Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #31  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Awww thanks J
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

You're welcome!
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #33  

Location: Sunshine State, Florida.. St. Petersburg. Where the sand is white, and the water is warm. ;]

S/C/G: 210/195/145

Height: 5'10

Alright, lol this might be a long post but hopefully it's helpful;

I've always had thin-errr hair. lol. I, too, have long, curly, frizzy hair. My soon-to-be mother-in-law has thin hair too and she told me to buy Mane & Tail shampoo & conditioner. I'm not sure if this works, I bought it but I have been really busy and haven't been paying attention to how it looks. I'm about to do a work out and then take a shower, so it doesnt look as good as it could right now, and I wanted to post this now because I'm a complete procrastinator. Explains why I'm about to do a work-out at 12:30am, haha.

However, it's like 6 bucks for the Shampoo at Wal Mart, so I will keep using it a little more and let you know the results.

Also, I've noticed over the years that condition does weigh hair down, so I put a tiny bit on my hands, rub them together so its spread out, and lightly put a little on the top of my head. Then I put more in my hand for the rest of my hair (not touching my scalp or even the bottom back of my head).

Especially that you're working out and sweating, that plus the conditioner, minus the shampoo on the every other day, just weighs it down, and probably groups hairs together, it does that on my head. So the more shampoo and less conditioner, the better.

Also, since you have curly hair, what kind of brush do you use to comb it? like a round brush, a flat brush, or a comb? and how often do you brush it? Wet or dry? And how often do you blow dry it? and flat iron it? I have found some steps that may help with thining hair, but it depends on the answers to those questions. I will try to check back on your page as soon as I can, but like I said, I'm a procrastinator lol, so drop me a comment if I don't get back to you for a few days, to remind me. :]

I've said in my other comment, you're an inspiration and I just joined 3FC and I'm loving it, I feel like I can talk about things I cant even tell my close friends. I feel like it's alright if it's embarassing because there are people going through the same trials. Thanks for everything! and I hope I can help you out too!! :]
SailorWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #34  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Well, just to clarify, my funds are very very limited so my groceries are really cheap basics that I eat every day. I do have 1-2 tbsp country crock butter every day..is that fat or no? I just ask cause honestly I haven't a clue.
Yes, it is fat. I'm assuming that other things you are eating will have it as well (meats, cheese, eggs, milk, yogurt, etc.). It's very easy when dieting to cut calories by eating lean meat, low-fat yogurt/milk/cheese, etc. It sometimes does affect our bodies. I might do what the Ringmaster suggested, look for sales on fish oil and add capsules to your diet. They might be more expensive though than you can afford (hope not). The other option would be to avoid the low fat yogurt/milk/cheese - which are often more expensive than the full fat versions.

Last edited by RealCdn; 08-21-2009 at 08:18 AM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #35  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Onederchic, I feel your pain. Something to try while you wait for results from diet/supplements - Toppik or Boom Boom Hair. These are tiny microfibers you sprinkle on your scalp, it takes the shine away and makes any thin areas less noticeable. I'm in Canada, but I'm sure if you Google those names you'll come up with local suppliers. They come in a variety of colours; a container costs about $30 but lasts for a long time. Good luck, and more .

Last edited by Fressca; 08-21-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #36  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know other people mentioned it but have you seen a doctor/had blood tests done?

I know fats/diet have been mentioned but for me personally, I eat a low fat vegan diet, no fish supplements and I haven't had an issue with dry skin/thin hair. I know a lot of people in the 80s had issue because they were eating a lot of nonfat processed foods and indicators were dry skin/losing hair.

Is your skin dry as well?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #37  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorWife View Post
Alright, lol this might be a long post but hopefully it's helpful;

I've always had thin-errr hair. lol. I, too, have long, curly, frizzy hair. My soon-to-be mother-in-law has thin hair too and she told me to buy Mane & Tail shampoo & conditioner. I'm not sure if this works, I bought it but I have been really busy and haven't been paying attention to how it looks. I'm about to do a work out and then take a shower, so it doesnt look as good as it could right now, and I wanted to post this now because I'm a complete procrastinator. Explains why I'm about to do a work-out at 12:30am, haha.

However, it's like 6 bucks for the Shampoo at Wal Mart, so I will keep using it a little more and let you know the results.

Also, I've noticed over the years that condition does weigh hair down, so I put a tiny bit on my hands, rub them together so its spread out, and lightly put a little on the top of my head. Then I put more in my hand for the rest of my hair (not touching my scalp or even the bottom back of my head).

Especially that you're working out and sweating, that plus the conditioner, minus the shampoo on the every other day, just weighs it down, and probably groups hairs together, it does that on my head. So the more shampoo and less conditioner, the better.

Also, since you have curly hair, what kind of brush do you use to comb it? like a round brush, a flat brush, or a comb? and how often do you brush it? Wet or dry? And how often do you blow dry it? and flat iron it? I have found some steps that may help with thining hair, but it depends on the answers to those questions. I will try to check back on your page as soon as I can, but like I said, I'm a procrastinator lol, so drop me a comment if I don't get back to you for a few days, to remind me. :]

I've said in my other comment, you're an inspiration and I just joined 3FC and I'm loving it, I feel like I can talk about things I cant even tell my close friends. I feel like it's alright if it's embarassing because there are people going through the same trials. Thanks for everything! and I hope I can help you out too!! :]

Thanks so much! I would love to be kept updated on your experience with the shampoo.

I use a vented flat brush. I normally brush it while I am blow drying and I do blow dry and flat iron everyday

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated
Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #38  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
Yes, it is fat. I'm assuming that other things you are eating will have it as well (meats, cheese, eggs, milk, yogurt, etc.). It's very easy when dieting to cut calories by eating lean meat, low-fat yogurt/milk/cheese, etc. It sometimes does affect our bodies. I might do what the Ringmaster suggested, look for sales on fish oil and add capsules to your diet. They might be more expensive though than you can afford (hope not). The other option would be to avoid the low fat yogurt/milk/cheese - which are often more expensive than the full fat versions.

Thank you very much! I will definitely look into the oil/capsules. I have already decided I am getting biotin as well so wish me luck
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #39  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressca View Post
Onederchic, I feel your pain. Something to try while you wait for results from diet/supplements - Toppik or Boom Boom Hair. These are tiny microfibers you sprinkle on your scalp, it takes the shine away and makes any thin areas less noticeable. I'm in Canada, but I'm sure if you Google those names you'll come up with local suppliers. They come in a variety of colours; a container costs about $30 but lasts for a long time. Good luck, and more .

Awww thank you so much! I will definitely check em out
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #40  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I know other people mentioned it but have you seen a doctor/had blood tests done?

I know fats/diet have been mentioned but for me personally, I eat a low fat vegan diet, no fish supplements and I haven't had an issue with dry skin/thin hair. I know a lot of people in the 80s had issue because they were eating a lot of nonfat processed foods and indicators were dry skin/losing hair.

Is your skin dry as well?

No, my skin was very dry before I changed my eating and switched to drinking water but now it is pretty soft and nice

As for the doctor, I have not been to one in about 1.5 years. I do not have any money or health insurance but the last time I did go, I was just told I was morbidly obese with high blood pressure and elevated sugar levels which I have managed to knock all 3 of those out

Last edited by Onederchic; 08-21-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #41  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Good for you!

I'm sorry to hear about lack of insurance I try to get a checkup every year to make sure my blood work is on track.

I am wondering if you could try going without blow drying/flat ironing for a short period of time? I know it would be tough.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #42  
Resident Pixie

I can try it. I just hate my curly/frizzy locks so badly, lol
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #43  

Height: 5' 8"

I'm having the same problem. Although I can't see my scalp yet I fear it may lead to that soon. I've always had very fine/thin hair and have always bee insecure about it because everyone else in my entire family has very thick hair except for my grandma on my dad's side. I must have gotten the thin/fine hair gene from her.

Anyway, I've noticed that while I shower gobs of it seems to be falling out and more comes out when I brush my hair and stuff. I started taking a multivitiman, so hopefully that will help but I'm realy worried. I can feel the difference when I put my hair up....it's much thinner and the usual chips I use aren't holding the hair as secure has they used to (I use large hair clips to put my hair up because they don't pull my scalp and hair as much as rubber bands).

I've seen in this post a few people mention suppliments the took to help with regrowth. Were can I find them????

Onederchick...I really hope you find a solution as well. I know how embarrassing/depressing it can be.
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #44  
Resident Pixie

Thank you, MLM.

I think my plan of action for now is getting biotin and trying out the Mane and Tail shampoo/conditioner.

I'll keep everyone posted once I get the products and start using them.

Wish me luck!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I commend you for your bravery at seeking help for this, my cousin has thinning hair and it is devastating for her. These are some tips she's clued me into.

-Go to your local hardware store, they sell these little filters that filter out the chlorine from your showerhead. Chlorine is the worst thing for hair loss. A cheap little filter will help a great deal.

- Eat plenty of nuts, legumes, salmon, and use olive oil. That margarine stuff you're eating is not real food, better to eat real butter than what you're eating. Don't believe me? Leave an open tub of it sitting outside over night, you'll see that even bugs won't touch it my friend. Don't let bugs be smarter than you. Switch to pure green olive oil (not refined which is sometimes labeled "light"). Lentils, yankee beans, garbanzos, hummus, yellow split peas, they're all great. I have some super simple and cheap recipes if you're interested.

- Fish oil supplements. It's not terribly expensive but well worth every penny.

- Avoid fried foods

- Give your hair a rest - no styling products, hair dryers, and especially flat irons for at least a month, preferrably longer.

- shampoo every few days. Do this gradually and your hair will adapt to this schedule. Wash every other day for now, then wash every 3 days for a couple of weeks and gradually put more days between each washing until you're only doing it once a week. Condition only after shampooing, and never on the scalp.

I hope these help, let me know if you need recipes for those legumes. They're very inexpensive but carry a wealth of nutrition.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote