Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #1  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Default Stretch Marks?!?!?

Ok so I did not expect to see new stretch marks appearing on the way down, but darn it, they are showing up. I did some research online and it sounds like that is quite common (I'm losing about 2.5 pounds a week) but that exercise, water, cocoa butter, and lotion can be a big help.

I'm curious what lotions and cremes our community is using to keep their skin supple during their weight loss? I'm almost 43, so while my skin (in theory) should still be able to recover on it's own, I think it would be best for me to help it along any way possible.

Thanks so much!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2  
Shona★

S/C/G: 220/185.4/140

Height: 5'6

Yes, most people if not all will get stretch marks when losing weight.
I have them mainly on my hips, a few on my arms, a few on my breasts and I'm one of the lucky ones and only have a few on my stomach.
I've be using Bio Oil for 7 months EVERY SINGLE morning and night, & they have improved immensely.
As you said Cocoa Butter is another one. I'm not sure of the price for Cocoa Butter but Bio Oil is about $40 (NZD), which is for the 200ml. That lasts me over a month.
& yes I've also heard water can be helpful. Also just note if you decide to use Bio Oil that it takes 3 months to start seeing results.

Last edited by Warrior; 10-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I use Jergen's Firming Lotion, not only does it help moisturize my skin, but I'm hoping it keeps it tight enough so that I don't get too much loose skin as I continue to lose. I like the bigger losses, but I'm happy with the smaller ones because I feel like it gives my skin a chance to accept the changes and tighten on its own, if that makes sense lol!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Many people will tell you that topical treatments will not get rid of stretch marks. This is true. However, they can help the skin heal up faster and the stretchmarks to fade a bit. Also, lotion to help elasticity before they form has never hurt anyone.

Personally, I just use Vitamin E oil ($4 in Walmart Pharmacy) and Palmers Cocoa Butter Lotion (preferably the gel).
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #5  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the great suggestions.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #6  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post

Personally, I just use Vitamin E oil ($4 in Walmart Pharmacy) and Palmers Cocoa Butter Lotion (preferably the gel).
Do you find the Vitamin E oil helps?

When I had breast reduction surgery a long time ago, my doctor told me to use Vitamin E oil for the scars to help them fade faster.

I think what I've been told is the red stretch marks are newer and are easier to fade, but the white ones don't always go away? Anyone agree or disagree with this?

I was going to start a thread on stretch marks because I notice I have white stretch marks on my stomach and breasts from yo yo dieting over the years and I want to try to get rid of them.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #7  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Jojo381972 - I believe that it does help a bit. I've also used it to fade normal scars and to shrink my earholes (I used to have 1/2 plugs, which weren't appropriate for my job).

White stretch marks are just like any other scars. They are impossible to get rid of without surgery. However, sometimes scars will fade enough over time that they're not noticeable.

As I said before, at the very least, using topical treatments can help prevent stretch marks, even if they don't cure them.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #8  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Thanks Psychic! I'll give it a try!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 313/165

Height: 5'7

Hello everyone. I'm new around here on 3FC, and this was exactly one of the topics I hoped to find. Over the years, I've gained and lost several times which resulted in stretch marks. What I'm wondering is how does tanning work with stretch marks? Does it make them more noticeable? Less? I'm wondering because I really hope to get some sun this summer, considering I am white as a sheet. But I'm worried that tanning might make the marks stand out more. Anyone have experience and/or knowledge about this?
Silver Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Stretch marks are what they are. Weather you get them from weight gain or loss or pregnancy.

Lotions and oils and so on, will help, but there is no sure fire help or cure.

It depends on so many things. Your skin, rate of gain/loss and so on.

I had a few, minimal ones, back in the day, and then I got pregnant, and 9 months later had twins that were both a shade over 6 pounds each!

I used every oil, lotion, etc., available, to no avail. You can't make 2 babies in 9 months, and not have stretch marks.

For the record, tanning does not make them better, but a bit less noticeable.

I don't even worry about it anymore. They are a part of who I am. They are part of my journey.

And I have, great sons, and great DIL's, and the cutest grandkids ever! Worth every single stretch mark!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

In my experience my stretch marks significantly fade with time. I used to have them on my thighs-now I can't even see them. Now the only visible ones are on my hips and stomach-not too bad though. See what happens with time-it may surprise you.

When it comes to preventing more I use cocoa butter.

Last edited by imabehot; 01-18-2014 at 03:47 PM.
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote