3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   Facial cleaners? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/174692-facial-cleaners.html)

rachiebach 06-19-2009 04:18 PM

Facial cleaners?

Hey ladies, I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good facial mask or something? I currenlty use two different products in combination that WERE working and have suddenly decided to stop working. Now my forehead is breaking out like crazy...as is the rest of my face and I'm starting to get worried about it. I've never had this problem before. I think it might be because I'm working out and sweating a lot (especially bc it's been so humid out). Any tips or products that are cheap and work well?

Currenlty using Noxzema and AcneFree...

bacilli 06-19-2009 05:46 PM

I use Basis. It's ~$5, and keeps me from breaking out like nothing else ever has. It dries my face a bit, but since I use moisturizer with SPF it's not noticeable unless I skip the moisturizer. It also smells fabulous.

greengrass 06-19-2009 07:36 PM

I just started using the acne free sensitive skin. I think it might be helping. My skin is very oily and ever since I started losing weight my face has stayed broken out! The heat and humidity are not helping!

rachiebach 06-19-2009 10:46 PM

I know! I've NEVER broken out like this and the combo of the Acne Free and Noxema usually works really well for me...I don't get it!

bacilli: where do you get Basis? I've never heard of it but am totally willing to try anything right now!

melwolfe 06-19-2009 11:28 PM

My daughter just started selling and using Mary Kay. She turns 20 in November and all through school until the last couple months of high school had PERFECT skin, then all of a sudden the last couple years horrible acne, the Mary Kay has made a huge difference in just 2 weeks. You can check your area for a rep and have a party to earn the stuff for free.

Lissus 06-20-2009 12:16 AM

in the past month since I've changed my eating habits and started working out I've had continous cystic acne breaking out on my chin (SOOO embarrassing, ugly and painful). I've been all over acne.org trying to find a solution, and washing my face and going without makeup as much as possible. I've tried a few different products but they didn't seem to be helping.

I finally got fed up a few days ago and decided to retry my old high school fix after reading a bunch of threads about it.... toothpaste. It immediately started taking the swelling down from the most painful ones, and in about 3 days my face is almost back to normal, and this was a pretty severe breakout, with 8 large cysts right after one another with a few scattered pimples in between.

I've been using it as a spot treatment nightly after a freshly washed, toned, and moisturized face. (do NOT use as a mask) If you want to give it a shot just know that it should be a paste toothpaste and not a gel. And it might sting for a few seconds if the zits are deep. If it does sting longer than a minute or so, I'd wash it off, because your skin probably cant handle it. Most people on the forums experienced amazing results, but some with sensitive skin had issues. Some people found that fourty minutes or so to keep it on was plenty. Others like myself just fell asleep with it overnight. The majority concensus was that just plain Crest or Colgate got the best results. I just happened to have a tube of Crest Herbal onhand, it does have some gel in it but it's a pretty basic recipe with sage, eucalyptus, chamomile and myrhh as the only additives.

If this doesn't sound like something you want to try, acne.org has been a great resource for me while I'm dealing with this breakout, and the reviews might help you pick a product that will help.

BTW.. I was also using a combination of Acne Free and Noxema products, and they didn't do a thing for this breakout, but the toothpaste is blowing my mind how fast it's fixing the problem. I'd say that was $2 VERY well spent. :D

bacilli 06-20-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachiebach (Post 2793238)
bacilli: where do you get Basis? I've never heard of it but am totally willing to try anything right now!

At the drugstore, or Meijer/Target/Wal-Mart. It's usually on the very bottom shelf, since it's cheaper than everything else. It's a light bluish-green bottle, very plain looking. When DH started using it, for the first week or two he broke out like he never had before because it pulled all the gunk out of his face, once that was over it was fine. I've never had real acne issues, but I use it because it makes my face really soft and feels really clean without too much drying.

Here's what the bottle looks like.

Blackie 06-20-2009 10:48 AM

I know this is contrary to all of the advice, but I clean my face twice a day with Isopropyl alcohol. You would not believe how much dirt and makeup that the alcohol pulls off, even after showering and cleaning with soap or face cleansers. I have always had oily skin and had pretty serious break outs when I was younger. Since I have been cleaning with alcohol, my skin is nearly perfect. I use Lancome moisturizers, for daytime I am currently using Bienfait Multi-Vital SPF 30. I have also used Aqua Fusion Cream for daytime. At night, when I remember and/or notice dryness I use Primordiale Optimum Night. It has been discontinued and replaced with Primordiale Night Skin Recharge, which I have not tried yet. I do a mask once in a while and use the Clinique Turn Around mask.

So in summary… basic and very cheap cleaning solution, expensive, luxurious moisturizing solution. Works for me.

rachiebach 06-20-2009 11:41 AM

Thank you so much ladies! I currently have gel toothpaste but will be running out to Walmart tonight to grab some crest and Basis! Hopefully it works bc this is just embarrassing! I mean I'm 24 years old and I'm breaking out like I NEVER did during puberty! Agh! I really appreciate all the advice/tips!

blackbeltchica19 06-22-2009 05:26 PM

rachiebach, use something that has 5% benzoyl dioxide. I get mine from my doctors office (Kaiser). But make sure you use an oil free moisturizer as well because it really dries you out.

I had the worst acne and going on birth control made it worse. They were going to put me on accutane but this was the last thing to try before such a drastic measure and I saw improvement with in 4 days. Its amazing and I rarely breakout now!!!

Lissus 06-24-2009 02:19 PM

so rachiebach? any luck?

MaNdA22 07-22-2009 08:45 AM

I use Ponds Cold cream. The one with the green lid. I put it on my face without wetting it first. Let it sit for like a minute or two then take a warm washcloth/or tissue and just wipe off. It takes off makeup like nobodys business. I love the smell of this stuff and I haven't broken out in the 6 months I've been using it.

misspiggy408 07-22-2009 01:40 PM

I like Aveeno ... it's a cream scrub with little microbeads. I use it and barely ever break out.

pisces33 08-17-2009 07:00 AM

I use purity by philosophy. It doesn't dry your skin out & it cleanses better than anything I've ever tried... and I've tried a lot of stuff!

blueberry3 08-20-2009 09:59 AM

I use something from Neutrogena. I'm pretty brand-loyal to them...their products always seem to work well. I like Clean & Clear too.