Old 04-05-2002, 08:41 PM   #12  

show off!

Jiff, always job hunting!

Anybody need a good chemist?

dottie
Old 04-05-2002, 08:46 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

Default good chemist???? who???? where????

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

iwas just kind of thinking with my fingers.... kind of mumbling to myself. it seems to make some kind of sense...

and go back to benchwork????? eeewwwww!!!!!!! ICK!!!!! bad smells!!!! broken glass!!!! but it IS fun sliding my glasses down my nose and saying a vague "HUH?" when someone wanders in to talk to me.. oh. wait. i do that anyway....
Old 04-05-2002, 09:05 PM   #14  

Old 04-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #15  

Default Wow!

Jiff, I am in awe of you once again!!!!!

Kel