Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #1  
On a Mission!

S/C/G: 298/258.2/198

Height: 5'7

Default Bare Minerals Makeup - Any reviews?

One of my rewards is to buy some new make up. I am feeling alot better about myself and I feel more girlie, so I was looking at getting some new makeup. I love the idea of the Bare Minerals because very natural and minimilistic.

I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies have gotten your hands on it and if you enjoy it or prefer something else.
Verm0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I used to use Bare Minerals up until about 6 years ago when I discovered Smoky Mountain Minerals. No comparison! SMM is also about 1/3 the price of Bare Minerals. They offer discounts every week when you are signed up for their email newsletters and they always have FREE shipping!! You can also order sample sizes. SMM is organic, natural, gluten free, has natural SPF and best of all, does not contain bismuth oxycholoride like Bare Minerals. Bismuth Oxycholoride is the ingredient that causes itching, redness and irritation.
I absolutely LOVE SMM and can't say enough good about it!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #3  
On a Mission!

That's great! Thank you! I'll definitly look into them versus Bare Minerals.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have very sensitive skin, and minereal makeups are the only makeup I can wear - and even then usually for only a few hours. With most mineral makeups (including Bare Minerals) I have about a six hour window before my skin starts to react (becoming itchy, red, inflamed and broken out in pimples and/or a rash).

My sister and mother gave me some Bare Minerals as a gift, and I was able to wear makeup for the first time in several years (but I had to get it off my face within about 6 hours before my skin would become irritated). Still it was nice to be able to wear makeup occasionally. I switched to Covergirl mineral makeup, and that worked just as well as Bare Minerals for me (no more or less coverage or irritation).

Then JerseyGyrl turned me onto Smoky Mountain Minerals, and I've become a huge fan.

I haven't had any problems with the SMM products. I've tried a few other online mineral product brands also (free or nearly free samples, mostly) and I haven't found any as gentle on my skin or with as good a coverage.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #5  
On a Mission!

kaplods: Honestly that's great to hear! I do have sensitive skin and tend to get a bit red in the cheeks (rosacea runs in my family but I've never gotten it checked out.)

I will now most definitely try that brand over Bare Minerals.

Thanks ladies!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I love Bare Minerals. I've always hated liquid foundation, but Bare Minerals was the first foundation I could ever stand to wear. What amazes me is that I'm super oily, my mom is dry and super sensitive, and we both can wear it.

I also like Philosophy supernatural powder foundation. It's in a sponge-topped jar, so it's a little less messy than Bare Escentuals. I like it for travel.

Happy makeup shopping!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verm0nster View Post
kaplods: Honestly that's great to hear! I do have sensitive skin and tend to get a bit red in the cheeks (rosacea runs in my family but I've never gotten it checked out.)

I will now most definitely try that brand over Bare Minerals.

Thanks ladies!

Between SMM makeup and low-carb/paleo (no grain) eating, my skin has never looked better (at least not since pre-puberty).

For years (decades, really) I also had what appeared to be rosacea, but now it only "flares" if I've eaten grains or used non-SMM makeup. I don't even get the odd pimple any more unless I'm eating what I shouldn't, or not getting makeup removed fully before bed.

I've been trying to convince my middle sister (who has acne issues) to try SMM and experimenting with giving up grains and sugar (as an experiment).

She's really devoted to Bare Minerals though, although I suspect she assumes that more expensive means higher quality - it's a prejudice I've fought in my family for decades so they all assume that my fondness for SMM has more to do with it being cheaper than Bare Minerals, though if cost was my bottom line, I would have stuck with Cover Girl or E.L.F. mineral makeups.

I'm willing to pay for quality when I get a comparable return - but if I'm going to spend twice as much for Product B as Product A, I expect Product B to be twice as good - if it's ten times as expensive, I expect it to be ten times as good.

Bare Minerals was four times the expense of the CoverGirl (last I checked) but NOT four times the value (in fact it was pretty much identical in my experience). However, I can justify the greater expense of SMM, because it was twice the cost of what I was using, but exponentially better. If SMM was twice as expensive, I STILL would consider it a bargain.

I never was brand-conscious with makeup before (I bought whatever was cheapest and still covered without irritating my skin).

The only complaint I had with SMM (and it's not really a complaint) is that I initially bought the lightest color (which has always worked for me in the past, because I'm quite pale). I ended up having to buy a darker shade (but that's what's so neat about SMM they have color-correcting foundation to lighten or darken foundation, so you can mix a custom shade).

I love being able to adjust my foundation shade to my current skin color, because I'm much paler in the winter than in the summer.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The only complaint I had with SMM (and it's not really a complaint) is that I initially bought the lightest color (which has always worked for me in the past, because I'm quite pale). I ended up having to buy a darker shade (but that's what's so neat about SMM they have color-correcting foundation to lighten or darken foundation, so you can mix a custom shade).

I love being able to adjust my foundation shade to my current skin color, because I'm much paler in the winter than in the summer.
I buy the light shade in the Winter months and add the darkener during the Summer months as my skin is also darker in Summer and paler in Winter.

I also use SMM veils, blushes & bronzer. I have tried MANY bronzers, SMM is the only one I use because it is specifically made for light skin. The shade is perfect for my skin tone....I don't end up looking like the great pumpkin like I do with many other bronzers. I LOVE the SMM soft pink, peach & dark mauve blushes! And their veils are the perfect finishing touch to leave my skin looking flawless.

I am almost 51 years old, have combination skin and this stuff makes me look flawless with absolutely no irritation. That being said, lots of my younger friends use SMM and love it as much as I do. SMM seems to work well for all ages & skin types.

Ordering is easy, they always offer discounts and shipping is FREE! Should you ever have a problem, they are a great company to do business with and will rectify your problem quickly.

As Kaplods said," If SMM was twice as expensive, I STILL would consider it a bargain". I feel exactly the same way. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am a former Bare Minerals user. Bottom line is, I am not a Bare Minerals fan. I could never find the right shade for my skin tone and due to the bismuth oxycholoride, it irritated my skin. My switching to SMM had nothing to do with the cost. In my opinion (and obviously Kaplods), SMM is simply a better product. I've been using SMM for about 6 years now and have no intention of using anything else. When you find something that works, you stick with it! Much like an eating plan....low carb works for me!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-21-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

I forgot to mention SMM Bright Eyes Pink Under Eye Concealer. This is my HG (Holy Grail) concealer product!

I am almost 51 and yes, I have undereye dark circles. I have tried every concealer out there....expensive to cheap....and nothing seemed to work. After watching numerous video's on YouTube, I learned the importance of color correctors (thank you, thank you, thank you Gossmakeupartist!) I use CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless yellow color corrector under my eyes to neutralize the darkness and then I apply the SMM Pink Under Eye Concealer over that and set it with a little pressed powder (L'oreal True Match). This makes my under eyes look fresh, bright and awake. So, if you're looking for a great under eye concealer, I urge you to give this a try
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I just got Bare Minerals Well Rested a week or so ago and I love it! It's an eye brightener/concealer, I got it for under my eyes and it's fantastic. I also tried it over a blemish and again it covered it perfectly. It's becoming my favorite concealer as it really does make a huge difference!

As for general mineral make up I use Lily Lolo mineral foundation, it's cheaper than BM and again it's incredibly gentle. It covers really well and the staying power can't be faulted. I have normal/dry skin and this doesn't look dry powdery on me. There's only a couple of ingredients too :-)
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity907 View Post
I just got Bare Minerals Well Rested a week or so ago and I love it! It's an eye brightener/concealer, I got it for under my eyes and it's fantastic. I also tried it over a blemish and again it covered it perfectly. It's becoming my favorite concealer as it really does make a huge difference!
I've tried Bare Minerals Well Rested.....but....my dark circles are beyond what it does. I know there are lots of raves about Bare Minerals Bisque, which also does nothing for my under eye circles.
I like the SMM Bright Eyes Pink Under Eye Concealer because its creamy and gives great coverage and really brightens the eye area. A powder like Well Rested or Bisque just seems to accentuate any fine lines. Not a very attractive look.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Quote:
I have undereye dark circles. I have tried every concealer out there....expensive to cheap....and nothing seemed to work
I have these too and have tried EVERYTHING with no luck. Despite all the expensive brands in my drawer that ended up doing nothing, I've found the cover girl yellow stick works best. (and even not that great) I may try what you suggest with the pink underneath and see how that works.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I have these too and have tried EVERYTHING with no luck. Despite all the expensive brands in my drawer that ended up doing nothing, I've found the cover girl yellow stick works best. (and even not that great) I may try what you suggest with the pink underneath and see how that works.
Keep in mind, nothing is going to completely conceal the darkness under your eyes....the key is to lighten & brighten that area.
The correctors will neutralize the darkness. For me, I've found the yellow topped with the pink seems to work best.
I use a primer first (usually Rimmel Fix & Perfect) then I use my fingers or a concealer brush to apply the yellow concealer. I use CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless eye corrector in shade 230 (yellow). I apply a little to the inner corner of the eye and about half way under the eye, concentrating on where the discoloration is darkest. I tap it into the skin with my finger....DO NOT RUB. Then I top it with the SMM Bright Eyes Pink Under Eye Concealer. I apply this to the entire under eye area to the top of my cheek. Again, I lightly tap it into my skin to blend. Lastly, I set this with some pressed powder. I usually use L'oreal True Match but, any pressed powder will work just fine. The key is to not use too much, especially if you have fine lines under your eyes.
Check out Gossmakeupartist on YouTube. The man is a makeup genuis! I've learned so much from him!!
Hope this works as well for you as it does for me!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I've tried Bare Minerals Well Rested.....but....my dark circles are beyond what it does. I know there are lots of raves about Bare Minerals Bisque, which also does nothing for my under eye circles.
I like the SMM Bright Eyes Pink Under Eye Concealer because its creamy and gives great coverage and really brightens the eye area. A powder like Well Rested or Bisque just seems to accentuate any fine lines. Not a very attractive look.
I tried out Bisque in a department store, I know it's described as a concealer for light skin tones but when i came out into natural light, I looked lightly sunburned where it had been applied! Was way too dark for me. The only other concealer I've used which I really felt made a bit of difference to my under eyes is the Maybelline mineral concealer.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote