Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Default DIY Skincare (recipes & tips)

Hello ladies!

Now that I’ve been into my “clean” lifestyle for a while now, I have been slowly trying to remove chemicals as much as I can, and I want to start including my skin care regimen. I currently use products from Origins and Burt’s Bees, but I when looking at the ingredients, it seems I could just make the products myself, without the added junk.

I’ve done some searching online and I’ve found recipes that use either olive oil (which my mother in law has sworn by since she was teen and she has beautiful skin now in her 60s) and castor oil, as well as honey, oatmeal, avocado, etc. I’ve also read really great things about using coconut oil.

Please use this thread to exchange ideas and post your favorite DIY skin care (cleanser, toner, scrub, moisturizer, etc) recipes here!
chahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #2  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

I don’t have recipes, but my mother, who has beautiful skin, uses olive oil too. I don’t know exactly what she does with it but I know she uses it in her face!
I’ll keep checking here, great thread!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I have started using olive oil for the past month or so. I think I actually read about it on here. I remember reading to use wash cloths but you have to wash them separately or your clothes will smell like oil, so instead I use viva paper towels.

My face is super soft, the first week I think I got 2-3 pimples but after that I have had really clear skin. I wouldn't even wear foundation anymore except I hate how red/flushed my face always looks so I will keep slathering it on. lol
MAK247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #4  

Silly question - Do you just dab a bit on a washcloth or in your hands and massage it into dry skin and wash like that? Or is there another way?

I saw a recipe that called for olive oil + castor oil (I'm not sure the amounts but equal parts I think) and you use it on dry skin for a cleanser. I was thinking of mixing a bottle of it for AM and PM and adding a few essential oils since I know castor oil has a strong scent. Maybe like an invigorating scent (grapefruit?) for the morning and relaxing for the evening (lavender?)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Coconut oil is awesome! (Word to the wise, you will breakout the first month but after that it is awesome). But it sort of works the way Pond's Cold Cream does, you put it on your skin and your make-up will slide of with a wash cloth that has been soaked in warm water. And then I rinse my face with warm water. I have some skin issues so I buy a store bought moisturizer but my friend does the coconut washing ritual and then uses the coconut oil as a moisturizer. She has oily skin but it seems to be working for her but she doesn't use the coconut oil as moisturizer in the morning she uses Blue Lizard facial sunscreen everyday. I think it is the only non natural thing she uses.

I also put coconut oil and rosemary extract on my scalp because it stimulates the hair follicles so if you have noticed some hair loss due to weight loss it will help.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #6  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I wash my face with honey and oatmeal (I use the oatmeal intended for baby cereal because it is finely ground). I do it in the shower so it's not as messy, and wash with water or witch hazel in between showers. I use straight coconut oil as moisturizer, and I don't rinse after. I may gently blot any excess off with a dry towel, but usually it absorbs quickly.

Before I started this regime, I was struggling with redness, dry flaky areas and other areas like an oil slick, and acne. I had acne scars and lots of unevenness and blotchy areas. Overnight the flaky skin improved drastically, and within a week my skin was noticeably improved. After several months I hardly ever wear makeup anymore, because I don't need it, and my skin looks better than it ever has since before puberty!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #7  

I decided to make my own eye cream the other day, after looking up several recipes online. I found some really cute plastic cosmetic jars at Target in the travel section - perfect size for creams.

Eye Cream:
6 capsules evening primrose oil
6 capsules vitamin e (I bought the liquid, so just make equal parts)
fill the rest with coconut oil (you may have to melt it first if it isn't at room temp)

Cut open the capsules and squeeze them into the jar. Then using a q-tip, mix the ingredients together. You should have equal parts for all the ingredients. Then, put it in the fridge so it becomes solid. (Hint: coconut oil melts at 75*, so if you leave it out, it will become liquid again).

Yesterday I tried it, and overall, I liked it. Be careful because you only need a tiny bit, otherwise you will feel oily under your eyes all day. I don't wear eye makeup, so I'm not sure if it would be easy to put on make up over it since it does take awhile to soak in.

Last edited by chahma; 07-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I make soap from scratch as a hobby and would suggest going very very sparingly with any added essential oils. I would suggest a tiny bit of tea trea as an anti fungal mixed with a drop of lavender. I am talking a drop for 8-16 ounces of oils. Grapefruit essential oil may burn your son as it is a citrus.

Coconut oil raw is great jojoba is even better for a facial moisturizer. Good for hair too.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 07-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote