Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #1  

Default Once again, I feel off track

Please help! I feel seriously off track (in reality, I have probably regained only about 3 lbs., but pants are feeling tight).

The good news: I am exercising consistently, including intense cardio. workouts about 4 days/week and the Strive circuit 2-3 days/week.
I am making an effort to drink more water.

The bad news: this early darkness just kills me. I'm having a hard time getting up/getting started on the day and my afternoon snack choices are too high in carbs. and too low in protein.

I started using FitDay today as a new type of accountability.

Any suggestions on refocusing and getting a grip? If nothing else, I could use some snack suggestions.

All the best--
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #2  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

One of my favorite things to snack on is smoked salmon. I just eat it by itself, so that's protein and "good fat". Tuna on celery is also good. Peanut butter is high-protein and good fat as well, but it's pretty high-calorie too, so ya gotta be careful.

Good luck! And keep up the exercise. I know the winter blues make it hard to get out there and move, but it's really a good way to combat them.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #3  
Mel

My suggestion has nothing to do with food or exercise. Have you tried a SAD light? I borrowed one last year from a friend and using it for even 15 minutes in the morning while I ate my breakfast made a huge difference in my outlook.

I used the Sunbox DL. This reminds me I should buy one- I returned the one I borrowed.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #4  

Yes, I have a lightbox and it's a good friend! Ordinarily, I use it for 20-25 mins. while having my coffee and journaling. The irony is that the more I sleep in, the more AM time I lose and it cuts into lightbox time. Definitely not a good sign.

I made it to my awesome Boot Camp class tonight--55 mins. of cardio intervals plus weights plus serious ab work. I love this class and of course have much more energy since I dragged my sorry butt out of the house.

I'll keep you posted...man, do I hate the darkness! Don't even get me started about how I'll feel about shoveling out my car in 2 months or so.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Sorry, I don't really have any advice. But, I feel like I'm in the same boat. I am struggling after having a bad weekend. I'm back on my program today and have been exercising. I am up 2 lbs. this week and I deserve it. Part of my problem was skipping a few days writing my food down. I tend to cheat a lot worse if I'm not writing it down. I'm going to try hard to lose those 2 lbs. because the holidays are coming and I don't want to feel like I'm clinging to my goal by a thread. I don't know what came over me. It was my DH's birthday and I ate way more cake than anyone ever needs to have. Now I'm paying the price.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Snack ideas: cheese sticks, yogurt, fruit, small amount of nuts, turkey rolled up in a small tortilla, there are several decent energy or protein bars (read the labels for protein content and nasties like saturated fats), broth-based soups, lo-cal hot chocolate or tea, oatmeal.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #7  

Default Good snack tips

I definitely need a major trip to the store. Part of what is damaging now is that I have a lot of nuts around (hello, 3 lb. tub of cashews from Costco ), and not enough fresh veggies and other, lower fat, choices. I need to stock up on the Laughing Cow wedges, Wasa crackers, fresh produce and turkey again.

Thanks to FitDay, I also realized I'm getting too many calories from fat. It was shocking to see the pie charts. Well, at least I learned from it and know where to make the changes.

Steady rain and clouds all day but I will be at my 6 p.m. Kickboxing tonight. That should help my mood.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

I have to be really careful with nuts myself. I'm not a 'just a handful' kind of person. I keep ours in the freezer, in small quantities, and out of sight. Or I buy them in the shells, so they are hard to get at. As good as all the recent studies have been showing their use for appetite control and general good health, I just can't make the portion sizes!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #9  

Other good snack ideas ... hummus with either crackers or celery and cottage cheeze with crackers. The CC with crackers is one of my faves ... I'm partial to the Kashi crackers, seven of which comes to about 60 calories. I treat the cottage cheese as a dip. I just love it. I've wondered about roasting chickpeas. I've seen lots of recipes, just never tried it. I like chickpeas, and it sounds good.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Elana, I hear you on the darkness (we're at about 8 hours of daylight now). My DH uses a SAD light every morning, which gives me some benefit too. You can also buy a device that wakes you up by gradually adding light. I've no idea what it's called, of course, having only read about it, but it might help with the sleeping-in problem. I also find it helps to get outdoors during the hours it's most light. Even if I just get in the car and run errands at lunch, at least I'm seeing daylight.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Elana,

Hear that sound....listen...? It's me opening up my fridge and tearing off the lid off a fresh container of nonfat cottage cheese and blueberry yogurt just for you. Like blueberries, here, have a few fresh ones. I like to top mine off with some cinnamon and just a few walnut pieces or sliced almonds. This is the snack I have every afternoon around three o clock when my son comes home. He is scarffing down whatever afterschool snack I can negotiate with him while I have this with some green tea. I always feel so much better after having this snack and it can carry me through till dinner at six.

I'm finding this time of year difficult too. Time change, visiting relatives, holidays around the corner and all that blasted halloween candy in the garage. GRRRRRR. I really miss summer too.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #12  

Lydia,
You are a great descriptive writer! I could hear the sound of you opening the lid of your snack (which sounds so tasty, BTW).

You motivated me right away--tomorrow I am shopping and stocking up on my necessities. No more nuts in the house until things are back in control (and if I do reintroduce them, it will not be the Costco tub!). Also, no buying hummus, tabouli or stuffed grape leaves. Those trigger foods just will not enter my house.

How many days until Solstice? Then at least I know it will start getting light again...