Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Brazilian Blow Out?

Has anyone had any experience with this hair straightening technique?

My really good hair stylist recommended it for my daughter, who decided not to do it.

But I recently got my hair blown out straight, the first time I've done it since having a thinner face and shorter hair.

I got TONS of compliments... but what really got to me was how many people said something about how terrific it was that I "lost the frizz" or that I should DEFINITELY make it permanent... several people asked if I'd had the Brazilian blow out treatment.

Truly, I don't love my curly hair-- if it's long it frizzes A LOT even if I use every pricey product known to mankind. If it's shorter, I get that rounded helmet head look that I've never liked. But I ALWAYS wear it curly because in spite of years of trying, I've never mastered the art of straightening it myself.

Just wondering if anyone had personal experience.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have heard of it- I use the matrix opti-smooth and get it done every 6 months and love it. I paid $250 but it's great- perfectly straight, non-frizzy hair. And after I went a few times I'm now going to do it myself with a friend- I bought the system for $40 on amazon. The great part about it is that as long as you have the hair it LASTS- the only reason I go back is for the new growth and the touchups cost less. I think with the blowout you have to have the whole thing redone again and I believe it only lasts 3 months.

Make sure you find someone who has the license to do it no matter what system you choose. You wouldn't want your hair to get ruined.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've had the back of my hair only straightened with the CHI Japanese straightening system. It was horrible for my hair, even though it was great for my friends. It made my thin hair (but I have lots of it) get matted and tangled every single day, making it a nightmare to comb out.

Now I have a friend who had the Brazilian blow out. There are different preparations so you might want to research that part. I think it's actually supposed to be good for your hair because it covers it with Keratin. My neighbor looks good. It doesn't necessarily straighten it, but it does take away the frizz. I'm going to have it done on the 21st of this month and hope it looks good! I also look better with my hair straight but don't have the time to devote to it on a regular basis so most of the time, I walk around with crazy hair!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

OH yes- I've never dyed my hair with any chemicals and I think the optismooth system you can't have put stuff in your hair to make it lighter.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I cannot tell you what I imagined when I read the title of this thread. I was trying to reconcile two separate images that seemed irreconciliable. (Saef wondered to herself: "What on earth? When you've had a Brazilian, there's nothing left down there to blow out or style, is there?")

All I've heard about is Japanese hair-straightening technique. And I know that if you go down to Chinatown, it costs less, as do many other spa treatments & personal care sessions. Or so say my friends, as my own hair is quite straight. (And years ago, in the awful 80s, I got it permed to remedy what I then saw as a problem.)

ETA: Poor Brazilians. It is hardly their fault that Saef's filthy mind connects them only with things below the waist.

Last edited by saef; 08-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would so love to do this. The older I get, the frizzier/curlier my hair gets. I wish it was "pretty-curly" but it is horrible frizzy curly. I either have to spend 30 minutes with a flat iron or wear it up! I would love to get out of the shower, blow dry and go!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Saef, you aren't alone. That's where my mine went too!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
I cannot tell you what I imagined when I read the title of this thread. I was trying to reconcile two separate images that seemed irreconciliable. (Saef wondered to herself: "What on earth? When you've had a Brazilian, there's nothing left down there to blow out or style, is there?")
that is exactly what i thought! toooo funnnny!
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

All I've heard about is Japanese hair-straightening technique. And I know that if you go down to Chinatown, it costs less, as do many other spa treatments & personal care sessions. Or so say my friends, as my own hair is quite straight. (And years ago, in the awful 80s, I got it permed to remedy what I then saw as a problem.)

ETA: Poor Brazilians. It is hardly their fault that Saef's filthy mind connects them only with things below the waist.

Same here
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Same here
Ditto!
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

[QUOTE=ubergirl;3430578]
Truly, I don't love my curly hair-- if it's long it frizzes A LOT even if I use every pricey product known to mankind. If it's shorter, I get that rounded helmet head look that I've never liked. But I ALWAYS wear it curly because in spite of years of trying, I've never mastered the art of straightening it myself. QUOTE]

Can I speak up for the curly-haired sisterhood?

I have very fine, thin, curly hair and for years it AGGRAVATED me. It was frizzy (I lived in Florida, land of frizz), tangled, unruly . . . you name it. And yes, I had Darth Vader triangle helmet head, too.

The people at naturallycurly.com saved my life. OK, that's an exaggeration, but the advice and recommendations there really did help. Specifically, I only shampoo once or twice a week (no, my hair is not gross or smelly), condition every day, and I don't use ANY products with silicone or anything that ends in -cone. Since these are often the expensive products, I'm set with my $1.59 shampoo and conditioner.

There are also really good reviews for stylists comfortable and knowledgeable about curly hair - which, in my experience, a lot of stylists, even good stylists, are not. A good cut can eliminate Darth Vader head, as well as cut down tremendously on frizz.

Obviously straighten your hair if that's what you want to do, and I have no idea what your hair is like. But I take about 30 seconds a day to deal with my hair, spend very little money on it, and get compliments all the time. I think more curly-heads would be happier if they started working with our hair, instead of against it.

Sorry for the mini-soapbox!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

lol yeah when I first heard BB I was like sounds dirty!

Hey Jen I know what you mean- some people with curly hair don't know how to take care of it so it gets very frizzy (I said SOME not all). My hair is pretty curly and I had to take great care to not touch it too much or it'd frizz, to not comb it when dry (or it'd frizz), to use LOTS of conditioner, etc. But I hated having to do this daily so relaxing it really helps me, specially cuz I like to get up in the morning and just get dressed and leave
Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #13  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

The last time I went in to get my hair cut I was reading a pamphlet on the BB and asked my stylist about it. She said it doesn't straighten the hair, meaning it wills till have the curls or waves, but it is more of a de-frizzing product.

I had a co-worker who swore by the chi straightening process and she always had gorgeously straight and smooth hair that I envied. I just wasn't willing to pay almost 300 to get it done and then have to get the roots done when it grew back.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: ---/---/120

Height: 5'2

It is dangerous...

The product contains formaldehyde. I was stupid and had one treatment done.
The fumes that were emitting into the air were putrid. It burned by eyes, nose, and mouth. She claimed it would go away in a minute or two, it didn't. I couldn't stand the fumes, and I couldn't breathe until she finished blow-drying my hair.

The FDA only approves of 0.02% of the formaldehyde into the formula. Yet salons often buy smuggled products from other hair dressers. Most hair dressers don't even KNOW that Keratin does NOT straighten your hair- the formaldehyde does! With some of the products up to 8.5% formaldehyde, it's extremely dangerous to breath in!

I don't recommend it at all. Plus the frizz and the curls/waves come back within a month. No matter how little you wash your hair.
JustImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #15  
HelenMay

S/C/G: 159/145/130

Height: 5'1"

I`ve been considering it too (my last hairdresser was suicidal when he had to blow me out!).

I can`t stand the ritual of sectioning my hair, blowing out that section and then sticking a large roller to hold it and then finishing off with that damn flat iron.

I had a friend that one of the processes done but her hair always looked greasy and matted around the roots.

Somebody just mentioned about "rebonding" the hair.

Is that the Brazilian thing, the Japanese thing or what??
HelenMay is offline   Reply With Quote