Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Kim ... I'm not too shocked by the prices. Decent lines are expensive. Do you have a favourite Ebay store? I struggle with the cost of shipping. You could pm me if you think that's more appropriate.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #17  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

Haha I must be in the minority, because Bare Minerals just didn't work for me. I was really disappointed...it looks like it works well for others!

I am a big MAC proponent. I had a MAC artist do my makeup for my wedding, and after having their products, I never use anything else. I use smaller than a dime-sized drop of their foundation every morning because it covers so well. I don't even have to use a powder to set it. As for their eyeshadow and lipstick, it will last for years because it is highly pigmented. Don't get me wrong - I don't use the makeup like the girls on their website. But I love love LOVE their stuff. It seems expensive (about $14 for eyeshadow, $25 for foundation), but when you see how long it lasts you, it pays for itself. I used to use CoverGirl foundation but I would have gone through at least 3-4 bottles (which is about $20) in the one year that I have had my MAC foundation... and I've only used about half of the bottle.

If you do buy MAC, I really recommend splurging and buying their small contour brush. It says it's used for powder and blush, but the MAC artist I worked with taught me to use it as a buffer for foundation. I apply the foundation to the brush and buff it onto my skin. No lines, perfect blending every time!

some of my favorite products...

Studio Fix Foundation

Swish eye shadow

Hue lipstick
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #18  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Thanks Kim ... I'm not too shocked by the prices. Decent lines are expensive. Do you have a favourite Ebay store? I struggle with the cost of shipping. You could pm me if you think that's more appropriate.

Hi Susan....this is the one I deal with and I've never had any complaints:

http://stores.ebay.com/Your-Makeup-Store
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #19  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiminky View Post
For my eyes, I hardly wear eyeshadow since it all melts off my eyes. when I do, I usually use a baby pink or gold. Both make me look awake and fresh, but not obviously made up.

Swiminky.. you HAVE to try Urban Decay Potion Primer. It's an amazing eyeshadow base... the shadow wont budge as long as you put UDPP on first! I have oily skin and I swear by it. I just ordered another bottle from Sephora.

(that said.. I'm addicted to MAC eyeshadow.. so when you're paying that much and putting that many colours on ya gotta make it last as long as possible)

Has anybody else gone to everydayminerals.com and ordered the free starter kit? All you have to do is pay shipping.. it's mineral makeup.. and it's affordable I use it.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #20  
M.S. + living balance

Quote:
I used to wear full face! The whole she-bang! Three colours of concealer ... you name it. Um ... I don't any more. In fact, when we moved last September, I pitched everything old.
But now I have a hankerin' for new.
I think I'm good with the CoverGirl foundation, loose powder and concealer ... but then I'm struggling.

Want to talk about it? Colours, new colours, brands, products ... I could even use a nice set of brushes. Anybody?
seriously I could talk about makeup forever. MAC has been my guilty pleasure for a couple years now... once I moved away and realized the only reason I couldnt stop rubbing my eyes was allergies. (I couldnt wear makeup.. I'd just scratch/rub it off!)

I hear good things about shoppers drug mart brushes honestly. But I still have quite a bit of MAC brushes. Have you tried Benefit for some simple quick fixes? I bought one of their highlighters.. but it didnt really work for me.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #21  

Oooo I can find a Shoppers DrugMart! For today I'm just looking around on the internet. I'm working evenings so the mornings go so fast. But one day this week I could make a quick trip to Shoppers.
There's a Sephora about 2 hours from here. That would take a bit of planning
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

MAC has the best eyeshadows!!! I basically wear the whole she-bang everyday, just on weekends its more BANG!!! On regular days I also use Prescriptives "false eyelashes." Great stuff!!! On weekends I have fake ones on, and WILL not leave the house without bronzer and blush. I think bronzer is the best invention ever.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #23  
Restart Date 1.02.08

S/C/G: 225.8/213.8/145

Height: 5'4"

I too love Bare Minerals. I have worn this for years and would never go back to liquid foundation. I like the foundations, mineral veil and blush. I don't care to much for their eyeshadow. I will have to give MAC eyeshadow a try though.
Dale Junior Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

This is what I'm currently in love with. I'm amazed how many people love BE like I do! I know lots of brands like Almay and L'Oreal are coming out with copies.

Foundation: Bare Escentuals mineral foundation
Foundation Primer: Smashbox Photo Finish
Finishing Powder: Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil
Eyeshadow: Physician's Formula or MAC
Eyeliner: Avon Glazewear
Mascara: Maybelline Lash Exact
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I like Everyday Minerals. They have a great website and also offer a Free Sample Kit. You only pay 3.97 for shipping and comes w/a concealer, 3 foundations, and blush. I'm also on a budget and the prices are very reasonable.

Oh for anyone who's never tried a mineral type makeup. I've suffered from acne my entire life and once I switched to Everyday Minerals my pimples were gone in about 2-3 weeks here I think my years of using heavy regular foundations had been clogging my pores and causing my outbreaks. What a relief to finally hit my 30's and get rid of the zits!!!!

Last edited by vealcalf2000; 08-27-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added more info
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 203/183/121?

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks, Valpal. I have it saved to my drugstore.com list. Out goes my Benefit
f.y...eye.
swiminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #27  

So Mac shadows eh? What colours are nice? I know I should wear purple (and jewel colours are in for fall) but I like brown, bronze, green ...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #28  

SusanB,
All those earthy colors look great on green eyes. You can wear your browns and bronzes as eyeshadow, and use the jewel colors as eyeliner if you want to keep up with the trends. The beauty of makeup is if it doesn't look good, you can wipe it off!

I used to do makeup at a spa I worked at, and some of these women acted as though the makeup was permanent! And they didn't want to change from what they were used to. Have you ever seen women whose makeup (and hair) are so outdated? It's as if they keep going back to the time in their lives they were happiest, and continue to work that look, no matter what.

I love makeup!!!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #29  
M.S. + living balance

Quote:
So Mac shadows eh? What colours are nice? I know I should wear purple (and jewel colours are in for fall) but I like brown, bronze, green ...
If you're looking for shadow names... I like naked lunch, swimming, tempting, shroom and gorgeous gold. My fav purples are satellite dreams and beautiful iris because they are blue based purples instead of red. I would suggest putting a naturl coloured cream eyeshadow underneath it before applying the other eyeshadows to give it some lasting power.

Honestly... makeup is kind of an addiction on my side. Makeupalley.com has a makeup forum that gets kinda crazy with the impulse buying... so after a couple years on there I had to ease off. BUT it's got thousands of great product reviews if you're looking.

Let us know how it goes! In the end its just about having fun
Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #30  

I agree, Valpal ... it is fun! And if I look like an idiot ... swoosh, it's gone.

Thanks to you too Darby1. Many years ago I was an Artistry rep. But they were heavily into choosing your season, getting the pallette and living forever in your purple for green, blue for brown and brown for blue. What fun is that?