Calling all fashionistas: Help!

• I'm getting ready for DD's grad party (May 19) where over 150 people will be at my house. I also have her actual graduation the following week and a few award/scholarship banquets to attend. I need dresses!! I'm hoping to be in the high 160s by then, but have no idea what styles to look for that will flatter my shape. I'm a pretty traditional apple with C/D cup boobs, very little waist definition and slimmish hips and legs. I have gained some attractive bat wings on my upper arms that I don't remember seeing before, so I'm leery of sleeveless, but it's not a deal breaker. Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated!!
  • Wear what ever is comfortable and remember the party isn't about you, unless you are graduating also.
  • You would probably do well with a knee length fit and flare type dress. Something to create volume on the bottom to balance your top and mid section. You could also try on a scoop or V neck wrap type.
  • Birdsnest allows you to search for dresses by body shape. It might give you some ideas of what to look for when you shop.

And this website gives fashion advice based on body shape.
  • I'd say... Consider a skirt/top combo, too! Aside from that...

Texture or maybe diagonal stripes or a small pattern on the bottom half and block colour on the top half could help with the proportion. A peplum skirt or top, or a full skirt (think: 50s swing dress) could give more volume below the waist. Wide, even super wide belts are good for nipping you in at the waist. You could go for a little shrug or cardigan if you find something awesome but sleeveless. Also handy if it gets cold A wide scarf could do the same thing.

Just thought of something!! I'll show you my dream dress. Pricey, but when I hit goal I'm saving up for one! This would work really well, I think, or something along these lines. Also, still dressy and unique, but not glitzy or overdoing it

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/327201

Have a lovely time, and congrats to your daughter on her graduation!
  • Peplum blouse with pencil skirt
  • Quote: Peplum blouse with pencil skirt

yes !!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I have a good starting place. I'll probably have to buy at least 2 outfits, but I don't want to spend a fortune on something that will hopefully be too big soon!
  • Call a local department store like Macy's for example - most have personal shoppers there that work for the store. I've done this before when buying for a special occassion. You go visit them or call them, tell them your size, what you're looking for etc. Then they pull a lot of dresses for you to try so you don't have to go rummaging. It also helps to have them there as another pair of eyes and show you what fits and what doesn't. A

Also, don't be afraid of tailoring! Find something that you like that fits the biggest part of you and tailor the rest.
  • Wannabeskinny: that is a great idea. I think I'll hit the mall in 2-3 weeks when I'm hopefully a solid size 12! I will call both Macy's and Dillard's beforehand to make appointments!