How long did you wait after hitting goal to buy new clothes?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, I hit my official goal weight 15 days ago (yay! and very happy about it), but I still haven't bought any new fitting clothers - especially my old pants are very very saggy, and I'd really like to get new jeans too. But, on the other hand, this is my second time around losing this weight and I'm worried I won't be able to keep it off, or end up maintaining at a slightly higher weight - so I don't want to spend a lot of money on good clothes that I won't be able to wear in some time. So, how long did you wait for your weight to settle before going out and getting new clothes?

I might add that I'm not very fashion-conscious anyway, all I want at the moment for instance is one pair of jeans and one dress for dance classes, but I also want them to last me for a couple of years, so I'm willing to shell out some cash for good quality and looks that I love, and will likely also invest some time in finding the right items. So just getting "temporary" cheap clothing ... I'm not really interested in doing that. I guess I find shopping kind of stressful and not a pleasurable activity, so if I don't get a really huge reward at the end, I'd just rather stick with my saggy pants
  • I don't remember how long it was but I am sure it was not many days. I went into it with a no holds barred attitude, and spent way too much money. I was so happy to buy clothes that were not extra large, pants that did not have elastic waistbands, and I actually went to a normal store and bought normal sizes. Saggy pants ? I threw them out !
  • I bought things as I went along because I was just so excited to be dropping into smaller sizes! It was my second time around doing this as well, so I've been back up through those sizes too, once before -_-

But if I were you I would invest in one or two things that really make you feel good! You can wear them proudly as opposed to hiding in your saggy bottoms! lol
  • I buy new clothes every two weeks as I lose! I have lost five pant sizes already and four shirt sizes.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • I'm not at goal but trying not to buy too much, except I do. I keep having almost wardrobe malfunctions so clothes shopping is a must. I'm the smallest I have been in over 10 years so almost nothing fits that I have. I shop only with coupons and sales and thriftshops as I don't plan on wearing these new clothes too long either. Congrats on hitting goal!!
  • Thanks everyone for the replies

Today is day 29 of maintenance, and although I've still continued to lose in the maintenance phase, I'm pretty positive I do NOT want to go lower. Plus, I've told myself that I'll get new pants for 30 days of maintenance, so I'll go shopping pretty soon!! Exciting!

elvislover - you're right! It's really time to invest in a couple of good quality items that'll make me feel good about myself. I had to resort to using a hairpin to hold my pants up at work one day this week because I was getting dangerously close to having my pants fall down So, soon! Maybe I'll even post pictures
  • Have fun pants shopping!! And 29 days maintaining is awesome, congrats!!

I have a pair of pants that I use a binder clip to hold them up. My husband did give me a funny look when he saw it (and told me to go get some pants that fit LOL!) but these are my favorite workout pants! And then I showed him the 2 patches that were ironed inside on the thighs. Too funny!
  • i bought all the way down but not a lot, just a couple pants/tops because i feel that it's important to try to look your best no matter what because it's motivating! And baggy pants are just...yuck, i can't stand it! Now that you're at goal, go all out and treat yourself and spend time ENJOYING the new you, it's what you've worked hard for!!
  • I agree bought clothes all the way through ! Having clothes that are falling off of me is not a good look...and my family always brought it to my attention...you're not wearing that mom in Public are you? So as not to embarrass and shame my children ...LOL .... I bought clothes that fit as i went along. Nothing fancy pants ,tops,panties...oh yes ...do not want droopy butt panties!!
    Enjoy taking the Elevator down so to speak in clothing ....I enjoyed the drop in sizes was a great way to keep on track!
  • So I went to the Levis store and tried on a couple of jeans yesterday - I'm feeling ambivalent about it - I liked those jeans actually and they were really small sizes I didn't end up buying them though because the "I'm worried I'll regain all the weight and then this will just be a monstrous reminder of how badly I screwed up" thoughts won out again. Gotta say, I did buy smaller sized clothes in the past when I had lost weight, and tossed them out once I regained. Plus, I'm really really low in my weight atm, I don't even know if I can or really want to stay here. So maybe hold out a couple more weeks and get a belt instead

I find it kind of amusing watching myself doing this ... it reminds me of my dog when she's curious but also afraid of something, and she comes a step closer towards it, sniffs, and then goes away, only to repeat the sequence 20 seconds later. That dance will go on for quite a while usually. That's how my clothes-shopping experience feels too! Curious and wanting but too scared to get too close!
  • Quote: So I went to the Levis store and tried on a couple of jeans yesterday - I'm feeling ambivalent about it - I liked those jeans actually and they were really small sizes I didn't end up buying them though because the "I'm worried I'll regain all the weight and then this will just be a monstrous reminder of how badly I screwed up" thoughts won out again. Gotta say, I did buy smaller sized clothes in the past when I had lost weight, and tossed them out once I regained. Plus, I'm really really low in my weight atm, I don't even know if I can or really want to stay here. So maybe hold out a couple more weeks and get a belt instead

I find it kind of amusing watching myself doing this ... it reminds me of my dog when she's curious but also afraid of something, and she comes a step closer towards it, sniffs, and then goes away, only to repeat the sequence 20 seconds later. That dance will go on for quite a while usually. That's how my clothes-shopping experience feels too! Curious and wanting but too scared to get too close!
    Oh sweety, believe in yourself and get yourself some nice things! If it's the $$ investment, try a consignment shop or the Goodwill (the nicest pair of Levi's I ever owned was this past winter and they were $2.50 at the Goodwill. They didn't look like they were worn twice...).

And the dog reference, I totally get it!! And I love how you worded it, exactly like it happens at my house with my doggy!

You have worked so hard to get to goal, I hope in time you can finally make some peace with yourself inside and not worry about gaining any back. The difference this time around is that you have all of us.
  • "worried you will regain the weight" is a self defeating attitude. Why not be proud of what you have done and be prepared to maintain it ?You will feel so much better and certainly look better with clothes that fit. You do NOT have to regain, even if you did in the past, it is not a rule that you will regain. I have been that route, lose, regain, etc. I decided I would not do that again and have been successfully maintaining . you can, too !
  • Congrats alizarin! I bought clothes throughout (I lived in sweater dresses and leggings in the fall/winter). However I did not by jeans or anything that was not stretchable until after I hit goal.
  • I bought clothes the entire way down. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on clothing. There was no better feeling than buying medium sized clothes and never wondering if I'll look horrible in clothes. If something didn't look good on me, it was a fault of the garment. :-)

Do NOT walk around in clothes that are too big for you. You have worked way too hard for that! Big/saggy clothes make you look terrible (at any size), IMHO.
  • Quote: I bought clothes the entire way down. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on clothing. There was no better feeling than buying medium sized clothes and never wondering if I'll look horrible in clothes. If something didn't look good on me, it was a fault of the garment. :-)

Do NOT walk around in clothes that are too big for you. You have worked way too hard for that! Big/saggy clothes make you look terrible (at any size), IMHO.
    AGREE!!!! If you are on a strict budget hit the thrift and resale shops...but FEEL GOOD about yourself every day. Dig out those old necklaces and scarves too...It's time to call attention to your progress....

AND...when you need to downsize again...bag the nicest stuff up and take it to a resale place so you get a few bucks to go shopping with now...or if the season is right...wait til you hit goal and get a wad of cash .

I've changed pants sizes about every 4-5 weeks for the last 3 months....and don't forget you ARE worth it!