Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/247/150

Height: 5'5

Default Hairstyles

looking for opinions...i need to get a hairstyle for my hair. It is to the middle of my back but is basically just a mess of curls (so unruly!) or if I straighten it...of course it just lays there. I am obviously an overweight woman but want something that is flattering and has style. Do any of you have a style you think works best? Im trying to decide if I should go short or medium for a style. Just thought I would get opinions on what looks best on a fuller face....thanks for any suggestions
nmycoma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

What color is your hair, and how thick is it? Has it been dyed? Why do you want to change it? What is your vision for your look and for your lifestyle?
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

Imho, short hair on bigger gals rarely looks good. I cut mine SUPER short when I was nearly at goal, but that's because I knew I could pull it off then. I have very straight hair, so I'm don't sure what style would work for you. Ask your hairstylist (or someone else's for a different perspective) what they would recommend.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #4  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

It depends on your specifics. I kept my hair very short for a long time, and it just looked really butch (which didn't bother me, but it sounds like maybe that's not what you're going for). It's grown out enough now that's got kind of a bowl-cut thing going on (I'm aiming for shoulder-length), which isn't bad, but it doesn't suit all faces. tattoodles is right, a pro could definitely help you out with this.

Last edited by theox; 07-06-2011 at 11:50 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleujean View Post
What color is your hair, and how thick is it? Has it been dyed? Why do you want to change it? What is your vision for your look and for your lifestyle?
LOL i love that! i wish i had a vision for my look...mine is basically 1) keep it out of my face and 2) the least amount of maintenance possible

i usually have them cut my hair very short, layered and textured...then i style with a bit of super-holding gel...then i let my hair grow out and usually scoop it back with a headband while my bangs grow out too

i have a REALLY round face and a short, textured look works best for me...i also color my hair a dark red/brown because it looks good with my pink undertones

once my hair grows out to unmanageable proportions (like shoulder-length) i will have them chop it off again....rinse and repeat....throughout the years...but i'm also not very attached to my hair or any given style...i will make a decent attempt with it, like a good short haircut and a good color, but beyond that, i could care less what my hair looks like or even if i have hair lol...i've always said, when my students inevitably contract lice, that if i get it, i will shave my head
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #6  

Height: 165 cm (5'5'')

I have really curly hair as well, the only advice that i would give is that make sure the hairdresser straightens the hair first and cuts the hair while it is dry. It sounds like a silly thing to say, but it wasn't until i found a fantastic Hairdresser that did this that i noticed the difference
Alwaysbeenbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoodles View Post
Imho, short hair on bigger gals rarely looks good. I cut mine SUPER short when I was nearly at goal, but that's because I knew I could pull it off then. I have very straight hair, so I'm don't sure what style would work for you. Ask your hairstylist (or someone else's for a different perspective) what they would recommend.
I think it really depends on the face because if you have a really, really round face and very straight hair it can actually look a lot better shorter (it gives more volume to sort of counteract the roundness).

When I'm overweight I've always kept my hair relatively short and when I'm skinny I normally keep my hair longer. For whatever reason those have been more flattering on me.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

You know, all the advice of "great hairstyle for a round face" and stuff is all bull. it's completely individual. Basically, you need to do what you think looks good on you. Maybe do it in stages to see what works. Like a little shorter, or with layers, And then maybe shorter, and so on.

With that said, one thing I always keep in mind is that for me, I 'need' to keep it long enough so I can pull it back. It would drive me insane if I had hair on my face while working out. Other than that, skies the limit!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Get some pretty hairsticks and learn some fun updos? They're usually graceful and elegant. I adore this one myself. I cut about half my hair off, so that it's between bra strap and waist length these days, and discovered that it's much harder to put up now, probably because the ends are much blunter. This is the hairstick I mainly rely on. Curly hair tends to hold well in updos, which gives you more options and also body.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6

I think I would cut it to my shoulders first and see how you like it. If you chop it all off, you might not be very happy with it. For myself, my hair is blonde (think like Diane Sawyer blonde, lol) and very fine and wavy. I chose to keep mine chin-length b/c it's easy to handle for me. But I have a long face so the longer hairstyles seem to pull my face down even more, lol. I would consult with your hairstylist and see what they say. Hope this helps.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #11  
wife2abadge

Curly hair can be VERY tricky. Shoulder length -- well, you can turn out looking like the girl in the Dilbert cartoon with triangular shaped hair! I'd say go to a pro, but find one who has a LOT of experience in working with curly hair. Believe me, I've had a few disastrous haircuts from inexperienced (with curly hair) stylists.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote