Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 29 lbs. lost

Height: 5' 4"

Question Apple shaped women

I am a apple shapped woman and find it very hard to find clothes that
fit. My tummy is full but my hips and legs are not. I sometimes buy
pants in the mens dept. because I can get a better fit. Does anyone
know of a womens clothing line that fits an apple? Thanks
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMovingWoman View Post
I am a apple shapped woman and find it very hard to find clothes that
fit. My tummy is full but my hips and legs are not. I sometimes buy
pants in the mens dept. because I can get a better fit. Does anyone
know of a womens clothing line that fits an apple? Thanks
Boy, can I relate. I have the same problem. Buy to fit the waist.. the legs and butt are floating. Buy to fit the legs and hips and I cannot get it around my middle. What I have to do is buy things either with full or partial elastic waists that fit my legs and hips and then use the extra room the elastic gives to get around my middle. One thing I have done is buy leggings, one size up from my usual and because leggings are cut smaller in the legs than regular pants, they are loose on me and looks more like regular pants instead of tight like leggings. Ulla popken stuff has worked well for me. Their website is www.ullapopken.com. The quality is good too. Roaman's and Lane Bryant quality is sort of hit and miss, at least for me. Right now I buy most of my pants at Macy's, the Style & Co brand. They have several styles and one style has a really stretchy waist. The ones that have a stretchy waist and zip up the side seem to be the most forgiving of my extra tummy.

Good Luck shopping.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 9"

I also have this problem. When I get clothes that fit in my tummy, they are too big in the hips and legs, and when I find clothes to fit the hips and legs, they are too tight in the tummy. They best jeans I have found for me is Levis. They tend to be bigger in the belly than most I have found. For some reason the popular opinion is that if you are a woman you have to be shaped like an hour glass. NOT.
Justinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

Copy/paste from my Sugarbusters forum:

Quote:
I've given up my right to breathe today because the only pants I own that don't have holes in the knees is a pair of 'relaxed' fit jeans from Levi's. Tell me...how many women do you know who's figure actually goes IN at the waist? My shape is one of an egg. So, in these jeans, I have plenty of room in my a$$ and thighs, but then the jeans go in at the waist, which pulls them up so that I have a denim-clad vagina on display for the world and I can't pull the jeans down a bit to give the crotch area some room because of the waist. Oh, and did I mention how much this enhances the rolls on my stomach? So...

In a rare moment yesterday after one too many days with Derek with my holey jeans, Derek took me to Penney's and suggested I buy some new jeans. This is what they have there: Relaxed fit jeans. And low rise jeans so that when I sit down on the floor with the kids, half of my underwear shows. I don't wear a thong and I dont' have one of those fancy tatoos on my lower back to show off, so when I sit down, it's nice to have my pants stay on my a$$!! Also, with the low rise jeans...I'd like to know what genius decided women's butts look nice with the pockets half on the a$$ and half on the back of the thigh? It is SOOO unflattering. Especially when the actual top of the jeans doesn't quite cover my large a$$. Oh...then there's my other pet peeve...stretch jeans. Yes, these are comfortable, but when I see what they look like...its like I've been painted with denim.

I have two pairs of Old Navy jeans that are my holey jeans. Actually I think one of them is from Lerner's. But that was 7 years ago and the Lerner's store is no longer here. But they don't make that style of jeans at Old Navy anymore. You can only get the kind that is totally unflattering. Go to Penney's and you only get the kind that deprives you of your basic right to breath oxygen and puts your crotch on display and makes your hips look gigantic because they are very skinny at the ankle. I really want boot-cut...just below the waist...non stretch jeans...with the pockets centered firmly in the middle of my fanny. Is that so hard? Anyone know where I can find any?
As you can see..I can relate. I still have not found a pair of jeans to fit me. I take that back...my MATERNITY jeans fit me great!! Why can't they make jeans for "normal" shaped people?
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #5  

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one that hated the pocket placement on new jeans..it's awful!! What are they thinking?? I can't wait to get back in my old jeans (I think they are old navy too, from about 10 years ago lol) They fit nice (I have the same apple shape) and the pockets are where they are supposed to be. Maybe we all need to learn to sew :P
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #6  
Addicted to potato salad!

You know, it wouldn't be so bad if the jeans actually covered my fanny from the waist down, but the waist actually hits me just above the crack and they simply look like they're falling off. Bleh!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 29 lbs. lost

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks to those of you who replied and made suggestions. From
the women I see in the mall I would think there are enough of us
that some company would put out a "apple" shapped line. I believe
there would be a market for such a clothing line. Till then I guess
we all go on buying elastic waist clothes and raiding the mens dept.
I would pay more to have a decent fitting pair of womens pants.
Thanks again, SlowMovingWoman
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Default The Other Side of the Coin

I had to laugh seeing all your responses. I am hourglass shaped, and every time I go shopping for pants I am constantly cussing the fact that they all seem to be made for apple shaped women!

In most brands of plus sized pants/jeans I have tried, if they fit in the hips and butt there's enough room left in the waist to fit a small infant in there with me. And you can't make it better by wearing a belt, because a belt sits at your natural waist, then you have one very strained belt loop in the back with fabric gaping out on both sides allowing the world to see down the back of your pants.

And today's low-waisted styles make it even worse, because they aren't long enough in the rise for the natural curvature of my hips to actually hold them up. So I have to hold my legs together when I walk because the friction between my thighs is the only thing keeping them from falling down.

It's good I have some smaller sized pants from earlier eras stashed away, because I don't think I will be able to buy another pair of pants until the current fashion trends change.

So just know, Apple Shaped Ladies, you are not alone in your frustration.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #9  

It's sooo annoying to have a tight waist and super loose butt and legs with a pair of jeans. I hate hate hate hate elastic waists, I feel that for me, anything without a zipper is giving up on weight loss. haha

I found a pair of capri jeans made by Baby Phat at Macy's during the summer that fit every curve and were kinda stretchy, but still had a zipper. They were $60 there, but the fit was worth it. The pants were a size 20 though and I'm in an 18 already. So I hope they have more with the same fit, but in smaller sizes for next summer!

They seriously fit so great and didn't make me look 5' wide and 3' tall like capris normally do. haha
Celesteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #10  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

I really appreciate this thread. Thanks so much to all who said some of the TRUTH that I know but don't really have anyone but my daughter to rant to about!

I never got my tummy to go back into shape after the last pregnancy (years ago). Even though I have now lost weight to the point I am only 14 pounds over goal right now, exercise, and have reduced my waist-to-hip ratio some, I still have a tummy that is out of proportion. I think this is bound to be a widespread enough problem that clothes manufacturers are missing serious money not to address it.

About maternity - THANK YOU for saying it! Nobody really knows it, but my best jeans for underneath tops are the maternity stretch leggings-type jeans that you can't find anymore that do not have a panel but are the same fabric all the way up to the elastic waist that lies above the tummy. There is no line to show through the top at the tummy, so I am as smooth and as flat as I can be underneath the top, with no bulk to make me look even tummy-ier. But I can still stretch and bend as much as I need to, or wear as short a top as I'd like to, because the entire garment is the same fabric. I used to mail order these from J.C.Penney - they had several different colors and they had them for years. But no more. Can't find them anywhere, so I guess I'd better reduce my tummy!

About sewing - I would be SERIOUS about this, and I have never even made pants before! When I think "what pattern", though, I guess making a pattern from an existing pair that you already had that you liked? I have one magic pair of slacks with a back zipper, back elastic, high enough waist and flat front and I sure would love to clone it! I would be willing to try to make a pattern from them but I would NOT be willing to take them apart to do it, so it might not work anyway.

About altering - This idea would only work for slacks not classic jeans in my opinion, but if I could find flat-fronted slacks with an encased elastic waist in the back (no stitches through the actual elastic - just floating free inside the waistband) then I could buy to fit hips, open up a seam and ADD more elastic!!! But trying something like this with another style might not be much help. It is the bulk of the button, zipper, extra fabric, or fat elastic, etc. RIGHT AT THE TUMMY that is part of the problem in that it all makes the tummy seem to stick out even further. Unfortunately, most elastic these days is stitched-through with so much thread that the elastic has become permanently part of the fabric.

I guess buying for the waist and then trying to alter the hip area might work but slacks are a really 3-dimensional thing and I have my doubts.

Other possibilities - There are the "adjustable" waistbands. Have you seen these? They have clasps at the waistband above the front pockets. You open the clasps, pull and as the pocket becomes bigger so does the waistband. Shut the clasp and the waistband's been enlarged. My problem with the two pair that I have, by "Part One", is that the clasps are right on the outside of the waistbands and they dont have belt loops, so these metal clasps are calling attention to a place I don't want anyone looking anyway, especially if they might know what the clasps are for!

The Gap for Kids offers girls' adjustable waists that operate by buttons on the inside of the waistband and from what I've seen work pretty well. My question to The Gap would be, why don't you see that your adult customers need attention to detail like this SO much more than little girls?

Anyway, these are some of the thoughts I have and I'm glad to have had a place to express them.

Whittlin
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

I like Seven brand jeans from Lane Bryant. I hate high waists, these hit just at/below the belly button and are perfect. The only thing is, there are multiple styles, and often I go in and find ones with horrid rear pockets/bling/yuck colour. But if you keep looking - I have 2 pairs of Seven which are my "perfect" jeans! I'm freaking out because the more I lose, they are getting too baggy!!
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have no idea who jeans are made for these days. I dislike high waist jeans, so I do like the low cut, only because they actually fall on my waist! Weird. If I don't get low cut jeans, then the jeans are too big at the waist and the thighs/hips are tight. I wouldn't even say I'm a pear shape, except I guess my hips are ~12 inches larger than my waist. Does that make me a pear shape? I don't know.

My trick for jeans is try try try. I've tried many styles and brands in various stores to find jeans that fit right.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #13  

Techwife - I had to laugh at the reference to 'fanny' in your post. In the UK it has a ruder meaning (think in front....)
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #14  
I work with germs!!

Height: 5'2"

All you apple girls, try Gloria Vanderbilt stretch jeans. They are made very boxy. Waist is the same size as the hips. And for the thinner leg gals, they are not as baggy as those that you have you fitting the waist and everything else is baggy. I was, (and still am) an apple even though I've had a tummy tuck 18 mo. ago. I am still left with no butt, and my waist and hips are the same size with thin legs. The GV jeans still fit me the best. I went from a 12-14 and down to an 8.
sz2atheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #15  

Hmm. I remember back in the 80's I tried on a pair of her jeans. Good grief! I looked awful. Never looked so bad in a pair of jeans. Like a sack of 'taters! I don't think they were stretch ones though.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote