Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #16  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
My gym had an interesting take on surviving the holidays. Basically, you pay them $10 at the beginning of the holiday season (in the next week or two). They do an official weigh in. At the end of the holiday season (I think it was January 2) they do another weigh in. The people who lost or maintained their weight split the money that everyone else contributed...so if you gain weight, you lose your 10 dollars, but if you lose or maintain, you're guaranteed to get at least your $10 back and probably (hate to be pessimistic, but I consider it likely) a bit more besides.

I thought it was cute and clever. They are also hosting "survive the holidays" workshops with topics like "eating at holiday parties" and "how to maximize your calorie burn at the mall".

What a CLEVER idea! Wow! I want my gym to do that!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, indeed a clever idea by the gym - maybe I should suggest it to mine! It's a family owned one rather than a chain, so they might be open to it.

This is a good thread for me since for the first time in years, we're going away for Thanksgiving. We'll be at my husband's brother's house in Maine, with nearly everyone in the family there. Ack!! I've been "assigned" to contribute two veggie dishes to dinner. I know that one will be one of my staples - a cheesy broccoli casserole - that everyone always requests. I'll make it, but I won't eat it. It has 1/2 cup of mayo, plus cheddar cheese. I don't like to think about the calories. The other I haven't decided, but it'll be a lot more friendly to my lifestyle. I have a recipe for roasted green beans with balsamic vinegar so if I can find some fresh green beans it'll likely be that. The oven will be on anyway, right? We're staying at a niece's home, and she's volunteered to shop for me so everything will be at her house.

I like all the strategies mentioned here. I've employed the one-plate rule for the last several years with great success. Plus, I'm planning to get plenty of exercise on the day itself and the other days we're there. As long as we don't get a snowstorm..... My biggest aid is to remind myself that there will be plenty of leftovers - I don't need to have all my turkey dinner experience on one day. Plus I try to keep my concern to one holiday at a time.

This year I have an added incentive of a vacation to Costa Rica in mid-January. I'd like to be down a few pounds by then, and in as good shape - both cardio and strength wise - as possible.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airegrrrl View Post
* We're talking about holi-DAYS, not holi-MONTHS. I hearby give myself permission to celebrate the DAYS with wonderful meals, not the next two months.
Robin, coming out of major lurk mode to say THANKS for this. I really love how you put it. I'm definitely guilty of looking at those two DAYS as two MONTHS. Holi-DAYS, not holi-Months - gonna get that to stick in my head.

Anne, thanks for posting the strategies from two years ago (back when I wasn't such a lurker). It was interesting to go back in time and read everyone's posts. Such great ideas.

Last edited by karynlee; 11-08-2006 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Wrong name! :(
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #19  
Meg

Hi Anne! Good to see you again.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #20  

Height: 5'7"

Karynlee!!! I always wonder what you are up to! Good to see you again.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:30 AM   #21  

Karynlee, me too! I've missed your posts ... I hope you can drop by the weekly thread now and then. Best regards.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #22  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airegrrrl View Post
We're talking about holi-DAYS, not holi-MONTHS. I hearby give myself permission to celebrate the DAYS with wonderful meals, not the next two months.
SO TRUE. Thank you so much for this. This is my basic strategy too . . . On the actual day (Thanksgiving or Christmas), I will eat whatever I please and not worry about it. The rest of the months are dedicated to making up for those two days!

Here are my strategies . . .

* Only have one drink (other than water) at parties or gatherings. Especially when the drinks are stuff like eggnog, which probably has as many calories as the rest of your dinner put together.

* Skip the munchies. There's always a table with chips or pretzels or something like that sitting out -- skip it! Why should I fill up my stomach with potato chips when there is pumpkin pie waiting for me? Instead of stuffing it all in, save the tummy space (and the calories) for the stuff you really want, not just inane munching "just because it's there".

* Modify recipes. I love banana bread, and this time of year it turns into pumpkin bread. Well, if you replace the oil (or butter) with fat free yogurt (1:1 ratio, you need a little extra baking soda though), guess what? It still tastes delicious and cuts a huge number of calories. Replace the regular flour with whole wheat pastry flour in cookies -- it tastes almost the same, looks almost the same, and fills you up faster so you don't eat as many. Add fiber to things whenever possible (usually via whole wheat flour), since eating a high-fiber cookie will fill you up more than a low-fiber cookie. Check out cookinglight.com, each issue has an article about a high-calorie or high-fat recipe a reader sent in, which they modify to be healthier without losing the taste.

* Make the most of seasonal ingredients. Squash, yams, cranberries, pumpkin -- these all have great nutritional benefits. The problem is when you turn them into candied yams with marshmallows, squash souffle, pumpkin pie, and cranberry sauce. How about whole wheat cranberry muffins? Roasted butternut squash with a drizzle of honey? Pumpkin soup (swap out the heavy cream for lf milk thickened with cornstarch)? I have a great recipe for baked yams with Mexican-style beans.

* SHARE! Don't bake a batch of holiday cookies and keep them all to yourself! Bring them as a hostess gift to a dinner party, then only eat two of them. Bring them to work! Pass some out to your neighbors and friends. If you want to make pie, invite some friends over so that you don't eat the whole pie yourself (or in my case, I eat half and my fiance eats the other half . . . oops!).

* When your holiday gathering is buffet-style, dish up the smallest portion you can think of. There are always leftovers -- if you're really hungry you can get more. But then you will avoid the problem of overeating just because you happened to put it on your plate. Or if you're hosting the party, use salad plates!!

* Craving stews and slow-cooker type meals in the cold winter months? (This applies more after the holidays, but still.) There are about fifty million delicious stews you can make that are chock-full of vegetables and other healthy items!

* Wear your "thin" clothes to parties. If you show up in a slinky red dress, it might help you avoid eating too much since you don't want that tummy peeking out! It will also remind you how far you've come.

That's all for now . . .
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #23  

Thanks, Robin and Anne! Hi Meg! Nice to see you guys, too. I will try to post more often. I struggle with that feeling of "belonging" here - dumb, I know, because weight maintenance is difficult for everyone, not just this roller-coaster-of-a-maintainer. I packed on the summer pounds like I always do, but I'm now 3 lbs from my maintenance range. Things are good, though I'm starting to worry about the holi-DAYS. :/ I plan to rely heavily on the support, suggestions and encouragement I've always found on this board.

Paperclippy, your awesome strategies inspired me to print out your post as well as many others that are SO smart. Thanks.
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #24  

Great suggestion in this thread.
I am also repeating holi-days not holi-months.Thanks Airegrrrl I just hope it sinks in.
Hi Karynlee, we all live on that roller-coaster. Nice to see you.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #25  

Default Unintentional stress from visiting the family

What I need to be especially mindful of--

We are spending Thanksgiving (Thurs. thru Saturday) with some relatives whose company I don't particularly enjoy. There are also major food issues--we are vegetarian and their kids have life-threatening soy, peanut and tree nut/seed allergies. This doesn't give too much common ground about what we can all enjoy eating together (none of the "fake" turkeys will work--they are all soy-based). We can all do whole grains, beans, eggs and vegetables--my kids are fine with whole foods but theirs eat what I would call a more "typical" American kid diet (i.e., junk).

I think my approach will me to minimize conflict, drink lots of water, eat fresh fruit, bring my resistance tube so I can workout, bring a Yoga video and maybe some kids will do it with me, and just hope for the best.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #26  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

paperclippy, I love that clothes idea. I have my outfit picked out to wear on Thanksgiving. it's the smallest thing I own. I am intent to look good in it. I won't want to overeat and show that "belly bulge".
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Great ideas!! Thanks!
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #28  

OK, since DD is napping I reviewed early and here is my plan.

1. I like the one-plate rule. I'm stealing it. After reading 'Mindless Eating' I'm also making it a small plate.
2. Start the day with a decent breakfast and some exercise (5K for me)
3. These are holi-DAYS as Robin so aptly put. And these days have meals in them. Meals have distinct beginnings and endings, and are not the same as drawn out, all day snacking.
4. Take advantage of healthy holiday foods. The veggies, turkey breast, nice salads, pumpkin pie without the crust. Avoid holiday trigger foods, for me nuts and cookies, like the plague.
5. Look out for stress and don't get over-tired.
6. No eating and watching TV. I usually don't watch enough TV for it to matter, but I have more time on my hands over the holidays, so it's bound to happen if I don't monitor it.
7. Watch out for the post-holiday aftershocks. Just when I think I've done great and 'deserve it' or the stress lifts and I quit watching out. No one deserves an extra 5 lbs brought on by an extra cake.

DD is now awake. Must go.

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 11-21-2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: small plates
Old 11-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #29  

Once again, WebMD has a nice holiday section for keeping holidays light and low stress.

http://www.webmd.com/solutions/healthy-holidays

Anne