Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #1  

Default Why You Should Go to the Spa

It's one of the best non-food rewards for losing weight and/or exercising and/or sticking to your diet that I can think of. If you can afford it, it's a wonderful way of showing love to your body. (I can afford it because I take the healthy lunch route and brown-bag every day instead of eating out.) Maybe you don't think you're beautiful enough now to show your body love. But think about it--right now is when your body needs the most love! I, personally, hate my body. But every other month I treat myself to a nice massage and/or facial/skin treatment. The massage is a reward for my body. I am rewarding that it is working so hard running. The skin treatment is a reward for swimming. Even though I am fat, facials brighten my skin and make my face more attractive. It's a way I can become more attractive, even when the scale won't budge. It's good for my organs and joints and muscles--a real body tune-up.

My husband and I are going to Ireland for 11 days next month, and at the end of the trip I am getting a leg/foot massage. It will be my thank-you to my body after days of hiking, dancing and carrying my backpack everywhere.

Do any of you go to spas? What are your favorite treatments?
QueenofThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

I second that! Definitely getting a massage very soon!
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I love massages. I got a gift certificate for Christmas - saving it for a special treat soon. We have natural mineral springs here - I'd like to try a mineral bath, too.

I love pedicures, too. Although I'm a little skittish since I had a plantar wart several years ago. I can't prove I got it from a pedicure, but it's the most likely explanation. That sucker took 2 years and over $200 in copays to get rid of.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Swedish and therapeutic.

I've had facials and waxes before, but those two massage styles I really love. Oh, and I did prenantal massage when pregnant. That was lovely for that time too.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-09-2012 at 09:41 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

Astrophe, ever had a hot stone massage? I did once, a few winters ago. It was lovely - instead of the tingly, ~~I feel like my muscles have turned to jello~~ feeling, you just feel like a puddle. It's like your muscles melt. Mmmmm, now I want one of those, too.

Last edited by Riddy; 02-10-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #6  

Riddy, LOL, I had one of these a year ago, and after it was over, I told the tech, you should tell people to bring their pajamas with them, so they can just wear them home. I felt like I just wanted to melt into bed. Very relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
Astrophe, ever had a hot stone massage? I did once, a few winters ago. It was lovely - instead of the tingly, ~~I feel like my muscles have turned to jello~~ feeling, you just feel like a puddle. It's like your muscles melt. Mmmmm, now I want one of those, too.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I am glad you brought this up. I needed a back massage last year because I was in serious pain, and when I was offered a complete body massage for not much more money, I refused just because I was embarrased to show my whole body. I don't mind people seeing my back (best feature!), but I would not feel comfortable if somebody saw all my cellulite! Am I too shy? Are these therapists used to seeing "everything" and they don't mind? And yes, I am terribly shy as to my body... Anybody there that would feel the same, or knows how to solve this problem?
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #8  
Shrinking Chick

inglesita, I've gotten massages at my highest weight, and never really thought twice about it. I'm sure the therapists have seen much worse. If it bothers you, tip them well. And they only uncover the part of you they're working on, so it's not like you're laying there nakkies.

This thread got me thinking how my back is all knotty, so today I made an appointment for a massage at the chiropractor's. It's not the day spa, but she has her one little room set up nice. And it's only $50 for an hour - way cheaper than the day spas here.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #9  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

I must mention try looking on LivingSocial and Groupon!! They have awesome specials in my area. Just last week I bought a voucher for a one hour Swedish massage, full body paraffin wax treatment, foot scrub and hot towel treatment for only $50!!

Last edited by TiffNeedsChange; 02-14-2012 at 12:39 AM.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #10  
Shrinking Chick

That's a great deal, Tiff!

I thoroughly enjoyed my massage on Wednesday. It was so good, I dozed off at the end.

Now I want another.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've always envied people who could afford spa vacations and weight loss retreats, but it was never in my budget, then several years ago it dawned on me that there was no reason I couldn't bring the spa to me.

I really believe that one of the core elements of my current success is due to the "spa attitude." My new philosophy is to make my every day life as much like a spa retreat as I can. I don't have the time to pamper myself 24/7, but I do have time to do something special every day, and I don't have to pay anyone to do it for me (which is good, because we're struggling just to get dental and medical treatment paid for).

I love shopping, but I can't afford to, so I shop thrift stores (and have found clothes I would never have been able to afford at their regular, retail price - and many of them were never worn, still having the original tags on them).

Having the "spa" mentality, means I can pamper myself even when I have little or no money.

Ironically, two of my newest pamperings was a pair of felted slippers I made myself, and a Christmas gift I received of an electric blanket. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and my joints and muscles ache a lot. Since I received the electric blanket, whenever I'm sore, I get into comfy jammies, slip under the covers and turn on the electric blanket. Even if it's the middle of the day and I have chores I want to accomplish - getting under the warmed blankets for 20 minutes to an hour feels so wonderful. Sometimes I'll do paperwork and stuff I can do in bed, under the warm covers - other times I really indulge and take a nap.

Another indulgence is a mug of flavored tea or cocoas. I love white chocolate so I bought a bottle of Torani's sugar free white chocolate flavored syrup and add a splash to warmed almond milk (40 to 60 calories per cup - even with the syrup). It's quick, inexpensive, and yet feels about as decadent as can be (and sometimes I really make it a pamper-fest by drinking it under the electric blanket while reading a novel).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186.6/166.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Kaplods,

I really like your attitude. I too, love to experience pampering but forget all of the wonderful ways to pamper myself that don't take extra cash. Although, to put aside a few bucks for a special treatment to look forward to is definitely deserved. I recently repainted our new to us bedroom and it's such a comforting place to relax. It makes me go "Ahhhhhhh" to be in it.
proulxliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

I am planning on using spa treatments as some of my rewards for sticking to my WOE. I'm lucky that I have a beauty school near me that has a clinic where I can get spa treatments for a fraction of the cost. I've gone several times over the years and cannot tell the difference between this place and the pricey salons.

However, I've always done facials, pedis, and manis because I'm way too insecure about having them massage my overweight body.
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote