Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

Default Do your gym clothes need to be stylish?

Granted, I need to buy some new gym clothes, I noticed I prefer to have "outfits" to go to the gym in. As of now, I have the beat up t-shirt, capri sweats, or sweat pants. I hate all of my gym clothes and really wish I had stuff more stylish. I even change my outfits if I think that the one makes me look too fat =/

Do you wear stylish stuff to gym? Do you care what you wear?
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I don't belong to a gym but I know that if I did, its "public" nature would make me want to look as good as possible.

If your outfit dictates how you feel about yourself, I think it's important to wear your most flattering, confidence-inspiring clothes to the gym. Self-conscious discomfort makes for unpleasant workouts.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #3  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I bought a bunch of running shorts and tops from the Nike Outlet. I love the shorts especially for my cardio time at the gym. The tops are small so I think it flatters my smaller body now while their dri-fit fabric allows my sweat to have a place to go.

Most importantly, I need support for my chest so I bought a few supportive sports bras! I don't have an extensive gym wardrobe but I do have 3-4 running shorts, a few pairs of yoga pants and 10 or so dri-fit tees.

Color wise is pretty boring: black, grey, white, blue....repeat
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/162/140

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I don't belong to a gym but I know that if I did, its "public" nature would make me want to look as good as possible.

If your outfit dictates how you feel about yourself, I think it's important to wear your most flattering, confidence-inspiring clothes to the gym. Self-conscious discomfort makes for unpleasant workouts.

I totally agree with this. I'm already a tad self-conscious going to the gym as it is, not looking good would just make me feel worse, so my performance would probably suffer.
GoingGoingGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've written it here before but it was a while ago:

The gym is where my old t-shirts go to die.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 110

Height: 60

Thumbs up

Hello all friends..
rybe i am agree with you i also want a different kind of out fit for my gym,i dont want to look fat,I want to look slimmer in my out fit,So very soon am gonna buy a new and slim looking out fit...
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't say 'stylish' like lululemon athletica clothing, but yes, it has to look like the workout gear "athletes" wear. To me that means the racerback style bras or tops in the summer and kickpants or capris in black spandex like fabric. Now mind you that's not skin-tight I can read your underwear tag types, but well fitted. I am also a label wh0re when it comes to gear. I love Adidas and Nike gear. My pants/capris are always brand name. Most of my bras are Champion due to the color offerings and price (you can't beat 16.99 if the product works well.) and my shirts vary but if I could I would own every Nike and TYR and Adidas product they sell at my local Sports Authority.

ITA with Krampus, if you feel confident at the gym, your mood will translate into a better workout. If that means cute clothes, then by all means, go get 'em!

Last edited by fromthebox; 05-12-2011 at 05:43 AM.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

For me, I could care less about how I look at the gym. I don't currently go to one, but I have in the past. I'm not going to stress over going somewhere that people are supposed to be going to to work out. I've known people to stress about sweating or not looking wonderful at the gym. If it makes you work out better, then wear something cute or nice as well as comfortable. But, I don't even pay attention to what others are wearing and as far as my clothes are concerned, I only wear what I can move in and not feel bad about ruining.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm too old and plump for cute but I do try to look decent. I try to wear something that I could wear into the grocery store on the way home from the session. Of course, living in the boonies helps - not many fashonistas around here!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #10  

Height: 5'5

For me it varies day to day.
I've noticed that I can wear really dumpy stuff to the gym and not care--but I've also noticed when I run on the beach (when I used to), having an outfit helped with my morale.
I think, for me, it's a fine line between trying not to be noticed, but also trying not to look too dumpy. And yeah--I really don't like wearing exercise clothes that make me feel like I look "fat"--that totally undermines morale.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I work out at home, but still appreciate well-fitting, cute colored workout outfits. I get inexpensive stuff, but proper workout wear makes my workouts more comfortable and makes me feel good about myself, so I ended the "baggy t-shirt" type stuff a while back.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #12  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I don't go to the gym but when I exercise outside I wear some wide leg yoga type pants and baggy t-shirts.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #13  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

No and no. My gym/super-casual wardrobe consists of men's b-ball shorts, men's sweatpants, and t-shirts. Maybe when I lose more weight I'll change my mind, maybe not.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

"I have nothing to wear," used to be my excuse not to exercise if I didn't have nice workout clothes, or if said workout clothes were in the wash (or half of the set was in the wash and I had to choose less-than-matching clothes).

It was almost a superstition. Even if I was working out at home, not having "the outfit" gave me the feeling that I should wait until I did have the outfit.

I still do like to have clothes that I feel comfortable in and that look nice (or at least not ratty), but I'm trying to be less superstitious about it.

And yet I still want a new swimming suit, because my current suit is in a style (a two-piece skort and blouson tank, blegh) and color (black with white piping) that I absolutely detest. It's about as unflattering as possible (but it was a great deal and I needed a 2-pc for ease in getting dressed and undressed with my fibro and arthritis).

I've been looking for a replacement suit, but the prices are way outside my budget. Everything that's cute and somewhat flattering is either a one-piece or so darned expensive I wouldn't pay the price for clothes I wear in public.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #15  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

I do both. Some days I'm wearing baggy t-shirts and stretchy pants (pretty much whatever is on top of the pile). And other days I try to look cute, if I have time. I do notice when I feel better about the way I look, my work out is more enjoyable, especially when I'm infront of the million of mirrors in my gym. But at the end of the day comfort is key.
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote