Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default The "style"

Ok, for a long time clothes that fit close to the body were "in," and I wouldn't wear them because I didn't like to show off my body.

Now that I'm WANTING to show off my new body, the "style" is big, billowy tops that make even the skinny people look like they're wearing maternity shirts. And stuff like that is literally ALL I can find, unless I'm wanting to wear t-shirts all the time.

Is this a regional thing, or is the "style" like this everywhere?

Last edited by MindiV; 04-02-2008 at 11:35 AM.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I think it's all over. I have noticed this trend and I think it looks silly. The worst ones are the dresses that are really short, billowy around the waist and fitted at the thighs. I see so many college girls with amazing bodies wearing those dresses and I think to myself, "what a waste." They have beautiful figures and they are hiding them in dresses that look like billowy potato sacks!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #3  

I totally agree...it's just goofy looking (in my opinion). Back when the big trend was showing off your body I always said I would've given anything to have the body to wear stuff like that, but the sense to NOT wear it.

I don't want to be too revealing...just something that lets me look like I've lost weight would be wonderful!!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #4  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/130ish

Height: 4'11"

They have the stupidest styles right now going on in Phoenix.. I tell ya! I'm sure it's just a phase though, and it will pass over time. I think you should just find something that looks good on you...and who cares what the "style" is... As long as it looks good
Shorty1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #5  

I've been looking HARD, Shorty. My only options, however, are big department stores like Sears and JC Penney, that cater to the current style (at least where I live). I haven't tried in a couple of weeks...maybe I need to go back and check out their spring and summer stuff...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm old enough to say that these styles were popular back in the 70's. What goes around, comes around. There is no such thing as a new fashion. I'm sure it's just a phase that will not last. I do agree that they look silly on a lot of people.
Another thing I hate is when you see a top you like on a store mannequin that looks cute and fitted and then you realize it's pinned tightly in the back to make it look that way. When you put it on, it just hangs. I also do not like the new longer tops. I'm 5' 3'' and they hang ridiculously long on me. On the other hand, my daughter, who is taller, likes the extra length so her tummy isn't exposed.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #7  

What always bothers me is when I see something on a mannequin that I love, but can't find anywhere. Maybe that just happens around here, though...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
What always bothers me is when I see something on a mannequin that I love, but can't find anywhere. Maybe that just happens around here, though...
I think that happens everywhere. Or else it's not available in your size.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I absolutely love the new clothes! But then I always have loved the 70's clothes, well, except for bell bottoms...will never catch me in those. I see and hear from others people absolutely hate it. I don't think it makes one look pregnant...just cute. I don't like form fitting clothes and for years have worn bigger, baggy clothes and these tops are kind of in between for me. Not baggy because they fit around the top and are just a little baggy around the middle. But not so much that they make me look fatter.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I also like the style, but in some of them I KNOW people are wondering if it's a maternity top. (Not that that would mean the end of the world!) They are very relaxing to wear - standing up or sitting down they are perfect! No worry about bumps and bulges here and there as I do in a tailored shirt or even a tee shirt! Recently I've found tops at JCPenney and JJill that I LOVE!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #11  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty1985 View Post
They have the stupidest styles right now going on in Phoenix.. I tell ya! I'm sure it's just a phase though, and it will pass over time. I think you should just find something that looks good on you...and who cares what the "style" is... As long as it looks good
I AGREE, for the most part I dont follow "styles" because I need to have clothes that I am comfortable in and that flatter whatever figure I have at the time. So I say find things YOU like and make them STYLISH!!!!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'5

I'm not really a fan of the current style either.
Check out the Jones New York section of the department store. They use great fabrics (alot of my problems with the current thing is the fabric is always so flimsy!), really simple lines and classic styles.
Around here I've seen their sizes go up to 18 in tops? I've never gone there looking for dresses/skirts.
molly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I really like the current styles...but it seems to me that now that I"m not plus-sized, some of the plus-sized stuff is getting cuter/looking more like the misses sized items.

I like the billowy top trend because I can hide my little bit of a tummy roll. I notice, too, that these shirts are cut pretty generously in the necklines, so I can buy a smaller size and get a less-billowey look...something to consider!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #14  

Never considered trying a smaller size. I'm just SO used to going straight to plus sizes that going shopping at all is a scary thought. I don't even know WHERE to go when I get into the store!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Try on a smaller size! It makes the billowiness less extreme, PLUS you get to have that smaller tag (and some mornings, that makes all the difference).

Depending how billowy the shirt is cut, I have some that are JUNIORS SMALL...now I know I'm at goal, but I am NOT a juniors small. Still, they work well for this style.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote