Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #1  

Default Hairstyle Help

I'm looking for suggestions for hairstyles. I have a round face and am currently about 150 lbs overweight. My hair is stick straight and really doesn't hold much of a style.. no matter how much curling, blow drying, or hairspraying I use, it always ends up flat in no time.

Usually I wear my hair up in a ponytail, but I'd really like to do something different. Any suggestions? I'm also thinking of dying it, too.. my hair is red but has faded a bit in the last few years. I'd love it if it were as red as it used to be.

Thanks!
Raidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

fine hair? baby fine hair? thin hair? thick hair? coarse hair?

i have baby fine, thin hair that doesn't hold a style. plus a generous round face and lots of fat in the chin area. i am pretty much SOL.

that said? these have worked best for me.

if my hair were at all thick, i would definitely get a bettie page haircut. i recently tried to get one despite my hairdresser warning me and it was a *huge* mistake.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #3  

Sorry, yes, very fine, thin hair. Lots of chin fat, too. Ugh.

I've tried for hair like those pictures before, but it never turns out well. Do you think it's better to have it layered all over, or just at the front?

Some of the problem might be in how I convey what I want to a hairstylist.. I'm not a girly-girl and have no clue about hair, so I don't really know how to explain what I want.

Last edited by Raidra; 04-30-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Raidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

What about a reverse or asymmetrical bob? Long in the front, for me, usually makes me feel like my face looks thinner. But a bob can give you lots of texture and playfulness. I'm thinking like this...

(Sorry thats so big! Not sure how to make it smaller). I have thick hair and have had a cut like that, but I have friends who have thin hair and had similar cuts that worked well for me.

Also, the best way to tell a hairdresser what you want is to just bring a picture!

Last edited by nonameslob; 04-30-2014 at 10:47 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #5  

i love the sharp bob look like that. i wish i could wear it. somehow it makes me look mean instead of cool. i guess my resting ***** face is too much for that haircut. haha.

for very thin baby fine hair, i prefer a slight layering. right now my hair is all one length (except for the damn bettie page bangs!) and almost hits my shoulders and i feel like i look like a six year old.

i think the best thing you could do is go to a reputable hairstylist. spend a bit of money, and tell them you want a hairstyle that will look good with your face and your type of hair. i really should have listened to this guy, and i will go back in two months and tell him that he can do whatever he wants.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #6  

oh! also he told me that with hair like ours, we need to treat it with kid gloves. NO BRUSHING. only a wide toothed comb like this...

or your fingers.

gentle gentle. never comb from the top down. work your way up.

don't put your hair in a tight ponytail. only loose. (this was a big one for me. i always wore a tight ponytail).

if you want volume, use a light mousse and big hot curlers, and then low cool air. dont rat it out.

if you don't want to mess with curlers, you can just do the mousse (that's what i do).
Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #7  

My hair is also baby fine (though I have a lot of it) and it doesn't hold style. Here a photo of it when it was shorter. ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize it was a bit blurry

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by stunningsparkle; 05-01-2014 at 02:50 PM.
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #8  

Here is one more with short hair and a bit heavier (aka the chins :P )

[IMG][/IMG]
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #9  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

^^^ You look gorgeous! And oh my gosh that dress!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #10  

i found this and thought of this thread
http://www.girlishh.com/cute-hairstyles-for-thin-hair/
Old 05-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #11  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Just my 2 cents... If you're used to a ponytail or wearing your hair up, be aware of the fact that other hairstyles are a lot more maintenance, as well as work in the morning. I have long hair that I usually wear pulled back and had short hair (Princess Diana cut...long ago) only once in my life. HATED IT! It looked great, but I kept burning my ears and forehead with the curling iron, and if I had no time in the AM, it was a hat for me -- not a good look for work. I kept it short for a year and said no more. I truly think I'll be an old lady with long (maybe longish) hair.

Look at hair tutorials on pinterest... I've learned so much from those. I can do some pretty complicated looking updo's in just a few minutes, now.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
Just my 2 cents... If you're used to a ponytail or wearing your hair up, be aware of the fact that other hairstyles are a lot more maintenance, as well as work in the morning. I have long hair that I usually wear pulled back and had short hair (Princess Diana cut...long ago) only once in my life. HATED IT! It looked great, but I kept burning my ears and forehead with the curling iron, and if I had no time in the AM, it was a hat for me -- not a good look for work. I kept it short for a year and said no more. I truly think I'll be an old lady with long (maybe longish) hair.

Look at hair tutorials on pinterest... I've learned so much from those. I can do some pretty complicated looking updo's in just a few minutes, now.
I will only do longer hair, too, and made the same mistake once with a short cut, only mine was a shag in the early/mid 90s. Way too much work for me. Now I usually stick a few rollers in it at night to give it just a bit of shape (absolutely NO curl) and put it in a low, side ponytail or a few clips if I wear it down.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi, I agree with the suggestion to find a reputable stylist! I recently found an amazing stylist after a lot of trial and error with other stylists, I am sticking with this guy! I found him through Yelp reviews, I like Yelp a lot.

Also, have you ever bought a hairstyling magazine? Yes they can be pricey but they often show a nice array of styles and you can rip out the photo of a style you like, take it with you to the salon. My hair never stays curly either, it just doesn't, I don't know if much can be done about that. Take care!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Well, I'm not help. My hair has always been very thick, wavy, and bushy. Don't envy me....it's no fun. There are lots of products out there for people with thin, fine hair. But not much works for us bushy haired girls. I am a senior citizen, but I don't feel like an old lady and the hairstyles I like are more like the ones the younger girls are wearing. But I can't find a hairdresser to cut my hair the way I want. Either they just think it won't look right on an old lady, or they misunderstand what I'm saying. I've even taken pictures but they don't help, either. I always end up with "helmet-head", you know, the old bouffant hairstyles the little old ladies wear. LOL

When you finally find what you want, post a pic. I'd like to see it.

Stunningsparkle, you're hairdo seems to suit you just fine!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-15-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Well, I'm not help. My hair has always been very thick, wavy, and bushy. Don't envy me....it's no fun. There are lots of products out there for people with thin, fine hair. But not much works for us bushy haired girls. I am a senior citizen, but I don't feel like an old lady and the hairstyles I like are more like the ones the younger girls are wearing. But I can't find a hairdresser to cut my hair the way I want. Either they just think it won't look right on an old lady, or they misunderstand what I'm saying. I've even taken pictures but they don't help, either. I always end up with "helmet-head", you know, the old bouffant hairstyles the little old ladies wear. LOL

When you finally find what you want, post a pic. I'd like to see it.

Stunningsparkle, you're hairdo seems to suit you just fine!
Have you ever tried just conditioner (no shampoo) and drying it without washing any of the conditioner out? No brushing other than finger detangling when wet - it works for me and my little one and we are thick curlies. No poof at all. It supposedly is great for thick wavies as well.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote