Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

Default Bra sizes, what the heck is going on?

I am wearing a 34 DDD bra right now, (do you know how hard a size that is to find? sigh) I tried on bras the other day trying to find a minimizer that actually minimizes (yeah right) AND I was trying to find a C cup bra in Bali brand, I try on at walmart and I am in a D cup in some and a DD in others. Why can't they all be the same general size. I swear I am going to scream sometimes. I think bras might be worse than jeans. GRRRRRR.
Ok raving over, please continue with your regular broadcasting.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Try shopping at store that recognizes the fact that the bra alphabet goes beyond D/DD/DDDDDD/etc. I wear a 34H. If I went to a store that only stocked bras up to Ds, they'd try to convince me I was a 38DDD.

Try Nordstrom or a local bra boutique, NOT victorias secret.

Your life will change when you wear a properly fitted bra (and you won't need a minimizer.)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

ive discovered that a 34B and a 36B are not the same cup size by any means *sigh*...it's like the 34B size is wayyy smaller...what?!?...i always figured my cup size was the same if my rib size around got smaller, that my boob size didn't change...it's weird...and ive never gotten a 34 anything because apparently the stores here think if you're that small, you either want sports bras or frilly, colorful, push up bras...which i don't...LOL i just want comfortable, full coverage ones
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #4  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
ive discovered that a 34B and a 36B are not the same cup size by any means *sigh*...it's like the 34B size is wayyy smaller...what?!?.
They are actually smaller because the circumference is factored into the size of the cup. That's why you hear that if you go UP a band size, you can go DOWN a cup size. It's a ratio thing.

I highly recommend going to a nice store and having a professional fitting. Try on several expensive bras (write down the ones you like) and buy your favorite. Then look for the rest online at better prices.

I am currently a 38H. It's huge, horrid, hefty... bras are serious equipment for survival in my world
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

I wear a 42H and it is hard to find bras that fit. I went to Lane Bryant and they didn't even have any in stock.
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Wearing a minimizer is not a good idea. It squishes your breasts (duh lol) but that causes your breast tissue to migrate elsewhere, like your armpits or your back.

A lot of people say go get fitted, but not every store knows how to properly fit (Which is why Seagirl said don't go to Victoria's Secret). I say measure yourself. It's not hard. Measure your ribcage tightly, then measure the fullest part of your breasts (Mine sag, so I have to bend over and measure around my boobs that way). Never add any inches to the band like a lot of bra websites tell you.

Your underbust/ribcage measurement is your band size. To get your cup size, you substract your underbust measurement from your bust measurement. The number of inches left is your cup size.

US sizing:
1" = A cup
2" = B cup
3" = C cup
4" = D cup
5" = DD cup
6" = DDD/E cup
7" = G cup (For Freya and Panache brands this is an F cup)
8"= H cup (FF for Freya and Panache)
9" = I cup (G for Freya and Panache)
10" = J cup (GG for Freya and Panache)
11" = K cup (H for Freya and Panache)

Last edited by Daki; 03-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daki View Post
Wearing a minimizer is not a good idea. It squishes your breasts (duh lol) but that causes your breast tissue to migrate elsewhere, like your armpits or your back.

A lot of people say go get fitted, but not every store knows how to properly fit (Which is why Seagirl said don't go to Victoria's Secret). I say measure yourself. It's not hard. Measure your ribcage tightly, then measure the fullest part of your breasts (Mine sag, so I have to bend over and measure around my boobs that way). Never add any inches to the band like a lot of bra websites tell you.

Your underbust/ribcage measurement is your band size. To get your cup size, you substract your underbust measurement from your bust measurement. The number of inches left is your cup size.

US sizing:
1" = A cup
2" = B cup
3" = C cup
4" = D cup
5" = DD cup
6" = DDD/E cup
7" = G cup (For Freya and Panache brands this is an F cup)
8"= H cup (FF for Freya and Panache)
9" = I cup (G for Freya and Panache)
10" = J cup (GG for Freya and Panache)
11" = K cup (H for Freya and Panache)
Great (and correct) advice on measuring yourself. I was surprised to find that I was a 36D which meant that I apparently was wearing the wrong size the whole time from 226 until 180ish. Don't get too surprised or call BS (like I did, lol) if you find that your band size is smaller than you thought.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Bra shopping is just about my least favorite thing! I don't have any advice just commiseration!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 251.5/162/140

Height: 5'3"

I completely agree with Daki. It is great to be able to find an expert bra fitter, but you can also measure yourself. I love the this calculator: http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm . I've been professionally fitted twice now as I've lost weight & each time the calculator came up with my correct size. You still will have a lot of trial & error because each individual bra manufacturer is not consistent--32 band may fit like at 34, etc., but at least you have the correct starting point. You may have to buy online once you find your size because local stores (except Nordstrom's around here) just don't seem to carry a realistic range of sizes. I like https://www.herroom.com/ and http://www.barenecessities.com/default.aspx. Good luck!
amyk0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

lol thanks, Amandie! I had been wearing a 38C for well over a decade when I found out that I needed to be a 36DD. The scarier part is I was wearing that whether I was 155 or 207lbs. After I figured out my size I gained some weight, then needed a 36E. Gained a bunch more, needed a 38F. Lost some, now a 38E. My bra size is highly dependent upon my current weight.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Some good advice I got about bra shopping is to pick one that feels great when you hook it on the LOOSEST eye. All bras eventually start to give in the elastic, and if you start on the loosest eye, you still have room to tighten up the bra by moving to a tighter eye. Hope that makes sense
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #12  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Do you have a bra outlet .. L'eggs-Hanes outlet? They size you and carry the bigger brands.
I am planning to get resized there in the near future. I agree the sizing is crazy w/bras.
I have Bali bras that find me differently even though they are the same brand.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #13  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Try shopping at store that recognizes the fact that the bra alphabet goes beyond D/DD/DDDDDD/etc. I wear a 34H. If I went to a store that only stocked bras up to Ds, they'd try to convince me I was a 38DDD.

Try Nordstrom or a local bra boutique, NOT victorias secret.

Your life will change when you wear a properly fitted bra (and you won't need a minimizer.)
THIS> I was cramming myself into a 54 ddd for years until I got fitted for a proper H. Now not only do I look good in tops, I'm comfortable and my girls are rounding out and look better than they ever have because they're not being misshapen by a bad bra.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #14  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

This is a great guide to measuring yourself, and it has pictures that show the different ways in which a bra can fit incorrectly. I have been referring to it a lot since my bra size seems to change with every 3lbs lost. :/

www.breakoutbras.com/sizing

I haven't ever bought from them, because I have really small boobs so its fairly easy for me to shop at less expensive places, but I take what I learned there and compare to the sizing chart wherever I am shopping.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #15  
A determined quirky chick

S/C/G: 265/227/160

Height: 5'8"

Bra shopping is totally worse than about any type of clothing shopping. I am a 42GG, and I can barely find bras. I am never able to find them in stores. I have to buy mine online - usually at Lane Bryant because they generally have more than one or two to choose from, unlike other places. You're looking at $40-$80 for special sizes. Maybe the C cup bras are cheaper on there, you could take a look - I just know the special order sizes are high. You could also go to Lane Bryant (or another place that does it) and have them measure you to get your exact size, and they'd have C and D cups in their stores. Though that is kinda uncomfy.
Quirky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote