Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #1  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Default Vanity Sizing Is Insane (Or Maybe I'm Just Really Old)

OK, so my jeans were getting pretty baggy, and today I decided to treat myself to a new pair. This is literally the first pair of jeans I've bought since 2003 ~ that last pair were Tommy Hilfiger size 16. Then I gained 150+ lbs, now I've lost 100, have gotten too small for all the clothes my sister gave me when I gained all this weight, but still far too large for all my old size 16s.

I went to Catherine's first, because I had a coupon . . . I also needed a light jacket since Spring is coming. I am 5'8" and as of this morning I weigh 266 lbs. I tried on a Liz Claiborne 22/24 jacket. It was falling off! Weird. So I tried on the 18/20. It fit! It zipped up! In fact it fit great. Still really weird!! So I tried on a couple more things, all Liz, and only the 18/20s fit. But I was thinking, well, Claiborne always runs large, no big deal.

Then I asked the lady behind the counter, hey, the Liz Claiborne runs large, right? And she said no, it runs true to size. Then I told her I was kind of freaking out, because here I am wearing a pair of size 24 jeans, albeit baggy and probably bought in 1995, and the 18/20s are fitting me. Then I explained I was a size 32 6 months ago, and the light went on in her head. She remembered me, but hadn't recognized me because of the weight loss. Then she wanted to know all about Atkins after I explained it.

But then, she said, girl, we got to get you another pair of jeans, those are ridiculous. Apparently Catherine's and Lane Bryant have developed some sort of jeans sizing system where you have to be measured because the sizes are a secret code or whatever. So she measured me, and told me I was a 4 Red. So I tried a pair on, they fit great, and I bought them and a couple other things.

While I was checking out, I asked: hey just out of curiosity, what is a 4 Red, like a 20 or 22? She said it's a 16! What the???? This is insane. I cannot possibly be a size 16. My Hilfiger 16s downstairs are so small I literally cannot get them much up past my knees. I knew sizes had shifted a bit, but really, this is insane? Then I went over to Lane Bryant to pick up a couple more things and same deal ~ 18/20s fit over there, the 14/16s were snug but didn't look half bad . . . this is extremely weird.

So am I just too old and still living in the 90s or what? Trust me I'm not complaining . . . but . . . this is so weird!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

First of all congrats on your amazing loss!

I am familliar with that layne bryant sizing, and wore it until december, and I'm sure the lady is mistaken, because the smallest size they make is a 14 (and that is a plus size 14). When I stoped being able to shop their I was wearing a blue size 1 (plus size 14). I'm guessing a 4 is a 20. enjoy it while you can, I never liked other jeans as much as I like theirs!
~sara
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

maybe sizes have gotten larger since then? People surely have gotten larger.
I've also noticed that normal and junior sizes are way different. I fit into a 16 in womens, but a 19 in juniors. You think they'd make it a continuum, but no.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

This is why my tape measure has become so handy. I use it to measure myself and compare the size info available online before I shop. I find that the higher end the stores: Neiman Marcus, club monaco etc. the bigger my size, at regular chain stores Banana, Gap etc.. my size goes down.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Sizes are confusing in general. I can wear my size 16's, 14's and 10's. They even came from the same (JCPenny). It's silly.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I wear a size 4 red in Lane Bryant and they fit exactly the same as the old size 22 regular. Exactly the same.

On a side note, I should be wearing the Blue because of my hip to waist ratio, but they look horrible on me.
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Sunrose, thank you! Now that makes sense. Yes I think I am a "normal" (old skool) 22. That totally makes sense.

mescelestus, thank you too. I was wondering how "4" translated into a 14/16 even under weird sizing, when they only go down to a 14. I figured a 14 had to be a 0 or a 1 or something...it just wasn't making a lot of sense to me. I do have to say though the lady who measured and helped me was wonderful and kept telling me what a small waist I have ~ now THAT is something I have NEVER heard before in my life! It was really nice to hear.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #8  
Better,Faster,Stronger

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Sizing in general is crazy,I have to try on everything in the store.A friend I work with is about the weight I want to be and she wears everything from a 6 to a 10 and S thru XL....why cant there be universal measurements unless ity is cut for your shape? GEEZ!
Keldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

OH Liz Claiborne...LOL My mother's favorite designer! Always a size or 2 off! I have 3 pair of size 16 505 Levi's I bought back in 2000. When I first started this journey my main goal was just to get back into those jeans. Well, I have finally made it and they fit perfectly. They are out of style, but great for hanging around the house and farm so I wear them with pride! Soooo I'm at the mall on Friday in Lincoln and think I should buy some new jeans for going out. There were some awesome sales going on in all the department stores. I tried on several pair and all the 16s were too big. WAY too big. The 14s fit pretty well in most brands. In Liz, a size 12 fit perfectly. Guess what pair I got?? HAHA But hey they were marked down to $14.00 originally $50...I would have bought any jeans for that deal, even if the tag said my old size 30.

Last week I bought several pair of Capri pants for $3 each, (last summer stock) in a size 12 also, but they are a little snug. Hoping to have them fit perfect by April/May when the weather here allows.

I have a pair of size 16 couderay Calvin Klein Jeans from high school, (25 years old...lol) It's going to take a good 25 pounds to get those baby's on. They are tiny. (I thought I was so fat in HS!)

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-23-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 254/see tracker/154

There is at least a size difference change in just the last 7 years. Sadly that was the last time I was in a 16. Those 16s are still too snug for me and yet I can fit into todays size 14.
koolkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Sizing is totally crazy, I can't believe the range, but I have found the more higher end you go, the smaller the sizes are. And can I add a little rant here? The jeans "Seven for all Mankind which I've been coveting for ages, don't go past a size 32 for women, "all mankind?" I think NOT!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #12  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
So am I just too old and still living in the 90s or what? Trust me I'm not complaining . . . but . . . this is so weird!
No you're not old and living in the 90s LOL

I'm shocked by it too since I've had to shop at Lane Bryant for the past 6 years. I think it's nuts that I fit into a size 12 jeans from the GAP! I saved one pair of jeans from when I was smaller. They are from American Eagle, size 14 and I must have bought them in 98. You guessed it they are smaller then the 12's I just bought?!?!? I can fit into them but I've got some major muffin top action in them

Same as you DC I'm not complaining but I think its weird too!
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

They don't pull this k-rap on men you know...
Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Ladies, it gets no better once you are into the smaller sizes either. I can fit into a range of sizes from 4 to 10. And then there is the weird sizing system at Chico's, where I wear their size "zero." Makes me wonder what the really skinny women wear, because I am far from skinny.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

It's all like a big, hard math equation. I went shopping for Jeans at JC Penney this weekend...SO frustrating. I left with nothing. Again.

I tried on Levi's in a size 4. Fit fine in the waist, but were too short at the longest length (medium) and baggy in the butt. Got Levi's in another style...size 6 fit fine, but again, butt bagginess. The length was OK. Another pair of size 6 Levi's in another style was too small.

Gonna have to change brands...just ran out of time to mess with it.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote