Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #46  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

This will be a bit of a tangent here, but here it goes . . .

Re: attempting to order online by size guides. I can't do it! You look up a size by waist, say 28 (me), and the corresponding hip size is 36-38, but my hips are 34. If I go by hip size it puts me in 2 sizes smaller, which wouldnt fit. But this is probably why pants never fit me right.

Sizes are DUMB. I have so many different sizes, and since I thrift store shop now the sizes mean even less! I have a baggy pair of khakis from Abercrombie (thrift store) size 4, but a tight pair of size 6s from some brand I've never hear of (also thrift), a pair of jeans from the Walmart Jr section in size 9, fit decent. A pair of jean capris from Anchor Blue (thrift) that say 7/8. I have a couple Medium sized skirts and Medium size dress, but found a Small skirt from The Gap that is almost too big (elastic waist, thrift store, possibly stretched). BUT I also had a pair of 12s from Old Navy my friend gave me from when she was in high school (12 years ago) and they BARELY fit.

Dear Sizes, you suck! You make no sense!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #47  

I love reading your posts, Melissa. You always bring me back to reality when I get myself all worked up after reading some threads.

And you are correct, the size numbers mean squat. And I should know that already, but I get hung up on them and think they define me (just like I do with the scale). This especially happens in stores that you get the hairy eyeball from a sales clerk who thinks you are shopping for someone else than yourself. Sorry, I didn't know your size 16 clothes are really size 12s! And I leave the store with my tail between my legs red faced.

I have a pair of size 20 khakis I bought at an LLBean outlet for like $3 around Christmas-time. I am almost totally out of 20s (yay!) but these pants I can't even get 1/2 way up my thighs. I bought a pair of 18 shorts that same day for $2.50 and I might not be wearing those for another 50lbs! I figured LLBean would cater to more "rugged" women than little petite non-fat ladies but I guess not!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #48  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks Elvislover!

Ironically, it's a size 16 LL bean skirt that I have. My husband ordered it for me in 1994 (I think that's the year - could be 1995). I was wearing a size 16 in every other brand, and the largest size they carried was a 16. It was too tight. I could SQUEEEEEZE myself into it, but it was fugly. So, it went to my closet - never, ever to be worn until 2012. When I was wearing between an 8/10 in everything else, this size 16 skirt finally fit perfectly.

When I went to their store to try something on, just for sh$ts and giggles, I could SQUEEEEZE myself into a 10. I tried on a 12 and the waist fit, but now I had a hanging crotch. Made me realize why my MIL likes LLBean. She has a super tiny waist and bigger hips. it's like the only brand that can fit both waist and hip for her.

But even they have vanity sized things if the 16 from eons ago and 10/12 are about the same size.

LockitUp - I thrift shop quite a bit too and I have to eyeball the sizes all the time. It can be quite time consuming to sift through the racks as they already aren't separated by sizes except Plus size taken out, but then besides the sizes, you have to guess the age of the item and what that size means. Back in the changing room I might have a 6 to a 20 in my hands that all appear to be the same sizes! And yes, I've tried a vintage size 20 that was too small for me when I weighed 170ish pounds! Reminded me why I never liked shopping at vintage shops. Women used to be TINY and the ones who weren't, wore moo-moos.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #49  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I also agree sizes are crazy - both the changes in the numbers over time, and also how size charts with measurements have no real correlation to how something actually fits on the human body.

I'm just back into my Old Navy rockstar skinny jeans in size 18. When I got down to 198, I had a pair in size 14 that was starting to get a bit loose. But I have old (pre-spandex) size 16 jeans from Victoria's Secret that didn't even pull up at that point, and I would probably be in an 8 in the Old Navy jeans before they did, a 10 at most.

On the other hand, with broad shoulders, a wide ribcage and big boobs, I'm not sure I'll ever get into non-plus sized tops. I'd love to, don't get me wrong! But at 198, I wasn't even close to misses/junior XXL tops, as they are cut much smaller than a womans 1X.

I am losing weight a bit differently this time though - last time, I started at 263 and it took about 35 lbs before I could wear 1X. This time, I started at 257 and it only took 15 more lbs before I could break out some of my 1X stuff I had bought the last time. So maybe I am finally losing more quickly on top and I may actually get to an XL or even an XXL when I get back to 198?

I try to not pay too much attention to sizes but more than anything, I want to be completely out of plus sizes, and anything beyond that is just a bonus.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote