3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Looking Good, Feeling Great

Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

What should I do with my hair?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Question What should I do with my hair?

Hey ladies!

I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I have this in the wrong area. Getting used to navigating through here will take me a little bit but so far, from looking through threads, etc. I can see this forum has a beautiful community!

Anyway, to my topic!

I am 6ft 1 in tall and weigh (sadly) 305 lbs. - Although I'm lucky enough that I only LOOK like I'm in the 200lbs range (lucky I guess).

My problem is that I have very long dark brown hair that reaches past my bottom. - Which you can imagine is quite long given my height. I've been thinking about cutting my hair for a YEAR or more but I just can't quite find anything exceptional for me.. I'm not all into the short shoulder length hair though, I've never liked it and I know for sure that it won't fit me personally. I've decided to sort out my pro's and con's of my current 'hairstyle' that maybe(?) would help a bit more into what I have right now.

Pro's:

- I like how my long hair covers my back-rolls. - I'm extremely shy about this and I like the idea that I can 'hide' that extra me back there.

- I know this shouldn't matter much but my boyfriend loves my hair long. Don't get me wrong, I like it too...But I told him I feel like I have to do something with it, it's been bothering me for a year! So: I like it lengthy but I will definitely want to cut it still to a bit shorter than what I'm living with now.

Con's:

- I have dried out ends. - another reason I want to cut it is because the dried out ends feels embarrassing. (Ashamed to mention this but I've been hiding out and become somewhat of a hermit because of my embarrassment to how much weight I've gained recently. I've gotten a burst of confidence lately and am planning to go to interviews to jobs to take advantage of this confidence I have. So, naturally, I want to look presentable.

- My hair is falling out like crazy!!! - I really feel like my hair is so heavy that I shed worse than my cat! (And my cat is pretty bad with that) Even when I get out of the shower, I have to brush my hair up onto my shoulder to keep it from pulling my neck back and often hurting my neck from the extra water it's holding!

- I don't have a real means to style my hair. - As I've mentioned I've been hiding out. I haven't had income of my own or have money to buy anything to style it myself if I do find a good style for me. I do have a good stylist brush, blow-dryer, mousse, hairspray, and gel all full and tucked away in my closet though.

I've looked through various websites and google images to find what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find anything that fits. Are there any suggestions, pictures, websites, etc that anyone can offer me? I would really really appreciate the help!

I have job interviews all throughout this weed and it would be great if I can figure something out by then!

Thanks so much for reading!

Last edited by Valryn : 06-18-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Stripes 237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 140

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

Default

Cut your hair!

You want to cut it. It's really long. You have interviews. You're hiding nothing with your hair. So, just make an appointment and get it cut.

If you don't like the new style, you can always let it grow again.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Palestrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,137

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

How exciting about the job interviews!!

I'm sure you already know this but long hair does not "hide" anything at all. Hair is actually not a body accessory, it is meant to frame your face. Very long hair like yours is very heavy, pulling down and plastering against your head. By cutting it you'll give it a chance to spring up and get some body, looking fuller and healthier.

As far as hoe long it should be, that all depends on your face shape and how you want to frame it. When it gets several inches past your shoulder it ceases to play much of a role. You can get a lot of body keeping it long but cutting layers into it.

When I want a haircut I google "medium length hairstyles" and get ideas. You should do the same but swap out "long" for "medium". Then I compile a bunch of pictures that I like and show them to my stylist.

For what it's worth, cutting my hair makes me feel strong and empowered, i only grow my hair out when I feel scared and insecure about my looks. But cutting it empowers me even if I'm feeling down. Go for it!!
Palestrina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Warrior Princess
 
novangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,000

S/C/G: 155+/145/138

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default

I encounter this a lot as a hairdresser. People have super long hair with badly broken ends, want to keep the length, but want something different. It really doesn't work that way. We can't give you something different and keep all of your length. Since you don't want something shoulder length just cut it half way up your back and add some layers. If you're not going to "fix" it all the time then keep it all one length. Layers need to be styled unless your hair is naturally curly.
__________________





novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes 237 View Post
Cut your hair!

You want to cut it. It's really long. You have interviews. You're hiding nothing with your hair. So, just make an appointment and get it cut.

If you don't like the new style, you can always let it grow again.
That is definitely true! I suppose I shouldn't really care about hiding anything. I know I'm a tough cookie and shouldn't worry about what people say or think, I just have to believe it more. Thanks for the advice!
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Member
 
lostkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 35

S/C/G: 190/163/127

Height: 5'2

Default

Valryn welcome!

A picture would be better but can you describe your hair? straight/curly, thin/thick, full or not so much?

I have long hair, a mix of waves and curls, very full and thick prone to being frizzy and I find the weight helps me to keep it low maintenance so I can't really wear short layers as the shorter layer would take me ages to tame every morning and I hate that but if your hair is not like mine it might work for you.
__________________


lostkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
I'm sure you already know this but long hair does not "hide" anything at all. Hair is actually not a body accessory, it is meant to frame your face.
Oh, I know >.< I just need to get over that who I am is who I am right now. I'll do some searches and see what I can find! Thanks!
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
Call me NNS!
 
nonameslob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,325

S/C/G: 232.6/176/149

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I encounter this a lot as a hairdresser. People have super long hair with badly broken ends, want to keep the length, but want something different. It really doesn't work that way. We can't give you something different and keep all of your length. Since you don't want something shoulder length just cut it half way up your back and add some layers. If you're not going to "fix" it all the time then keep it all one length. Layers need to be styled unless your hair is naturally curly.
This.

Cutting off any amount of length will reduce the hair falling out issue at least a little bit. I know what its like to have hair all over the freaking place and it sucks. Chopping some length will help.

You deserve to give your hair a little TLC! It doesn't cost too much to chop some inches off and the style won't be all that different from what you do now assuming you keep it below the shoulders. But having it a bit shorter will open up the options if you do want to style it differently.

You'll feel better and more confident in the end, I think. It's a physical and mental weight lifted. That will really help you shine in your interviews! Good luck!
__________________

Taking a maintenance hiatus. The ticker can wait

Started Jan. 2013 | Mini Goal 1: Onederland - Reached 5/20/14| Mini Goal 2: 179 (no longer obese) - Reached 2/13/15 | Mini Goal 3: 164 (15 pounds to goal) | Thank you, 5:2 and Intermittent Fasting!

Last edited by nonameslob : 06-18-2015 at 04:40 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I encounter this a lot as a hairdresser. People have super long hair with badly broken ends, want to keep the length, but want something different. It really doesn't work that way. We can't give you something different and keep all of your length. Since you don't want something shoulder length just cut it half way up your back and add some layers. If you're not going to "fix" it all the time then keep it all one length. Layers need to be styled unless your hair is naturally curly.
I'm sure you definitely have a LOT of problems like this everyday! I'm not so picky about length (unless it's wayyy too short) but I see what you mean. I mainly want to keep it normally down and not too styled. The problem is: I have to cut it myself - which I've done before, and I'm good at, I just don't know how to cut hair into styles. Only cutting the length.

Thanks for your reply!
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkitty View Post
Valryn welcome!

A picture would be better but can you describe your hair? straight/curly, thin/thick, full or not so much?

I have long hair, a mix of waves and curls, very full and thick prone to being frizzy and I find the weight helps me to keep it low maintenance so I can't really wear short layers as the shorter layer would take me ages to tame every morning and I hate that but if your hair is not like mine it might work for you.
Thanks for the welcome!

My hair is a heavy, silky, straight dark brown.
I do have a chubby-ish face but not entirely chubby (If I'm laying down, you'll see a bit of extra face to squeeze lol)
I have kind of a big nose which is another reason why I'm nervous about having short hair.

I actually can wake up everyday and not even brush my hair and it'll look brushed. Not sure if it's because of the weight of my hair, or just how silky my hair is. xD

Last edited by Valryn : 06-18-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
This.

Cutting off any amount of length will reduce the hair falling out issue at least a little bit. I know what its like to have hair all over the freaking place and it sucks. Chopping some length will help.

You deserve to give your hair a little TLC! It doesn't cost too much to chop some inches off and the style won't be all that different from what you do now assuming you keep it below the shoulders. But having it a bit shorter will open up the options if you do want to style it differently.

You'll feel better and more confident in the end, I think. It's a physical and mental weight lifted. That will really help you shine in your interviews! Good luck!
Oh you have no idea how much my boyfriend walks up to me with his hand up in the air, and I'm like,"Huh?" And as he gets closer, I realize he's walking up to me with a few strands of my hair and my reaction is,"....Ohh...." lol! He'll say,"I found one in my beard, one on the computer desk and one evilly floating near my food. Your hair is evil." I always reply with,"It has a mind of it's own." Although I do feel terrible that my hair haunts him as much as it haunts me with the loose strands.

I agree my hair does need TLC, no doubt! I'm finally paying attention to it now and want to perform action to this problem instead of just stressful thoughts!

Thanks for your reply!!
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
Warrior Princess
 
novangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,000

S/C/G: 155+/145/138

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valryn View Post
I'm sure you definitely have a LOT of problems like this everyday! I'm not so picky about length (unless it's wayyy too short) but I see what you mean. I mainly want to keep it normally down and not too styled. The problem is: I have to cut it myself - which I've done before, and I'm good at, I just don't know how to cut hair into styles. Only cutting the length.

Thanks for your reply!
I don't know how people manage to cut their own length in back, I can do my own layers (because those are cut a 90 degrees above the head) but not the length...at least not if I want it straight across. V-shape I can do myself but that's it. More power to ya.
__________________





novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I don't know how people manage to cut their own length in back, I can do my own layers (because those are cut a 90 degrees above the head) but not the length...at least not if I want it straight across. V-shape I can do myself but that's it. More power to ya.
Yeah I usually can do the V-shape, I tend to get it down perfectly so it's no problem on my end. I wish I can do a straight cut lol but I actually like it better V.
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hartford, Wisconsin
Posts: 17

Height: 6ft 1in

Default

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies! I finally just decided to cut it to a shorter length and to keep it simple by not even bothering with styling, etc.! Will post when cut and pic!

Last edited by Valryn : 06-18-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Valryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #15
Member
 
lostkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 35

S/C/G: 190/163/127

Height: 5'2

Default

If you have to cut it yourself and you are good at doing the V shape then I would keep it like that. Bangs are a tiny thing that make a huge difference, depending on the style of bangs you decide on some feathering might look nice and it's very easy.
__________________


lostkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2