Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Red face Brazilian wax? *tmi alert*

Hey all you beautiful ladies! It's me again, with another crazy question.

I'm seriously considering getting a full brazilian wax. (Front to back EVERYTHING)

My husband has been begging me to get one for months because I really dislike shaving everything down there, I get squeamish around the 'innard' areas, eeek!

I've found two day spas in town that offer 'brazilian wax' and I've read on the internet that some places do everywhere and some places don't but they still call it the same thing. I'm so embarrassed to call these places and actually ask what is included in their brazilian wax! I guess I should just get over that, huh? lol

Also during my 'research' I found a product called 'no scream cream' that I want to try. It's a topical lotion that has a small numbing effect so the experience isn't as excruciating. I'm a wuss when it comes to pain so I really want to get this because I'm so nervous about the pain of those oh-so-sensitive areas!

If you don't mind sharing, have any of you ladies had a brazilian wax? What was your experience like? Do you still get them done? What tips for 'reducing the pain' work and what don't? Does the hair get thinner/softer the more you wax it?

Again, thanks for your help!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #2  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Well I had one once, and honestly I don't think I'll ever do it again. I did it on a whim just to see what all the fuss was about. Honestly, it hurt. It wasn't unbearable, but it certainly wasn't pleasant either, and to have some stranger poking around down there, well, that was just weird. The part I really didn't like was how prepubescent being hairless made me feel, and my husband said it was a bit like being with a preteen and that made him uncomfortable. But thats a highly personal opinion of course. Now I just go for the bikini wax (just the bits that might show in a bathing suit) and trim the rest.

I will say that when I used to wax my legs the hair would come back in softer and thinner over time, so I'm betting that the same thing would apply for other areas.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Here is a great discussion on the topic:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ilian-wax.html

I've never heard of the no scream cream, but I will have to look into that!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

When you call to schedule your appointment, and to verify that they wax ev-ery-thing (which I'm sure they would, or else they wouldn't advertise it as Brazilian) - just ask if they use a numbing product during the procedure. The lady I go to has a numbing spray that's quite nice. Also, the first time I went in, the lady verified again that I wanted -all- if it waxed before she got started, just to make sure we were on the same page
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I had Brazilian done several times, always with the "landing strip" at the front.
It took me a while to build up the courage (really, it just means one has to get over the meaning of one's own feeling of embarrassment) and it really is not that bad.
I am not saying you won't feel a thing. You will, but it was not unbearable. Your esthetician has likely performed hundreds of them, and it is over quite quickly. The place I went to charges an additional fee ($10 Can.) to do it clean up between the rear cheeks - I don't know if other places automatically include the entire "down under" under the term Brazilian - but they will tell you. I know it's strange to do a full monty at somebody you have never seen before but it's like going to a gynecologist (at least that's my perspective). No biggie.

I read previous discussions on this topic on 3FC (maybe my posts are included in the one referenced above - I did not follow the link) and I know that the fee seems to vary. At the salon I went to the fee was $35 plus $10 for the rear cheeks, so $45 total (taxes were included). I always left $50 there (a $5 tip).

I read here that one is really sensitive before mestruation yadi yadi yada - I cannot confirm that. It did not feel any different before or after TOM.
My esthetician needed "my help" - she would put my hand on a certain spot and asked me to hold - I suppose so the skin is somewhat taut. Only once I ended up a bit sore afterwards and I think that perhaps my skin got ripped off a bit - maybe the skin was "too taught". Apparently, it has to be "just so" for optimal results. But she orchestrated all that.

I also read that some ladies take Ibuprofen before the procedure - I never did and I never needed one afterwards either.
I am no longer doing that because it gets quite pricey. Ideally (and of course this may be a very personal thing) you should go again after 3-4 weeks and I always tried to stretch it to at least to 5 weeks.

I also read - I believe here, on 3FC about a cream called "coochy cream" - yeap, that's the actual name - but I can't remember where the thread was so you may want to run a search for that.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer though my experience is limited.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #6  
No more +sizes

I used to get them all the time. I stopped because I moved and haven't found a place I like that is reasonably priced. The one I went to would was and from the rooter to the tooter. After she finished waxing she would tweeze it clean. Loved it and it would last 4-5 weeks. The hair started growing in lighter and it is still not a thick as it used to be.

I never did it right after a cycle because you are more sensitive. The first time you go there needs to be at least two weeks of growth so that there is something for the wax to stick and hold on to. It wasn't a big deal and my hubby loved it. I shave now and I hate it. One thing I loved about the waxing is when the hair grew back it wouldn't itch.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Rooter to the tooter... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I get them done monthly. It is so much better than shaving. The first time you go it can be uncomfortable but now it's as easy as ordering a sandwich at Subway. I take a couple Advil an hour before my appointment to lessen the pain (I'm a bit of a wuss) but it's just like getting your eyebrows waxed.

Ohhhh and another thing. When you decide which place to go, ask if they do waxing or sugaring. I've had both done. I found that waxing hurt a little more and the hair grew back a little quicker. I would definitely try sugaring the first time around, if available. And also find out if they trim or if you should trim before your appt., your hair should be at least half an inch.

And don't be nervous, they get all different requests and they've seen everything!
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #9  
almost halfway to goal!

S/C/G: 150/139/120

I used to get mine done all the time in the city I lived in. I havent gone back since I moved simply because money has been a bit tighter. But I loved it!

Most experiences I've had it's not like they're in there between your legs with them spread like crazy. My experiences have been that they get you to cover most of yourself with a cloth between the legs, you'll kindof spread one open sideways like you're lifting it on a bench, then go over the other side, and if requested do the back as well.

I think my only problem was that I got impatient with letting the hair grow instead of shaving the minute I had stubble. But overall really great!
vesperpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella4 View Post

And also find out if they trim or if you should trim before your appt., your hair should be at least half an inch.
See, this part makes it all seem pointless to me. Half an inch!? Even a quarter of an inch makes it seem pointless.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-19-2010 at 12:40 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Quote:
See, this part makes it all seem pointless to me. Half an inch!? Even a quarter of an inch makes it seem pointless.
I meant this as if someone was going for their first time. If the hair was too long, it would hurt much more because the hair would pull more with the wax or the sugar. (owww.)

If you keep up with it, you hair will grow back thinner and more sparse. It really does stay smooth for a good 3+ weeks, the downside is letting it grow a bit before your next appointment, but you have to wait before you shave too, right? Plus there aren't any in-grown hairs or razor burn!

I guess it's up to the individual, but if I were you, I'd give it a whirl.
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella4 View Post

If you keep up with it, you hair will grow back thinner and more sparse. It really does stay smooth for a good 3+ weeks, the downside is letting it grow a bit before your next appointment, but you have to wait before you shave too, right? Plus there aren't any in-grown hairs or razor burn!
I'm not sure I get what you're saying. It's widely written that you need 1/4 hair length to be able to wax. I sure don't need that length before shaving again. Any stubble length at all can be shaved.

I do get that the hair becomes thinner and sparser, which I think would make it fine in the bikini area for me, maybe even under my arms. But I can't see that being enough to make 1/4 hair on my legs endurable.

Anyway, you're right, you just have to try it and see.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #13  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I did end up getting the brazilian wax done and I LOVE IT! I'll admit, I did have two shots of vodka before I went (i had someone drive me there, lol) but it certainly wasn't nearly as painful or bad as I thought it would be. The lady was quick and helped keep my mind off of it by just chatting. DH loves it, I love it and I'm definitely going to get it done regularly.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #14  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Yay for being bold and trying something new!!! Glad you liked it!!

I was also surprised at how much it didn't hurt when I went the first time. It was nothing like I was bracing for. Sure, it's no walk in the park, but half the battle is getting your head around the jitters

Last edited by GradPhase; 06-21-2010 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: ---/---/120

Height: 5'2

I actually prefer waxing to shaving, as shaving hurts when its in the process of growing back.

Honestly the vodka shots are unnecessary.

I am such a pain freak, I can't handle anything, even getting my eyebrows done.

For some odd reason though, my Brazilian wax was close to painless.
I think it's because they do it so quickly.
JustImagine is offline   Reply With Quote