Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #16  

I think sizing varies by brand at Torrid. Some brands (like Dickies, for example) go by standard sizes, but others go by the store's zero, one, two, three sizes.
FiatLux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

There are two separate sizing standards - one for "Misses" or for lack of a better term "regular" sizes and then one for "Womens" or plus sizes.

Depending on the company, plus sizes start at 12 and can go into the 30s, although I think they stop at 32 maybe? Most manufacturers designate these sizes with a W (so 12W, 18W, etc) but not all of them.

Regular sizes also depend on the manufacturers, and can go from 0 up to 20, although the more expensive/designer clothing generally stops at 14, sometimes even below that. More moderate lines often go up to 18 or even 20. Although the sizes seem to overlap, a 16 Misses and a 16W are not the same size. A 16W is roughly equivalent to an 18 Misses, but they tend to be cut a little bit different with misses sizes cut a bit more narrowly.

Personally, when I can wear 16 Misses clothing comfortably, I will consider that the point when I am no longer plus sized! I did just buy one pair of jeans that size but I know they run very large, so I'm not counting that yet, but it still feels good.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I work in a department store, and I think the clothing is separated not to attach a stigma to the women's sizes, but to keep things from getting mixed up (believe me, it happens all the time with petites AND womens and is frustrating for the associates as well as employees). I remember year before last they had junior, missy, and womens swim all together, which seemed like a bad idea to me.

Sizing is definitely not standard--some manufacturers actually cut their sizes a little larger so customers can wear the smaller size and be more likely to buy the clothing (it's called "vanity sizing"). I know at my heaviest I was probably a 14, but by carefully picking brands I stayed in a "size 12" by the label. It helps to check sizing charts (most are available online so you can look before you go into a store) and to ask the sales associates who are (hopefully) familiar with their products.

Anyway, judging from my experience working in clothing, I'd say if you are a 16/14W, you can shop in either missy or womens. Larger than that, plus sizes. Of course, there are exceptions with some brands--a girl I work with can wear XL tops in one of our store brands but she wears a size 20 jeans.

Last edited by stella1609; 03-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #19  
Lone Locust of Apocalypse

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'6"

I think its usually 16-24. Some stores start at 14 and some go to 26. After that, they usually start extended sizes. From what I've seen, Misses (some people call it Missies, which always sounded childish to me, so I mixed it up with Juniors) usually go from 0 to 14. I work at a department store, which usually has 6-18 in the Misses, 4-16 Petite, and 16-26 Womens. Even though the numbers overlap, they aren't the same sizes. The Women's 16 is larger than the Misses 16, and the ratio of bust/waist/hip is different (larger waist, mostly). The Petites and Misses are close, but the Petites are half an inch smaller, sometimes more.

Argh. Everything over a 0 should be a plus size so you only have to worry about how "plus" you are.
Regera Dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Oh, and don't forget those elusive Women's Petites sizes!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote