Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Spanx? I keep hearing about this. Should I try it?

Okay, I'm 188lbs, I desperately want to wear this very cute juniors dress I got at a consignment shop with the tags still on it by Christmas. It's a juniors size 9/10, and I'm not sure if that's a medium or large.

I'm not a junior, I'm 22, but that dress appears as though it will fit WHEN I slim down.

I want to have lost 25 lbs by Christmas so I can wear that dress with a pair of heels.

Should I get the spanx to help? I know it won't slim you down a size but it makes you look nice under a dress, from what I was just reading in one of the other threads. What about cheaper versions?
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/149/135

Height: 5'5

I love spanx!!!! I wear them all the time. I carry alot of my weight on my tummy. It helps smooth all the lumps and bumps. Spank doesn't take me down a size but it does tighten everything up. I heard that Beyonce wears two pairs on the red carpet. Good luck. You can do it!
irishluck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/193/140

Height: 5'4"

I love love love Spanx. They smooth you out, and are comfortable at the same time. I've tried other brands, and they're nowhere near as comfy as Spanx.
girl anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Love spanx. Lots of the stars wear then. Oprah talks about them all the time, says she wears them all the time. They aren't going to make you go down a size, but they make everything look better on you. Takes away all the lumps and bumps
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #5  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Im another lover of spanx. Especially if i am wearing a dress. It smooths and makes everything less jiggly. Ive tried one other brand but it wasnt as comfortable. But i have heard that jcpennys has a good brand there. Maybe try looking around and thr them on?
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #6  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Like other posters on here I use spanx for "ironing" out those lumps and bumps. It makes clothes look much nicer on it does not work miracles and change the dress size you are but it certainly makes me feel more confident when I have it on when I am "dressed" up. My tummy area is my problematic area and where I am carrying the last of my weight and it helps me wearing the spanx no end.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I love my spanx...but, like everyone else said...they aren't going to put you in that 9/10, Mel

You've done wonderfully, keep up the good work. You're going to rock that dress at x-mas.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #8  
Healthy mommy

Thanks guys. I figure if I've got some lumps and bumps as you guys call it, it'll make things appear more smoothly bwhahaha. A false illusion. That is, if I have lost enough weight by then to fit into it.

Does anyone recommend any cheaper versions?

I figure if I've lost around 25lbs, manage to make myself fit into the dress, and have the Spanx or something similar, it'll look that much nicer (especially if I've got a loose tummy from giving birth in January, and then the weight loss.)
Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I love Spanx too, haven't tried any other brands. They work great for smoothing as others have said. You just have to lay on your bed and flop around like a fish to get them on. Once on, they are very comfortable and don't give you any of those elastic lines, like regular girdles, but make sure you pee first because getting them on and off in a public rest room is... problematic.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #10  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
You just have to lay on your bed and flop around like a fish to get them on.
Sounds like the way I have to struggle to get too-small jeans zipped up. And I'll definitely remember to pee ahead of time.

Well you guys have given Spanx some rave reviews so I'm going to just 'accidentally' leave a little birthday wishlist around for my boyfriend to see. Complete with the brandname of Spanx and website address and a list of stores to get it at once I google all of this.

I can't wait to try it. Very excited.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 09-29-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I've tried a few other versions of Spanx....none of them work as well.

Also, spanx are crotchless for the same reason that Schmoo suggested to pee first. Just slide your panties to one side and let it go. MUCH easier than taking them off in a public restroom.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

What size are you now?

You have to keep in mind that "junior" isn't about age, it's about SHAPE.

"Junior" cut clothes are cut for ... well juniors. Girls who haven't developed a shape or curves yet. Some women who are very athletic can wear junior sizes quite easily. I personally cannot wear junior sizes even in the larger range, because I have boobs and hips.

It's the same reason you can have a "plus petite" - because petite isn't about being teeny-tiny skinny, it's about height and ratio from knee-to-hip, hip-to-waist, waist-to-shoulder, etc. You can be petite and still be a size 24.

So it's hard to say if the dress will fit you in 3 months or not because it's hard to know what your body will look like, not just weight-wise, but shape-wise.

Spanx will definitely help you if the dress is a little tight - but they won't help you reshape yourself or lose a size.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218.8/165/165

Height: 5'7"

Spanx makes a version for target -- called Assets.

You can find them in the hosiery section -- just as good as spanx (they're made exactly the same, by the same people, afterall) and range from about $12-$20 depending on the style. I would not go out wearing a clingy dress without them... love love love!
kukristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Yes Target carries a cheaper version, Assets. And as Kukristen said they are made by the same woman who invented Spanx. But again, as everyone mentioned, they will not take you down a size, just make you look fantastic in the outfit you are wearing, no lumps or bumps !!!
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

WAIT WAIT WAIT

They make crotchless spanx now???? That's my ONLY problem with them is that it's so hard to go pee!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote