Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I have naturally curly hair and straighten mine once and a while with a cheapo flat iron from Target that works perfect. I really recommend straightening cream in the hair BEFORE using it.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, y'all. My apologies for the delayed and very much not personalized response. I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger at work and by the time I get home, I've been kind of wiped out.

Anyway, I think I am going to try for a good flat iron and see if that will tame my flippy doodles. I'll get some thermal spray too because I don't want to harm my hair. There are two things I really like about my hair; the color and the fact that it is healthy. I don't want to mess up either one of those things!

ETA: Here's a picture I took today for my WW blog talking about the outfit I don't like much because it looks too manly on me. Anyway, see those blasted flippy doodles sticking out? My next pay day so I can get a flat iron can't come fast enough!

Last edited by Garnet2727; 05-16-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

If/When you get a flat iron you can use it to curl the ends under. After a week or so of using the iron to curl the ends under they will probably stay that way. I also have shortish hair with cow lick issues and the flat iron works. I let it air dry out of the shower and 5 min with a flat iron does the trick.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Agreed. For your purposes a cheaper one is fine. This is the one I use (the one inch purple) and I would recommend it. I paid $40 at Target but it is $30 on Amazon. I have shoulder length hair and I use the flat iron on med-low (the high is VERY hot) to straighten it out and curl the ends under.

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-CS710R-.../dp/B004INQ65S
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #20  

I am definitely getting a flat iron on my next payday. I think I'll go over to Target and check out what they've got. Also, my hair is not as bad today. What did I do different? I used conditioner. Maybe I need to do that every day now that I'm blowing my hair dry?
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

You should also check out tjmaxxx! My cousin got CHI flat iron from there for $40 and I saw her use it this past friday 7 yrs later!!

I straighten my hair all the time with a remington straightner from walmart, it's been 2 yrs and no problems thus far. If you have a round brush and blow dryer, you could always use the highest heat, curl the hair in with the round brush, but before taking the brush out, hit the "cool" buttom on the dryer and then curl the hair in as you take the brush out.

My mom has almost the same hair style as you and I style it everyday for her with a round brush and blow dryer (she hates flat irons) Good luck!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #22  

OK, it's official. I GIVE UP! I've been trying this style for over 2 months now and it is just NOT working. I bought a flat iron. I've tried it at several different temperatures and I still have freakin' flippy doodles. My hair just looks like crap.

I should have known better. Hair stylists freakin' always want to cut my hair into some kind of bob and I, operating under the very definition of insanity*, let them thinking, oh, it will be different this time. I've had this same kind of hair cut probably ten freaking times.

Well, it isn't different this time. It still doesn't work for me. Yes, I have fine hair but it's not straight and I don't have the skills or the patience to spend a freakin' half hour or more on it every day only to have the flippy doodles popping up again about as soon as I walk out the door!

When my stylist does my hair, it looks great. But he loads it with a bunch of stinky product and sprays the ever lovin' **** out of it. I hate that. He takes a half hour or more to blow it dry and while I've tried to emulate his technique, I just can't. Even after he gets done with it and has all that sticky icky crap in my hair, within about an hour or so, here come the blasted flippy doodles.

I just have to face that fact that my hair will never look good. I'm going to let it grow again so I can put it up in a blasted pony tail and have done with it!

ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

*The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and over again but expecting different results.

Last edited by Garnet2727; 06-25-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #23  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Now hold on there a minute missy....

Maybe it's just THAT style that's annoying you with the flippy doodles. Take a look through some magazines or online and see if you can find any styles that INCORPORATE those flippy doodles, so you don't have to fight them all the time. Maybe something a little longer but not as long as before that it weighs down your face..maybe just above your shoulders for some swing.

Here's a site that lets you upload your photo and try different hairstyles:

http://www.taaz.com/
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #24  

Thank you, Vex. I'm going to give that website a shot.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #25  

OMG, Vex! That website is amazing! It has helped me to discover that not only is the cut I have not working because I'm fighting with styling, it's also wrong for my face!

I was actually going in the right direction when I let this guy chop my hair off. I need medium length, layered hair with bangs.

Holy moly.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #26  

Here's the look from the website. I know I won't be able to get my hair to look exactly like that but I also know that it will be a lot easier than trying to force my hair into the straight bob cut I have now.

ETA: This is also making me want to try wearing make up again...

Last edited by Garnet2727; 06-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I ran into the same problem after I got a bob, one side would curve in towards my face and one side flipped out at the ends. I blow dried with a brush, without a brush, flipped my hair upside down, etc. A flat iron helped but I am hair-challenged and at best could get it to straighten but never curl inwards.

The last time I went in for a trim I asked the hairdresser and she said it is a weight issue, I guess because the hair isn't weighed down anymore? I don't know, but she put a few layers in it and evened it out a bit. I'm trying to grow it out and it has gotten to shoulder length and is finally not flipping out. The problem is, now it is annoying so I put it in a ponytail all the time again. haha

Another option is to work with the flippies instead of against, style it so it flips outwards all around and put a texturizer in to get more of a tousled look?
MAK247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #28  

Yeah. I'm thinking that I really need to go with more layered and more tousled looking and let it grow. Fighting with it just isn't working and it's irritating the crap out of me. Would I love to have a nice, smooth look? Oh, yes. But that is not the way my hair goes.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #29  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Yeah, that site is pretty fun. I actually liked playing with the makeup parts too. I must have been on there for 2 hours .
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #30  

Well, my appointment for a hair cut is this evening. I'm going to have a heart to heart with my stylist about this bob cut not working and ask for something that's more layered and not so difficult to work with.

Wish me luck!