Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Going natural!

So I decided the other day I wanted to grow my hair out to it's natural color and also grow my eyebrows out. I've been over tweezing my brows thin since I was 13! Also I've gotten high lights since I was 12. So now I am 24 and I want to know what I'd look like if I was stuck on a deserted Island for a year!

This is going to be scary and my eyebrows already look disastrous but it'll be nice to see if I look any better.. added weightloss should help LOL

Just thought I'd post this new journey I am taking. I'll see how long it lasts..
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #2  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I support you in your decision. I colored my hair (and eyebrows to match) every shade of red from burgundy to strawberry blonde for years. But I didn't want to wait to *grow* it back out to my natural color, so I found the shade that matched and *colored* it. Then people didn't believe it was my natural color! They thought the auburn I was wearing at the time was the real deal, and I had chosen to dye it black! I guess it took the roots not being visible, to show them otherwise.

I haven't touched my hair with dye since the beginning of the 21st century. I can't; after coloring it so much, I've become allergic to dye. So now I've got no choice but to go gray. Right now, age 45, I only have about 3 or 4 gray strands, but later I'll be grayer, and there won't be anything I can do about it.

As for your eyebrows, you don't have to choose between "over-tweeze" or "don't tweeze at all. There's no reason you can't keep wild strays under control, or maybe just remove the ones that grow on the bridge of your nose. I'd have a unibrow like Bert from Sesame Street if I didn't. Also, it might help to use a clean, dry mascara brush to comb the brows in place. Brooke Shields looks good in thick eyebrows. I'm sure you can too.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I can appreciate where you're coming from! We're "early gray-ers" in my family - I've been totally gray since about 28, and I'm considering letting it go now (I'm 42). In every other way, I'm pretty much a "wysiwyg" type, and I'm getting a little fed up with feeling compelled to hide it.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I like natural-ness. I let my waves free, I would straighten my hair everyday (poor hair). I wish you good luck as natural is pretty, for sure.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I havent dyed my hair in years. I've enjoyed the low maintance if being natural. Unfortunately, I'm going grey at a vary rapid rate. I'm 26 so I'm not quite ready for that. I'll likely start dying my hair agin this summer. However, there absolutely no way I'd even let my eyebrows be natural. As someone said I'd have Burt's unibrow!!!! I have found a very natural shape and after years of waxing they're pretty tame.

I like naturalness to a point. I often fake the natural look, LOL!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/301/125

Height: 5'3''

Oh my gosh, funsize! I've wondered that, too! There was dating show on a long time ago where these girls were stuck in the outback or something and didn't have electricity (no blow drying, diffusing, straightening or curling) and I think they weren't allowed their makeup or beauty tools because he wanted them natural? Since I saw that I've always wondered how screwed I'd be on that show or stuck on an island. I have naturally very curly hair and straighten it or if I let it go curly, I diffuse it so it will dry quicker and not look like a reverse mushroom cloud.. I'm all for the natural look when it comes to hair color and eyebrow shape, but I'm like shantroy in the sense that I like to fake the natural look!

Last edited by ttmarie23; 04-09-2010 at 06:45 PM.
ttmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #7  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

What scares me about being without access to any beauty tools at all--that unibrow I mentioned is bad enough, but unless I keep it removed, I also have a mustache some men would envy. I find it highly embarrassing, and to me it is NOT natural, since a mustache is not something women usually have!

I tried bleaching it once to make it less visible, thinking maybe I wouldn't have to tweeze, wax, or shave it if I did that. What happened is that the hairs continued to grow and started curling down over my lip, and it was just as visible, and just as masculine-looking... Sigh.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #8  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I can appreciate where you're coming from! We're "early gray-ers" in my family - I've been totally gray since about 28, and I'm considering letting it go now (I'm 42). In every other way, I'm pretty much a "wysiwyg" type, and I'm getting a little fed up with feeling compelled to hide it.
I found my first gray hairs when I was sixteen, and was completely gray by eighteen . My mother also went gray very young and my maternal grandfather was white-haired by his mid-twenties.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I used to dye my hair every possible shade of red back in the day. When dh and I started dating I was in love with Jet Black. When he and I got married he said he preferred that I stop dying it and go back to my natural hair color. I did and I'm enjoying it...don't have to fuss over it. I'm 35 and I've gotten a couple grays but nothing to freak about. I did tell dh that I would start dying my hair when it got too crazy, he's fine with that.
I leave the natural wave alone but there are many days that I do straighten it with a brush.
As for the eyebrows, LOL I have to tweeze them or else they will become one.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's a good thing to do once in a while to try to figure out what you real hair color is. I did it a couple of years ago and found out that my hair is a mousy light brown - blah. Needless to say I'll stick with my blond high lights.

Once your eyebrows grow back in go to a real pro to get them shaped for you. It makes a world of difference. Remeber, the thinner the brow the older you look.

I will never in a million years understand gray hair. Why would anybody want gray hair? Only men can get away with this. I have a friend who's 40 who's got loads of gray hair and doesn't ever wear make up. Her Mother is 70 and colors her hair and wears a little bit of make up and she looks so much better than her daughter. It's a shame.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #11  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I'm 40 and holding out as long as I can until I start dyeing my hair. I have a lot of gray, but from afar it still looks dark brown. I love that I have been able to be natural all this time. I say, go for it and enjoy your hair and eyebrows. I think you will be amazed by the beautiful subtlety of the natural highlights in your hair.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 248/220/150

Height: 5'5

Great, I've gone natural in December.

I stopped getting hair relaxers which a lot of black people see as taboo in the black community (especially in the south)

But yeah, relaxers suck, which is why a lot of people think black hair doesn't grow. It does, the chemicals just break our hair off.

But I'm on a journey to longggg beautiful curly/kinky hair.

Good luck on your journey!
MelloFatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5'2

I just grew out my hair to my natural colour (kind of a dark blonde) after about 10 years of highlights- i am really liking it now that it has all grown out. So convenient and you don't waste all your money at the salon and worry about your roots looking ugly! I say go for it. ALso, once it's all grown out you can see the natural highlights so it looks better than it does while you're growing it out.

I kind of dyed mine to match what i thought was my natural colour and grew it out that way. It is hard to resist the temptation to dye it again but worth it in the end!
rosiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiem View Post
I just grew out my hair to my natural colour (kind of a dark blonde) after about 10 years of highlights- i am really liking it now that it has all grown out. So convenient and you don't waste all your money at the salon and worry about your roots looking ugly! I say go for it. ALso, once it's all grown out you can see the natural highlights so it looks better than it does while you're growing it out.

I kind of dyed mine to match what i thought was my natural colour and grew it out that way. It is hard to resist the temptation to dye it again but worth it in the end!
See this is a huge part of why I am doing this! I spend like $100 every six weeks on all over highlights/low lights and my hair eventually feels like crap. I can't believe I am paying to damage my hair!
My natural hair color according to my hair dresser is a level 7 blonde.. so I am excited to see what that looks like all grown out! Yay for no more roots!

However, once I go gray, I will be dying it! But hopefully that won't been for another few decades if I am lucky!
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

I've been a highlighted blond for years. I'm 57 & am going to try & grow my hair out.
I've always looked great as a blond but frankly can't afford to keep it up any more.
To make matters worse I've got color resistant grey hair - so do it yourself color is out of the question. Color just sits on my hair and won't bond

I'm thinking of going for the Helena Rubenstein look as I grow older

Last edited by susiemartin; 04-18-2010 at 12:02 PM.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote