Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

I think that people should have their hair any way they want to. That said, I'm not usually a fan of long hair (below shoulder blades) that just hangs there for any age. Hair is usually more flattering when it relates to the facial features and just a long blanket of hair rarely does that. I'm 45, and have longish hair a few inches below my shoulders and I think it works great for me because I have bangs and it's layered, texturized and has an actual style.

Do what makes you happy!~
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

I'd shop carefully for the extensions. They can look brittle, stringy and fake if done poorly.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Makes me think of a woman that I used to see around town a lot who's passed on since, but she was in her 80s or 90s and had the most beautiful long, grey, braided ponytail which looked very nice on her.

My own hair is somewhat greying, and past my shoulders, and I can't imagine ever cutting it. My mom and her mother both cut theirs short when they were thirtyish and never grew it long again, which is fine, but I just can't imagine my hair length being determined by my age.

I had shorter hair a few years back, and I was about ~80 pounds lighter, so my features stood out a bit more and it looked nicer. Shorter hair on me, with being heavier, I think it makes my head look like a pumpkin. Round and snowman-like, with the roundness of me underneath my head as well...

I think it just depends on the person, not their age.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #94  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I've had shorter hair and hated how I look in it. I look prettier with long hair. No matter my age. I'm 40 and my hair is longer than it's ever been. Now the question I face is if/when I should dye it. I love the natural color of my hair and want to keep it natural as long as possible.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #95  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

You are never too old for long hair. I live in Hawaii and I see many 'older' women with hair down to the small of their backs. It may be a culture thing. But I think as long as the hair is taken care of long hair is beautiful, no matter what age. Post pics if you go for it!
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #96  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovebirdsFlying View Post

I think your hair looks great! I tend to dislike hair past the bottom of the shoulder blade area on anyone in general (age completely aside), but I think it can work if it's not stringy or frizzy, and yours is neither!
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #97  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyks View Post
You are never too old for long hair. I live in Hawaii and I see many 'older' women with hair down to the small of their backs. It may be a culture thing. But I think as long as the hair is taken care of long hair is beautiful, no matter what age. Post pics if you go for it!
I think so too. I notice a lot of Hispanic and Indian (from India) ladies around here, of all ages from children to their grandmothers, with long hair. Many Hispanics are Catholic, and there is a basis for it in Scripture, particularly First Corinthians 11. I don't know about Hindu teaching.

I apply First Corinthians 11 to myself, although I'm not going to say that other ladies with short hair aren't as Christian as I am, or whatever. People interpret the passage in different ways. I have a Pentecostal background, although I don't fully adhere to that way of thinking now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseFalls View Post
I think your hair looks great! I tend to dislike hair past the bottom of the shoulder blade area on anyone in general (age completely aside), but I think it can work if it's not stringy or frizzy, and yours is neither!
Thank you.

I apologize again for getting overly emotional about it. When people generalize, it tends to hit a nerve with me.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 238/215/160

Height: 5'7"

As you can see from the attached photo, my hair was quite long. It was/is very thick, naturally highlighted, naturally wavy, and honestly, quite beautiful...FROM THE BACK. Well, ok, my hair was beautiful from the front, also, however, there was no way that hair was not weighing down my face. I was 40yo when the picture was taken. Over the years I have bounced between all lengths, and this was kind of a how long can it grow thing. But it wasn't becoming on me, and I find this the case often, when I see "older" women with very long hair. Just because the hair is beautiful doesn't mean it makes you look beautiful (yes, I know; everyone is beautiful...)

Oh, yes, I got compliments. But again, it was on the hair itself, not the style, because it was very hard to have a style other than "long hair". Not to mention drying and styling time! UGH!

I have since gone to a real 'style', wth my hair justs past my shoulders. I *felt* younger the minute I had all that extra weight cut off (anything for weigh-loss,LOL!), and no doubt I looked younger, also...and, I was more than happy to donate it to Locks of Love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair.jpg (92.0 KB, 35 views)
Twiddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddlebug View Post
...Just because the hair is beautiful doesn't mean it makes you look beautiful ...Oh, yes, I got compliments. But again, it was on the hair itself, not the style, because it was very hard to have a style other than "long hair". Not to mention drying and styling time! UGH!
This is exactly how I view it too! I don't think of hair as an entity of its own (sometimes with its own zipcode lol). There really is a difference in having pretty hair and having a style of hair that brings out the features of your face the best. There's a difference in getting a compliment about hair or how you look.

Don't get me wrong, I love long hair and it is quite beautiful when styled correctly. But the women on tv and in magazines are surrounded by stylists that are there to put every strand of hair in its place. I have no doubt that once filming is done the hair just floops down like it does for the rest of us. It's just not possible for an everyday woman to have that kind of continual body and upkeep on long hair. We are not Giselle.

Did anybody see Julia Roberts on Oprah yesterday? She had gorgeous hair on the show, I couldn't get over it oh how I wish I could get those perfect waves. But if you see Julia in everyday life of which I have seen plenty of pictures you'll see that her hair is not so great, it's usually in a bun or stringy.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I find that long hair is MUCH easier to maintain that short hair. Maybe it's because I'm black and as such have a much different type of hair but if mine was short, I'd have to use some kind of heat on it daily whereas with it long, I can wrap it, roll it, braid it or put it in a bun. Short hair just wouldn't give me all those options. Someone once told me also that I was too old for long hair and also red lipstick. Nertz to that. I rock them both WELL!!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #101  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I also find my hair easier to maintain when it's long. (I'm not black.) My hair grows fast, and if for example I had bangs, I'd have to trim them every time I turn around, to keep them from falling into my eyes. And pre-cut "styles" have to be maintained. I *never* go to the beauty salon any more. My hair is at its terminal length, which I'm glad to say is about where I wanted it. Tailbone-length was my goal, and it grew to that point and no farther. Just perfect (for me). If the ends start frizzing, I can self-trim. I save a lot of time and money not needing to go to a salon.

Contrary to popular belief, long hair really isn't all that much of a struggle. As long as I brush it every day, I'm fine. I don't use any more shampoo than my husband does, since I shampoo primarily the scalp, and use very little if any on the ends. I do admit to going through quite a lot of conditioner, though. And long hair is actually easier to pull out of the way than medium-length hair would be. It will stay in a bun without falling out. One of my favorite, fastest updo's in to gather my hair into a low pony tail (without the elastic), then twist the pony tail, turn it upwards, double my hair over itself, and then wrap the ends around toward the scalp. (Hard to envision that--I'd probably have to make a video, but believe me, it's very quick and easy.) Then I spread the loop apart, with the ends on the inside, and use a barrette to fasten the ends. It looks like an elaborate French roll but took only about a minute.

And today I've got the Pocahontas braids going on. I'm scheduled for a cardiac stress test, and need a simple like-I'm-going-to-the-gym hairstyle.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 06-01-2010 at 02:55 PM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #102  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Ditto on long hair being easy to maintain. Much easier.

I dont look that good in short hair and dh doesnt like it. Now that I have found my hair color I am back to long.

Last edited by ennay; 06-01-2010 at 05:54 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

I think long hair is great (i have long hair.. its just sitting at the bottom of my shoulder blades) but i agree with others on here..
Quote:
Just because the hair is beautiful doesn't mean it makes you look beautiful ...Oh, yes, I got compliments. But again, it was on the hair itself, not the style, because it was very hard to have a style other than "long hair". Not to mention drying and styling time! UGH!
There is alot of people that have long hair and YES its BEAUTIFUL but doesnt mean it looks nice on the person. If its got shape and does something for your features great, but if it doesnt and it just "hangs" there... get it cut shorter! Not only that when a person that has long hair that just "hangs" and they get it cut, it takes YEARS and looks like pounds off of them!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 278/257/165

Height: 5' 8"

I think a lot of women have 'selective blindness' when it comes to their hair, just like a lot of overweight women do about their overall appearance. For example, many fat women (this includes me) will do their hair and face, thinking that it will detract from their obese bodies. It might make them look groomed and clean, but it will not make them look slimmer.

In the same vein, what looked nice on you when you were 15 or 16 may not look the same when you're in your 40's and older.

As we age our hair loses its luster, our faces change, often sagging with lines. Escpecially our jaw line loses its firmness and we get double chins or wattles. A girlish hair style just doesn't look right. But we just don't 'see' ourselves the way we really look. We think people see only our hair or makeup, but they view our complete 'picture'.

I watch some of those makeover programs and 99% of the women have no idea what hairstyle or color looks right on them.
And if your color your hair, it really looks awful to let it grow out and get this half grey, half brown look.

Short hair does look nicer on older women...it visually 'lifts' the face. Just look at a picture of yourself in your teens and (if you're over thirty) a current one. Our faces change and so should our hairstyles.

okay...off soapbox now. LOL

MissNibs
MissNibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

MissNibs, i always watch those make over shows.. ok well not anymore but i used to ALL THE TIME.. and alot of the women with the LONG LONG hair.. it looks TERRIBLE, but they didnt do anything with it.. it was just was there... ... but there were some people on there that had longer hair it did look nice because their still styled it and stuff, was shaping the face.

:P no need to get off that soap box! :P
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote