Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
That's an interesting dilemma and it raises some questions. You have the money to spend, but don't feel comfortable. Instead you'd rather involve 4 other people to buy it for you. Is it more meaningful if it comes as a gift? What makes you so uncomfortable about buying it for yourself? Do you feel you are deserving of this coat?
1. No, not more meaningful if it comes as a gift. Just less guilt-inducing.
3. I do not feel undeserving of the coat.
2. Two things I can think of: fear (with not much basis in reality) that our financial situation might take a nosedive, so I need to pad the nest while I can; and fear that the purchase will take me down a slippery slope so I'll be increasingly tempted by high-end items.

I just got $11,000 in new business today from one of my regular clients, so if I'm going to buy this sucker at all, now's the time to do it! I agree with the YOLO sentiments. Why is this so hard for me???

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #17  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Buy the coat! Buy the coat!! Buy the coat!!! #instigator
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
2. Two things I can think of: fear (with not much basis in reality) that our financial situation might take a nosedive, so I need to pad the nest while I can; and fear that the purchase will take me down a slippery slope so I'll be increasingly tempted by high-end items.

I just got $11,000 in new business today from one of my regular clients, so if I'm going to buy this sucker at all, now's the time to do it! I agree with the YOLO sentiments. Why is this so hard for me???

F.
It's a really interesting topic to me because how we spend our money has such deep roots in our upbringing.

Shopping can be addictive but I doubt that someone as logical as you are would spiral out of control. When I've made big purchases on clothes I cherish those items! I always remember the feeling of buying it and it feels really good. Even when times are tough and I look at something that I bought in the past I still don't feel any regret.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Shopping can be addictive but I doubt that someone as logical as you are would spiral out of control.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I suspect you're right. Today was such a crazy day, though. Started out on a high note with the new business, and then I learned we may need to shell out some money for legal fees. I can't decide if this means I need the coat more than ever or need to get it out of my head!

F.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

if it's a piece you see yourself wearing forever and since you technically can afford it, I would not even hesitate. Take a look at your closet and if you see yourself wearing it with a bunch of your current clothes, I say go for it!
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #21  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Dying to know if you're going to get (or already got) the coat.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Dying to know if you're going to get (or already got) the coat.
I'll let you guys know if I do. My life has become a soap opera in the past few days, so I've been preoccupied with that. You couldn't find a better plot for a novel if you tried, but IRL it kinda sucks.

F.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #23  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Sorry to hear it, hang in there.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:

F.
1) Re Gift - It's not just less guilt-inducing, you are doing them a favor. If your family is like mine they will be THRILLED to know what you want, it makes it easy for them & they're happy to know you will USE what they buy. (Even if DH doesn't understand his 'share' is supposed to be larger than the kids' share. LOL). If you have a winter birthday, anniversary, whatever, include that too. Heck, tell them it's the next TWO Christmases.

2) Consider the specialness of it. I don't care much about clothes and am pretty frugal. But when I step back & think about it - we have never regretted springing for the quality item of clothing or furniture!

3) Heck, you live in Canada. That climate alone justifies it!!!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
My life has become a soap opera in the past few days, so I've been preoccupied with that. You couldn't find a better plot for a novel if you tried, but IRL it kinda sucks.
Sorry, wish I'd read ALL the posts before responding. Hope things are okay.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mamma View Post
Sorry, wish I'd read ALL the posts before responding. Hope things are okay.
Thanks for the well wishes. Things are still up in the air. All the important things are OK: my marriage and my kids (knock on wood). But you wouldn't believe the mess we're in. As the saying goes, stranger than fiction.

F.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #27  

As Suzanne (3FC) says: IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!

Perfect time to treat yourself because there will always be something to make you rethink
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #28  

I hope you buy it.

I never felt better than when I could wear small, semi-fitted clothes that make my body scream that I'm thinner. (Granted they don't fit me anymore but that's a whole other story)

I hope all your stresses work out right now. In your original posts, I could "hear" the excitement in your posts for this coat. That means something.

You seem to be the type of person who doesn't want for much (in a nice kind of way). I think you deserve this coat for the sheer excitement that it made you want to post here to ask.

And to answer the original question....$500 would be a pricetag I'd put on my own giddiness.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Honestly? No, I wouldn't spend that much money on a coat.
I was thinking (at first) that maybe it's because I don't wear coats very much due to weather....but I love purses, and I wouldn't even spend that much on a bag. There IS a bag that I have my eye on that costs (nearly) that much....but I found a designer on etsy who makes a similar one for about half the cost. I'm still deciding.

True, you only live once, but for me....I don't want to look back on that item and think "I cannot believe I spent that much money on a coat when I could have used it for xyz."

On the other hand....I did spend about that on a coffee table I found on etsy that I love. I've never once looked at the table and thought "oh man. I wish I had spent that money on something else."

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 11-02-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #30  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I would wait (if I find an item a bit pricey). If I'm in doubt, I give myself one or two weeks. If I'm still thinking about it at that point, I'll just buy it. Most of the time, I forget about it and end up being really glad I didn't buy it.

I had a mom that wasn't a big spender at all and even though I spend more freely than she, I still have some anxiety when buying for myself.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote