3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   What should I do with my hair? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/304606-what-should-i-do-my-hair.html)

Valryn 06-18-2015 01:45 PM

What should I do with my hair?

Hey ladies! :D

I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I have this in the wrong area. Getting used to navigating through here will take me a little bit but so far, from looking through threads, etc. I can see this forum has a beautiful community!

Anyway, to my topic! :carrot:

I am 6ft 1 in tall and weigh (sadly) 305 lbs. - Although I'm lucky enough that I only LOOK like I'm in the 200lbs range (lucky I guess). :?:

My problem is that I have very long dark brown hair that reaches past my bottom. - Which you can imagine is quite long given my height. I've been thinking about cutting my hair for a YEAR or more but I just can't quite find anything exceptional for me.. I'm not all into the short shoulder length hair though, I've never liked it and I know for sure that it won't fit me personally. I've decided to sort out my pro's and con's of my current 'hairstyle' that maybe(?) would help a bit more into what I have right now.

Pro's:

- I like how my long hair covers my back-rolls. - I'm extremely shy about this and I like the idea that I can 'hide' that extra me back there. :o

- I know this shouldn't matter much but my boyfriend loves my hair long. Don't get me wrong, I like it too...But I told him I feel like I have to do something with it, it's been bothering me for a year! So: I like it lengthy but I will definitely want to cut it still to a bit shorter than what I'm living with now.

Con's:

- I have dried out ends. - another reason I want to cut it is because the dried out ends feels embarrassing. (Ashamed to mention this but I've been hiding out and become somewhat of a hermit because of my embarrassment to how much weight I've gained recently. :( I've gotten a burst of confidence lately and am planning to go to interviews to jobs to take advantage of this confidence I have. So, naturally, I want to look presentable.

- My hair is falling out like crazy!!! - I really feel like my hair is so heavy that I shed worse than my cat! (And my cat is pretty bad with that) Even when I get out of the shower, I have to brush my hair up onto my shoulder to keep it from pulling my neck back and often hurting my neck from the extra water it's holding!

- I don't have a real means to style my hair. - As I've mentioned I've been hiding out. I haven't had income of my own or have money to buy anything to style it myself if I do find a good style for me. I do have a good stylist brush, blow-dryer, mousse, hairspray, and gel all full and tucked away in my closet though. :?:

I've looked through various websites and google images to find what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find anything that fits. Are there any suggestions, pictures, websites, etc that anyone can offer me? I would really really appreciate the help!

I have job interviews all throughout this weed and it would be great if I can figure something out by then!

Thanks so much for reading! :)

Stripes 237 06-18-2015 02:18 PM

Cut your hair!

You want to cut it. It's really long. You have interviews. You're hiding nothing with your hair. So, just make an appointment and get it cut.

If you don't like the new style, you can always let it grow again. :)

Palestrina 06-18-2015 02:29 PM

How exciting about the job interviews!!

I'm sure you already know this but long hair does not "hide" anything at all. Hair is actually not a body accessory, it is meant to frame your face. Very long hair like yours is very heavy, pulling down and plastering against your head. By cutting it you'll give it a chance to spring up and get some body, looking fuller and healthier.

As far as hoe long it should be, that all depends on your face shape and how you want to frame it. When it gets several inches past your shoulder it ceases to play much of a role. You can get a lot of body keeping it long but cutting layers into it.

When I want a haircut I google "medium length hairstyles" and get ideas. You should do the same but swap out "long" for "medium". Then I compile a bunch of pictures that I like and show them to my stylist.

For what it's worth, cutting my hair makes me feel strong and empowered, i only grow my hair out when I feel scared and insecure about my looks. But cutting it empowers me even if I'm feeling down. Go for it!!

novangel 06-18-2015 02:31 PM

I encounter this a lot as a hairdresser. People have super long hair with badly broken ends, want to keep the length, but want something different. It really doesn't work that way. We can't give you something different and keep all of your length. Since you don't want something shoulder length just cut it half way up your back and add some layers. If you're not going to "fix" it all the time then keep it all one length. Layers need to be styled unless your hair is naturally curly.

Valryn 06-18-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes 237 (Post 5175630)
Cut your hair!

You want to cut it. It's really long. You have interviews. You're hiding nothing with your hair. So, just make an appointment and get it cut.

If you don't like the new style, you can always let it grow again. :)

That is definitely true! I suppose I shouldn't really care about hiding anything. I know I'm a tough cookie and shouldn't worry about what people say or think, I just have to believe it more. Thanks for the advice!

lostkitty 06-18-2015 04:34 PM

Valryn welcome!

A picture would be better but can you describe your hair? straight/curly, thin/thick, full or not so much?

I have long hair, a mix of waves and curls, very full and thick prone to being frizzy and I find the weight helps me to keep it low maintenance so I can't really wear short layers as the shorter layer would take me ages to tame every morning and I hate that but if your hair is not like mine it might work for you.

Valryn 06-18-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palestrina (Post 5175637)
I'm sure you already know this but long hair does not "hide" anything at all. Hair is actually not a body accessory, it is meant to frame your face.

Oh, I know >.< I just need to get over that who I am is who I am right now. I'll do some searches and see what I can find! Thanks!

nonameslob 06-18-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novangel (Post 5175639)
I encounter this a lot as a hairdresser. People have super long hair with badly broken ends, want to keep the length, but want something different. It really doesn't work that way. We can't give you something different and keep all of your length. Since you don't want something shoulder length just cut it half way up your back and add some layers. If you're not going to "fix" it all the time then keep it all one length. Layers need to be styled unless your hair is naturally curly.

This.

Cutting off any amount of length will reduce the hair falling out issue at least a little bit. I know what its like to have hair all over the freaking place and it sucks. Chopping some length will help.

You deserve to give your hair a little TLC! It doesn't cost too much to chop some inches off and the style won't be all that different from what you do now assuming you keep it below the shoulders. But having it a bit shorter will open up the options if you do want to style it differently.

You'll feel better and more confident in the end, I think. It's a physical and mental weight lifted. That will really help you shine in your interviews! Good luck!

Valryn 06-18-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novangel (Post 5175639)

I'm sure you definitely have a LOT of problems like this everyday! I'm not so picky about length (unless it's wayyy too short) but I see what you mean. I mainly want to keep it normally down and not too styled. The problem is: I have to cut it myself - which I've done before, and I'm good at, I just don't know how to cut hair into styles. Only cutting the length.

Thanks for your reply!

Valryn 06-18-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkitty (Post 5175678)
Valryn welcome!

A picture would be better but can you describe your hair? straight/curly, thin/thick, full or not so much?

I have long hair, a mix of waves and curls, very full and thick prone to being frizzy and I find the weight helps me to keep it low maintenance so I can't really wear short layers as the shorter layer would take me ages to tame every morning and I hate that but if your hair is not like mine it might work for you.

Thanks for the welcome!

My hair is a heavy, silky, straight dark brown.
I do have a chubby-ish face but not entirely chubby (If I'm laying down, you'll see a bit of extra face to squeeze lol)
I have kind of a big nose which is another reason why I'm nervous about having short hair.

I actually can wake up everyday and not even brush my hair and it'll look brushed. Not sure if it's because of the weight of my hair, or just how silky my hair is. xD

Valryn 06-18-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonameslob (Post 5175681)
This.

Cutting off any amount of length will reduce the hair falling out issue at least a little bit. I know what its like to have hair all over the freaking place and it sucks. Chopping some length will help.

You deserve to give your hair a little TLC! It doesn't cost too much to chop some inches off and the style won't be all that different from what you do now assuming you keep it below the shoulders. But having it a bit shorter will open up the options if you do want to style it differently.

You'll feel better and more confident in the end, I think. It's a physical and mental weight lifted. That will really help you shine in your interviews! Good luck!

Oh you have no idea how much my boyfriend walks up to me with his hand up in the air, and I'm like,"Huh?" And as he gets closer, I realize he's walking up to me with a few strands of my hair and my reaction is,"....Ohh...." lol! He'll say,"I found one in my beard, one on the computer desk and one evilly floating near my food. Your hair is evil." I always reply with,"It has a mind of it's own." Although I do feel terrible that my hair haunts him as much as it haunts me with the loose strands.

I agree my hair does need TLC, no doubt! I'm finally paying attention to it now and want to perform action to this problem instead of just stressful thoughts!

Thanks for your reply!!

novangel 06-18-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valryn (Post 5175682)
I'm sure you definitely have a LOT of problems like this everyday! I'm not so picky about length (unless it's wayyy too short) but I see what you mean. I mainly want to keep it normally down and not too styled. The problem is: I have to cut it myself - which I've done before, and I'm good at, I just don't know how to cut hair into styles. Only cutting the length.

Thanks for your reply!

I don't know how people manage to cut their own length in back, I can do my own layers (because those are cut a 90 degrees above the head) but not the length...at least not if I want it straight across. V-shape I can do myself but that's it. More power to ya.

Valryn 06-18-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novangel (Post 5175726)
I don't know how people manage to cut their own length in back, I can do my own layers (because those are cut a 90 degrees above the head) but not the length...at least not if I want it straight across. V-shape I can do myself but that's it. More power to ya.

Yeah I usually can do the V-shape, I tend to get it down perfectly so it's no problem on my end. I wish I can do a straight cut lol but I actually like it better V. :)

Valryn 06-18-2015 09:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies! I finally just decided to cut it to a shorter length and to keep it simple by not even bothering with styling, etc.! Will post when cut and pic! :carrot:

lostkitty 06-18-2015 09:37 PM

If you have to cut it yourself and you are good at doing the V shape then I would keep it like that. Bangs are a tiny thing that make a huge difference, depending on the style of bangs you decide on some feathering might look nice and it's very easy.