Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/125

Height: 5'-6.5"

Default Need help in gaining 5-10 lbs

Hi, I'm a lurker but I love this site. I have recently lost about 45 lbs (didn't weigh when I started but last known weight was 170). I really only wanted to get down to 135 (which I looked good at) but have kept losing 10 more lbs despite my increased calories. Now I am a little too thin. I am eating all day long but am still avoiding most sugar, white bread and potatoes. I am considering getting some protein powder and having a shake a day and see if that helps. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
nectarpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am not trying to gain weight, but do occasionally gain and it usually is from eating increased carbs. If I had this problem (which I don't) I would rather increase the carbs a little than to increase the fats. Good luck in whatever you choose. Sorry, I know I'm not much help.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #3  
Meg

What about adding in some healthy fats like peanut butter, avocado, or nuts? They're quite calorie dense but still healthy. And I second Lily on the carbs - they'll pack on pounds much faster than protein will.

And welcome! We're glad you came out of lurkdom!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #4  

Thanks for the replies. I am eating nuts (love those almonds) everyday and peanut butter. I guess I'm just scared to eat more carbs....I know it's just a mental thing! I've always had big hips (and was always reminded of that by several family members) and remarkably I've lost them and I think I mentally attibute that to the low carbs when in reality it is the 30 minutes of walking I've done everyday since I started my diet.

Thanks for the welcome! This place is so awesome!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

What about a nice bowl of oatmeal?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

I will happily donate 10 of my pounds
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Man, if I wanted to gain weight, I'd drink peanut butter milkshakes.

Mmmmm.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

What kind of weight do you want to gain? Water will come along with stored carbs (glycogen) in the body, especially if you've been lower carb for a while, but it might not be the type of weight you want. Do you want to build up some muscle mass? That will require strength training and protein to build and then more strength training and fats or carbs to maintain (it'll need energy or else it'll starve and go away--the increase metabolism we all strive for). Or do you want to regain some body fat (not necessarily a bad thing if you are too low)? Eating healthy fats is probably the most efficient way to go about it.

You should be warned that while this is based on what I believe is sound nutritional info, I can't say I've ever had the opportunity to put this into practice. Well, at least on purpose.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5ft, 4.5in

Default First, the unhealthy way

Hmm, the only time I've been in that position is when I had a bad cold and lost 5-7 pounds in a couple weeks between the cold meds and lack of appetite. I looked sickly, and really wanted to get back up to my goal weight, so I ate pretty much anything and everything when I was home for the holidays. It took about a week

On the other hand, to gain more slowly and healthily, everyone else has given great advice. Increased calories will do it any way you slice it.

Good Luck!
-Amy
ameliaamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #10  

Wow, thanks everybody for the great advice. I think I will start adding some more carbs and peanut butter to my diet and see how that does. I have never been in this position and even though it's a good one to be in, it is a bit scary....hard to explain.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #11  
Mel

Man, I wish someone would tell me to eat more peanut butter!

Just follow me around...peanut butter and apples with some granola thrown in make for a great weight-gain formula!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote