Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #61  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I wish I had pictures from last night. My MIL was designated to bring her digital camera and the battery went dead after getting pic's of the grad. I still want to take a pic of me standing in one leg of my size 20 Old navy jeans that I used to love to wear. I'll post it when I get it.

I used to wear baggy sweats and tees all the time. I thought it hid the fat. Now, I try to wear more tailored type clothing. I love finding great bargains at consignment shops. That is where I got several nice skirts and my summer shorts. My MIL and Aunt refuse to buy new clothes while they are losing weight. I gave my Aunt a lot of my old things and she said the XL sweaters that I gave her fit perfect. I'm glad that she can use them. They are going to check out some consignment shops. My MIL has 3 large closets of clothes and over 100 pr. of shoes. She has given me shoes that don't fit her now.

As far as age-appropriate clothes. It always reminds me of the comedian that said "why do women tend to want to show their boobs 20 yrs. after anyone cares to see them". Jeff Foxworthy, I think.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #62  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
As far as age-appropriate clothes. It always reminds me of the comedian that said "why do women tend to want to show their boobs 20 yrs. after anyone cares to see them". Jeff Foxworthy, I think.
Lily! I nearly spit water all over my computer screen when I read this! Oh so true. I've said all along that you'll feel better about yourself and look better if you wear clothes that fit! No matter whether you're a size 4 or a size 22. Nothing worse than being uncomfortable in your clothing. I was reminded of this when I was in Texas last month. There was some kind of event at the hotel we were staying at, and we saw several young women (late teens, early 20's) coming in wearing evening gowns. Those who's gowns were strapless were tugging at them the whole time. Ruins the effect. I suspect they'd not worn them much beforehand. Back in the day, I practiced walking around and doing other movements in mine - as my mother was big on not tugging....

I have a lot of clothes that don't fit at the moment - some too big, others too small. I need to giving the too big ones away except for my biggest jeans which I've saved since 1999. Just kills me to do that, even though I don't/won't wear them anymore.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #63  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
I need to giving the too big ones away except for my biggest jeans which I've saved since 1999. Just kills me to do that, even though I don't/won't wear them anymore.
Keep the big pair. I find mine very helpful to see where I've been.

Anne
Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Many years ago when I took some courses in Image Consulting (stop laughing) I learned that every time you readjust your clothing, you lose 'confidence points' with whoever is watching. It's distracting to watch someone pull down at their skirt or pull their blouse onto their shoulders or smooth their dress over a nonsmooth tummy.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #65  
lilybelle

I spent my day yesterday sewing new military rank patches on my son's Army uniforms. Those are a pain in the keister. He had taken them twice to the alterations shop this past week and they were closed. So, good old mom got the job. They have to be placed and stitched just perfect. I finally got them finished. His military unit is marching in a parade today and he had to have them done. Don't you just love it when we don't get advanced notice of things like this. LOL

My eating has been on program and I feel good for that much. I've had a lot going on and exercise has fallen by the wayside. I plan to kick my booty in gear and hit the treadmill today. I want an elliiptical but not sure if I'm getting one for Christmas or not. I saw DH sneak into DD's room last night to show her what he bought for me. It was a small jewelry box. I'd rather have an elliptical, but I'll be grateful anyway. I'll get my exercise machine after Christmas if I need to.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Lily, I have an elliptical and I absolutely love it. I've owned it for over three years and I've used it almost every day, sometimes twice a day. It is in the garage and we put in a little TV facing it so I can watch something while I do my thing! I do run outside (and sometimes at the gym) but the elliptical is great no matter how I feel, no matter whether I am sore or tired or don't want to go anywhere, no matter what the weather is. Lately I love to jump on it for a little afternoon pick-me-up. I always have so much more energy after a little workout and it gets me through the late afternoon tiredness I experience! If you know you'll use it, this is a very worthwhile purchase!

Lindy

Last edited by SlimLindy; 12-09-2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #67  
lilybelle

Thanks Lindy, if I don't get one for Christmas, I'll buy myself one. After 17 months that treadmill constantly starts to get boring. I'd like to have more exercise choices. I think I'd definitely use it and get my money's worth from it.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #68  

Lindy, what kind of ellip do you have? I'm thinking about trading my treadmill in for one.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I have a Precor. They are pricey, but top of the line. I knew I would use it (had been using one at the gym for years) and I wanted one that wouldn't break down or shake or make funny noises!! However, if this is too expensive (it was a CRAZY expense for us at the time, but my DH is a real softy and knows how much I like to exercise), there are others that are great too. I just haven't researched this recently as it has been three years since I got mine.

Hope this helps!

Lindy
Old 12-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #70  

Yes, that DOES help, thanks!!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #71  
lilybelle

I have spent the day trying to help my DD with her algebra. My brain must have shrank too. It's been 25 yrs. since I had algebra and I used to think it was so easy. This stuff is hard for me now. I have my oldest step-daughter on the way over to help us now. LOL. I sure feel dumb.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #72  

Yep, algebra has given me a headache and biology hasn't been all that fun either, LOL.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #73  
lilybelle

We collectively finished the 3 algebra assignments and my DD is probably more confused than she was to start with. She had missed some school last week due to the problems that I had mentioned. She only has 4 more days of school this semester and will have an algebra tutor next semester, thank goodness.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily, thank your stars that your DD isn't in calculus like my DD!!! There is no way I can come close to helping her! Thankfully she finds it very easy. I'm thinking she ought to do a double major in school. She wants to teach music (high school band teacher) but it might be better if she teaches that AND math. They always need math teachers and every few years they do budget cuts and the arts are always the first things to be cut.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Had an interesting "maintainer's" weekend. Went to a fancy holiday party on Friday night - weighed 127.5 Friday morning. The gorgeous dress I wore for my birthday was a little loose in the chest, but I looked fabulous (fancy party hair, make up, my beautiful cashmere wrap, fancy shoes - the works!). Didn't drink any alcohol at the party, but ate way too much, including a couple of passes by the dessert section (caramel cream puffs and chocolate dipped strawberries are my weakness).

The following night, went to Benihana's - which I looove. Had a glass of red wine, ahi tuna steak, a few bites of fried rice, soup/salad (with dressing ON the salad -shocking for me!) scallop appetizer - they use sooo much butter, and half a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Either of these two incidents in isolation wouldn't bother me (I usually have a "treat night" once a week without dire results) - but the combo seemed pretty lethal! All that soy sauce, my pants are snug today!
Closed Thread