Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Help me look for Wedding Dresses!!!

My wedding dress budget is fairly small, but I think I'll be able to get something decent. I absolutely cannot go over $750, and I'd like to stay well under that if I can help it. I'm going to hit up a few local places and also David's Bridal and such.

It's a military wedding at noon in December, if that makes a difference. Not a black tie event, but all the Army guys will most likely wear their dress uniforms. My fiance will be in his dress blues. I want something classic and elegant, nothing too flashy but not too dull, and something I can move around in. Either no train or a train that won't get in my way too much.

I really have no idea where to start. I've been looking through magazines and online and tearing out/printing photos of dresses that appeal to me. I've been writing notes on them about what part of the dress I like (the sillohuette, the lace, the neckline, etc). But I'm finding that my likes are all over the place and random. I have no idea what will be most flattering on my body type.

So here are some photos of me, I don't even know what my body type is, really. I am not all that curvy, not an hourglass, but not really pear or apple-shapped either. No big boobies (34B) or bootay. I'm like...board-shaped, lol. 5'7 and 125-130lbs. My fiance isn't too much taller than me, so I don't need anything that will make me look taller.

Any suggestions?? Like I said, I won't be able to afford a really expensive designer dress, but feel free to post photos or links of anything. I can take it into a consultation and show them the kind of dresses I like so they have a better idea of what they have that I can try on.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You are going to look beautiful no matter what dress you pick. Look around at the bridal shops for sales. Do you know any talented seamstresses ? I have seen some really gorgeous dresses made by seamstresses, not a big name, just some talented seamstress. I think you will be able to find something in your price range, it might be challenging but will be worth it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #3  

Have you considered eBay? I got a beautiful gown for $80 that was a floor model, absolutely perfect, never been worn.
IvansMommy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #4  
Happy Member

My goodness, you are a beautiful young lady. You will look lovely in any style of dress.

I agree with Bargoo regarding finding a talented seamstress. Have fun with the looking for 'the perfect dress.'
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You really need to go try things on. Without actually seeing the dresses on you, you'll have no idea what you really like.

BTW, "Athletic" body type is a nicer word for "built like a board". With that body type, you'll likely want something more form-fitting, so you don't get buried in the dress and end up with a nice waist/bustline showing.

By the way, if you do go with David's, I'd recommend NOT getting your alterations done there. I've heard far too many horror stories. No one I know who has had a dress altered at David's Bridal has gotten out without it getting screwed up one way or another. Buy the dress and take it to a local seamstress!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Shop the sales racks! My DD's dress was less than $500 alterations included.

BTW ... you are so cute!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #7  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I agree with everyone. You'll look great no matter what dress you pick. You're gorgeous!! I've heard David's Bridal is rude, but I guess it depends on what state you live in. My best friend lives in GA, and they were so rude to her the minute she walked in with her mom. Obviously they didn't stay to shop and found a local boutique with an online gallery that was able to alter her dress beautifully. Good look dress shopping! That's the most important part of the wedding(next to you of course!).
bnorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #8  
Workin' It

I got my dress done at David's, and had it altered there successfully (the woman who did my dress quit shortly thereafter, oddly), but I am the only one I know who can say that. Both of my bridesmaids had trouble, my SIL had trouble with the alterations on hers wedding dress (they had to replace it for a totally new dress last minute they messed it up so bad), several of my friends had disasters there, and so on... So, I second the 'look for alterations elsewhere' sentiment.

You will look great. Definitely try things on.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Oh Oh Oh! I didn't get to shop for a dress - we didn't have a wedding at all. Just visited the preacher - me and him. This is fun!

David's Bridal - some I (in my lack of expertise) think might look good on you...

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...houette-A-Line

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...houette-A-Line

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...s-New-Arrivals

I could seriously do this all day...gotta stop and work!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW: 295/218/160

Height: 5'8''

If you're looking for something very simple, J. Crew actually has several lovely dresses that would fit your budget.
jennynyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #11  

And don't forget your local thrift stores.

I work in one as a volunteer, and we regularly get donations of last year's bridal dresses from the local bridal stores---some were "try-on" dresses, some were brand spanking new with the tags still on---and they sell for around a hundred bucks.....

And yeah---make sure you try on styles before you buy....
Hiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I agree that you have to go try on. But definitely pick something to show off your new figure you've been working so hard on!

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...s-Most-Popular

You look great in your halter dress to:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...s-Most-Popular

Let us know what you decide on.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #13  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Brown, I'm actually with you on the wedding thing. I'm really excited about being married, but it's KILLING me to spend so much on a dress, on flowers, on all that stuff. The only thing that I'm enthusiastic about spending money on is booze/a big party...hehe. And even that, I want to keep as minimal and *ahem* cheap as possible. But, my family and his family are really enthusiastic about wedding stuff. So, my dress budget is $750.

Also, could I ask what the difference between slim/slender body type is versus athletic. Or my board-shape description, haha. That's slightly off topic, I've just always had a hard time describing my body type and I'm curious

Aaaanyways, thanks for all the suggestions so far! I like the figure-hugging ruching/wrap around look a lot. I don't want to look skanky, by any means, but I do want to show off the bod, haha. And the big poofy dress isn't really my thing.

Last edited by mkendrick; 08-03-2010 at 02:05 PM.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Check out White House Black Market as well, they have a lot of simple dresses that would be fabulous for simple ceremonies. And a new wedding boutique, it looks like.
White House Black Market Wedding Boutique
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

One thing I can say - my sister and I look back on her wedding (from 1995) and we totally REGRET the dress that she chose.... it was "in style" at the time, it was huge and had tons of glittering things and beads and big puffy arms. I suggest choosing something ultra simple and classy, maybe look at internet photos of simple wedding dresses from the 1940's - so elegant! Instead of focussing on the perfect dress, just find a dress that is simple, classy, that lets your new, elegant body show through (forget the bells and whistles). On the day of your wedding, focus more on making your hair beautiful, natural, and practice the perfect makeup look for you. That is really the most important aspect, I feel.

Finding a dress with a simple, stunning cut - with no bells and whistles - will probably also save you some money. Also, I don't know if you will find anything relevant - but etsy.com is a cool website. Every item on the website is 'handmade' by a local, independent artist/clothing designer.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote