Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

Default Stop the long top trend!

It's so annoying to shop for a tank top, blouse, shirt, and it is super long-long enough to cover your entire butt and hips. It makes anyone but tiny pre-teens with no butt or hips look so bottom heavy. Then if you wear it scrunched around your waist or a little lower, it looks like a ruched, bunched up mess. I refuse to wear it over my butt and hips and put a belt over it. It just doesn't look right. Then wear leggings and flats with that?

I am so sick of the super-long top trend! So many tops ruined because they are too long.

Do you guys like the long tops? How do you wear them? I'm thin, but they make my butt and hips look huge.

Last edited by LabMonkeyGirl; 04-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

Now I think I like the long tops for the same reason you hate them. I'm built like a straight line, so I feel like they give me a butt and hips. I'll wear them with skinny jeans and whatever shoes. But I'm so happy the super short tops are done with.
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't particularly like shirts that are too long but I LOVE tunics! I love wearing them with leggings and boots or cute ballet flats. This trend will not go away for a long time with good reason... because so many people look good.

You just have to buy the right top. I prefer a little definition in the waist so the tops end up looking more like mini dresses that I would never ever wear without leggings.

I know what you mean about those long tops though. They are not meant for leggings. Just get them shortened to where you need them to be. Remember that a super short top isn't very flattering on anyone either.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I rather have long. I like the coverage, and if I don't then I can just break out the sewing machine.

If I buy it short, there's less/no option for sewing tweaks because there's less fabric to work with.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #5  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

AGREED. I like tops that aren't so short that I have to worry about them like accidentally exposing above my pants, but lately I've been going to stores and looking around and having to ask, "...is this a dress or a shirt?!"
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I like the longer tops because most of my jeans are low cut and without a longish shirt........the belly will peep out and scare the children
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I wish all the trends from my teenagehood would stop coming back!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've never thought of long tops as making anyone look bigger. I've always thought of them as slimming (unless they're worn with a belt - that depends on whether or not the person has a waist). On me, anyway they're slimming.

I look absolutely horrible in short tops. They usually end at the widest part of me, and they show off my abdomen - making me look like Humpty Dumpty or the Tweedle brothers from Alice in Wonderland.

At least with long tops you can have them altered, when short tops are "in" those of us who need longer tops are SOL. If you don't sew, go to your local sewing shop (even JoAnn fabrics) and you probably can get the names and numbers of someone who does alterations, and usually shortening/hemming is very cheap. Or you could advertise on Craigs list.

I like to sew, but I don't like hemming and am always looking for shortcuts. I often buy fusible hemming tape so I don't have to sew the hem. You just need an iron. You cut away the part of the top you don't want (leaving an extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch for the hem). Follow the directions on the packet, to hem the top without sewing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 294/282/onederland

Height: 5'6''

i have a long torso (and a large chest) and i NEED long tops...so this trend is working for me lol. maybe by the time its over i will be thin and shorter tops will look "okay" on me..or "normal", atleast haha
Cinderella5596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

I need the longer tops to cover the bits that need to be kept covered!! Most tops I find are too short and hit in the worst possible place, so I'm always thrilled when I find one that is that inch or two longer.

Now one trend I could totally get behind eliminating are empire waist/loose bottom shirts that make everyone, even the very slimmest women, look pregnant!!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I love the long tops too... for the same reasons that were already mentioned! Don't want my tummy/sides/back showing!

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 04-27-2010 at 11:54 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #12  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

I'm for the long tops as well. I wear the low rise jeans and have a long torso, regular shirts are just too short.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

I love long tops. I've got a fairly long body and with a lot of shops I find I end up tugging my tops down regularly to avoid having a gap, especially with the tendency for jeans to be a bit lower-rise than they used to be. Often I end up getting tops at Long Tall Sally but then they are way too long in the arm for me. So long tops in mainstream shops are perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
Now one trend I could totally get behind eliminating are empire waist/loose bottom shirts that make everyone, even the very slimmest women, look pregnant!!
Oh yes, they don't work for me at all. I'm a curvy hourglass shape and so they eliminate my waistline and make me look much bigger as a result.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I like long tops just so long as they have a normal hem at the bottom. I don't like the ones in fashion now that have a band at the bottom with a bit of a gather. Like the baby dolls which are thankfully passing from fad, I think they make most folks look heavier than they are.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

LabMonkeyGirl - I totally agree with you. I am short waisted - my hip bones and my rib bones are only a finger's width apart. And more of an apple shape. The long shirts are impossible!

The tight ones highlight love handles and the babydoll make me look pregnant.

Here is a trick I just recently discovered. Even though I am not petite (I actually have super long arms and legs) I can find shirts in the petite section. This only works with short sleeves because then it doesn't matter that I have long arms. But the shirts are much shorter and work much better.

And I don't think you are saying you want a short shirt, you just want a shirt that isn't long. Like mid-length. I totally feel where you are coming from!
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote