Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Wink So tell me.... am I crazy?

My friend thinks I'm crazy and have OCD because I exfoliate my entire body daily, and lotion daily.? What the heck? I exfoliate every morning, from my face to my feet, just with a loofa scrub and dove body wash. I find ever since I start exfoliating my face my pimples went away and I haven't had one since (I started getting pimples REALLY bad as soon as I started losing weight and eating healthy, WEIRD eh) Plus I use a epilator so if I don't exfoliate I get ingrown hairs. Is it REALLY that bad to exfoliate every day? My skin is so wonderful, flawless, and incredibly soft. I take pride in my skin. I cocoa butter my entire body every day after my shower aswell (all but my face obviously).
So, is what I'm doing ok?? Or as my friend says, am I insane and obsessed?. I personally don't see a problem with my routine.

Last edited by luvja; 09-18-2008 at 10:33 AM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I don't see a problem with what you do either... You're getting clean and moisturizing. Lots of people do that. I don't think that's obsessing at all.

Maybe she feels insecure because she doesn't?

If she says you're obsessed again, just tell her you like to feel clean and smell nice. And it's not for everyone, but that it fits you just fine.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #3  

Thanks Faerie! You always have wonderful answers to everything, you know? Lol. I'm also hoping the cocoa butter eventually lightens up/hides my stretchmarks on my stomach....
Oh, she also said if I exfoliate daily my skin will get so thin and eventually rip. Lmao, I told her I'm 22 not 92. My skin is thick and tough!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #4  
Workin' It

You aren't crazy, I do the exact same thing, for the same basic reasons. I use an exfoliating loofah cloth in place of a washcloth, Dove Nutrium Soap or a Neutrogena body wash depending on how hot it is outside and if I feel like my skin is exceptionally oily. I also use an epilator, and I have to exfoliate regularly, or I get ingrown hairs too. I'm not as good about the lotion on the whole body every day, but I do at least my legs & arms with a Neutrogena lotion and face with a moisturizing lotion from Mark Kay (supposed to help with the wrinkles I see more of daily) every day.

I wasn't doing this until a few years ago, and wish I had started it in my 20's (I'm 36 now), don't let your friend talk you out if it. You will appreciate it as you get older, believe me!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #5  

Hey Shannon, Glad to see I'm not the only "crazy"!!! Ha ha ha ha.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
Oh, she also said if I exfoliate daily my skin will get so thin and eventually rip. Lmao, I told her I'm 22 not 92. My skin is thick and tough!
A loofa and Dove are not going to rip anyone's skin off.

Exfoliating is used to strip off dead skin, it's not meant to tear down all 3 layers and give us gashes. The only kind I've ever heard any sort of "caution" (and it wasn't really caution it was just "hey, you might only want to use these every other day, because you don't need to use them every day") about was exfoliators containing nut shells.

Do your thing
Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

It seems a tad excessive to me, but not crazy. I remember reading once that you shouldn't use anti-bacterial soaps too much because it will lower your immunity. I was thinking the same might be true for exfoliating your entire body daily. Lotion isn't excessive and exfoliating your face daily is normal, but I dont know about exfoliating the body daily, myabe a couple times a week would be good. Cocoa butter is a good idea. As you lose weight you might get loose skin and cocoa butter will help prevent that.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #8  

Wait... loofa and dove? Oh, I do that, too. I thought she said she used a scrub.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw23 View Post
Wait... loofa and dove? Oh, I do that, too. I thought she said she used a scrub.
Ahh, I think I was the one in the wrong. I read it as a loofa scrub. Like one object. It may have been "loofa, scrub, and dove".

Either way, my opinion remains the same.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #10  

I don't actually know what you'd call it. My Mom gave it to me, it's like a round thing you slip on your hand. It's a tad bit rough but not too rough. I'm heading to Walmart this afternoon and I'm going to take a look at the gloves ones you put on.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Good grief. If she thinks you're OCD, I wonder what she'd think of my routine.

Here's my shower routine in the morning:
Wash hair and slather on conditioner (I color my hair, so I condition it every day).
While conditioner is working:
use scrubby pouf thing and body wash to wash my whole body
use scrubby glove and exfoliant on my bikini area (advice of my waxer to prevent ingrowns)
shave pits / touch up legs
use pumice stone on heels
rinse well
rinse conditioner out of hair

Get out of shower and apply lotion/oil to entire body.
Apply vitamin e oil to stretchmarks and scar from surgery
Apply shea butter to feet and elbows
Moisturize face and eyes

Add leave in conditioner/styler to hair before blow drying.

Seriously. As long as you're not exfoliating to the point that your skin is red and tender, there is nothing wrong with what you're doing. And you're certainly not going to "thin" your skin by exfoliating.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #12  

Oh I know what your talking about. Those things, loofahs, and wash cloths... aren't they all pretty much the same?
Either way, your fine. I thought you were using like a face scrub
Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Wow. I have GOT to start taking better care of myself. I have most of those things, but don't use them all the time. You know what? I deserve to use them all the time.

Thank you for being a good influence on me, ladies!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You might let your friend know not to use the OCD term so lightly, just because you like to pamper your skin. I actually have OCD, and I hate it when the term is used in such a flippant way.

Dove body wash and a cleansing mitt are not going to hurt your skin with daily use. Now, if you were using something stronger-such as an exfoliating SCRUB (not body wash) that had shells, grains, or sugar/salt granules, or alpha hydroxy...anything stronger, then I WOULD limit that to once per week.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Aphil, the term OCD is used excessively and incorrectly. Not really something to joke about.

As long as your skin feels and looks healthy, then your routine is fine. From what I understand it's the exfoliators with retinol and hydroxy acids that will thin your skin with too much use.

It's interesting that someone would view taking care of your skin as excessive. Would your friend think I'm weird for putting sunscreen on several times a day?
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote