Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #1  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default The gym and lifting!

Sometimes, I feel like the odd girl out, because I love lifting!

When I put my ear buds in and get my music rocking, and hit the free weights, I'm where I should be!

I love it and I'm not going to quit, but the treadmill, running, ladies look at me like I'm nuts!

The guys, I've been at this gym a long time are very respectful, and have no problem sharing with me.

Even the high school football players who have spent the last month trying to get into shape, are cool with sharing with me.

However, the looks I get from all the other women,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to change what I love. I guess I wish I could get the other ladies to see that lifting, does not turn you into the "hulk", it's good for you. Staves off bone loss, helps the metabolism, and you get to be strong!

For some reason the other ladies at my gym, want to be "skinny" not fit and healthy! They think a bicep curl with a 5# dumb bell is lifting!?

I do have to say, that my job, working for a veterinarian, does require, that if you want to be good at it and safe, you need to be strong, not the same thing as riding a computer keyboard all day.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

im finding that I enjoy doing a variety of weight machines although my highest weight varies from pretty low (20 pounds bicep curl) to an okay weight (230 pound leg press).....I wont be doing the free weights though, because one wrong move could mean serious back injuries for me and I have to protect my back
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I used to love lifting! It was my fave thing to do at the gym. Then I quit going and got super fat. I'm currently getting back into it. I'm doing a 30 dumbbell challenge to start with and build my confidence at home. Then I'm going to hit the gym HARD!!!

I have to tell you, when I see another woman lifting weights I look too. But it's because I'm envious and wish I had never quit!!

I don't want to be skinny, I want to be fit! I have fitness goals I want to meet and lifting is how I'm going to get there!

Keep it up!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

I'm not comfortable enough to use free weights yet. However, I use almost every machine in my gym. I enjoy strength training. I've noticed that some of the other women give me weird looks when I'm on the machines and working on my arms especially.

I don't mind cardio, but it just gets sooo boring. I want to be healthy and strong, not just skinny.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

I love lifting too!! And you should really do free weights vs machines to reduce injury and force you to use your stabilizer muscles to keep form.

I really wish more women would lift weights - and "real" weight too!! Not those 5-10 pound weights either.

I wouldn't worry about those women at the gym looking - they are probably envious anyways. I have lost over 50 inches over 1.1 years and I know it the lifting and a diet of lean protein and leafy veggies that contribute to that vs cardio....
cosmic wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Are you sure they're giving you weird looks? Maybe they're just looking at you because they're inspired? Maybe they're too chicken to do what you do? Maybe they're in awe of you? "Awe" looks like "confusion" sometimes.

I remember once being away for the summer and joining a gym temporarily in another country. I know an insane amount about free-weights and got to it right away. The gym owner followed me around for a few days just staring at me and finally came up to me and said "I've never seen a woman do free-weights.... AND you're doing all the exercises correctly!" And then he asked if he could "train" me for free because he longs to train and no woman in the area would ever consider it so it was a nice.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I love the free weights too. I hardly ever use the machines now.

I am a lunk so I am going to give you some advice that was not asked for:

1) you won't bulk up. I do tons of weights and have just become toned. I am good with this. Bulking up would take years of work and probably extra calories/protein too! So ladies should not worry about lifting turning them into hulks.

2) don't dismiss the treadmill. I do weights 4-5 times a week. And I run every day. Running is great for cardio and my health and physique has benefitted enormouly from it. Do you do any cardio? You should try some.

Last edited by IanG; 09-01-2013 at 07:22 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote