Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #31  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Just had to share: After 2 months with virtually no exercise due to the ankle injury, I got on the treadmill tonite with my leg brace. I walked 1/2 mile slowly and it took 13 minutes. I know that isn't a lot, but after not getting exercise for a long time, I felt this was a good start. I plan to do this again tomorrow and continue at this slow pace until I get more comfortable with it.
BTW, the orthotics place was able to sand out the doggie teeth marks on my leg brace and make it usable for me again. This was good news.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:27 AM   #32  

Hi maintainers,

Lily - Good for you about the brace!

SusanB - Do you want my biills?? I am sure we can work out how to send some over! Just kidding. in fact i am sjkipping my workout at the gym to figure out my financials today & catch up with a lot of reading work.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Seek and ye shall find! I got bills in the mail yesterday. I'm kind of afraid to go get the mail today No actually ... so far so good! And today we got our new furnace! More bills I guess.
Hey rabbit ... just let me get sorted out here and we'll talk. I'll call you ... really
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #34  

Meg,

Thx for making us wake up and smell the coffee on heart health. I hope you don't mind but I forward part of your post to some of the ladies I work with who are really discovering the benefits of regular exercise and weight training to help them control their weight/size.

I spent 10 years living in Gallup, NM and know all to well about fry bread and Navajo Taco's. I don't think you could cram another calorie into those things if you tried. But if you are going to eat one you want to do it in NM, they make the best. My spouse worked at the telephone company on the Navajo reservation for about 10 years. If you ever get back in that direction in August again you might want to time it to attend the Indian Ceremonials in Gallup, people come from all over the world to see them. They are held in a natural Red Rock amphitheater and so worth experiencing.

Will the conference you’re attending in Tucson be held at one of the resorts or at the Convention Center? Have a wonderful trip; the weather this time of year is just wonderful (typically). As Anne mentioned, we had some pretty, unseasonably hot weather but it's starting to act more like fall now and really hard to stay inside.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #35  
Meg

Hi E! Of course I don't mind if you forwarded part of my post.

I didn't remember that you're in Tucson! We only got to spend four days there and were stuck at a business meeting in a resort on the outskirts of town, so didn't get to see too much of the city. Though we went on a desert jeep tour and rode the tram, we would have loved to have stayed and explored more. The weather was unusually rainy, we were told, and many of the outdoor events planned for the group had to be moved inside. But when the sun was out, it was H-O-T! I came home with some very interesting bug bites that I'm still scratching.

DH and I just love AZ and NM and hope to settle there if we ever save enough to retire on. DD is in Albuquerque, so we're familiar with it, have visited Santa Fe and Taos, and done most of northern AZ, along with Phoenix. It's hard to pick a favorite area - they're all wonderful.

Lily, congratulations on getting back on the treadmill! With your determination, nothing could hold you back for long. I had to chuckle about the dog using your brace for a chew toy, though I'm sure you didn't fine it amusing.

Rabbit, I'm so glad that things are finally working out for you. It's about time that you can put all this unhappiness in the past and move on with the rest of your life.

Anne, I can't believe it's almost time! How exciting - we'll all be Cyber Aunties!

to all ... Gina, Mel, Pat, Ilene, Megan, Susan, N2L, Allison, Lisa, Sznn, Paperclippy .. it's good to see so many posting. I promise to be a much more faithful poster now that I'm finally home for the rest of 2006 ( ) Honestly, *I* need the accountability to get back into my normal routine (which I'm having a little trouble with )

Later, gators!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #36  
lilybelle

Thanks Meg, tonite is my third night back on the treadmill. I sure can't go very fast with this leg brace, but it's better than no exercise and I'm enjoying it. I have to hold on to keep from landing on the floor on my booty. LOL.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Labs. Yup, they chew! I have a 2 year old and my kids quickly learned to shut their bedroom doors when they leave for school, otherwise he shreds whatever he finds on the floor (and you know how kids keep everything on the floor!). He ate Frankenstein last spring (the book!).

I'm formulating my exercise plan. Right now, it is simply impossible to get my needed exercise in, but in about 2 months, DD will have her driver's license and I will no longer be wasting 2 hours in the car each day driving her to and from school. I currently get up at 4:30 to get work done around the house and get the kids up and to school before heading to work. After work, fix dinner and take care of issues with my charity group and then it's off to bed. I do walk on the weekends, but that isn't enough. My plan (so far) is to continue to get up early after DD gets her license. That way, I'll have an hour to do free weights and NordicTrak every morning. I really can't wait! I hope that with doing this, I'll be able to have a day or two a month where I can have a real cheat meal! My kids complain that I'm not fixing my old "comfort food" meals anymore!

As for my weight, I'm within half a pound of my ticker (139.5) today. It's taken me 2 weeks to get back here. 4 more pounds after that and I'll really consider myself part of this group!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #38  
lilybelle

alinnel, I had a strange experience with the lab. that we borrowed to breed ours with. I have him outside in the fence. I looked out there and the large water trough that we have for him, he keeps getting in it and laying completely down. It's really cute, my female doesn't do this. She won't take a drink of water if a fly lands in it or she even gets a piece of food in it. She is very picky. So, I had to go give her a separate large bowl of water. They are happily staying in the yard together now and curling up together to sleep, so I hope they'll breed. She is going to miss him when he's gone home.

I'm still making it 1/2 mile on the treadmill. I was wishing I could do more at a time, but I can't. So, I think I'll start walking 1/2 mile of the AM and 1/2 mile of the PM and give my weak leg some rest in between. I don't want to push myself too hard and make it where I can't even do what I am doing.

My kids also complain that they aren't getting their old "comfort foods" anymore. Their favorite is chicken and dumplins and home-made brownies. I know that with winter, I'll have to fix this occasionally while I sit and have my baked chicken.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

lilybelle, My labs (see avatar) have a swimming pool in the back yard. Neither likes to get wet!!!! Usually when we bathe them, we'll put them in the pool for a final rinse (we have a salt water system that leaves your hair and skin silky soft!). They both swim just fine, but they won't get in the water themselves for anything! Too funny. The black lab, Chico, he's the first dog I've owned (4th dog overall--and third retreiver) who actually retreives!!!! He's forever with a tennis ball BUT if it lands in the pool, he looks at us to get it out for him! Both dogs will drink from the pool, though. Very strange dogs. You'd think that with temperatures over 110 in the summer, they'd want to get in the pool to cool off. Mind you, they have a doggie door to the house, so they can go in and out at will. Chico spends most of his day indoors, but Buddy is a sun lover and basks in the sun most days.

My comfort food is a macaroni and cheese casserole with ham and cream of mushroom soup. Well, that's ONE comfort food--there are many!

Good luck with slowly getting back on track with the treadmill. You certainly don't want to overdo it and re-injure yourself.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #40  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Anyone mind my joining in?

Lily, I'm so glad to see that you're able to get back to exercising! I know how much it's been bugging you not to. WTG!

Rabbit, I'm very happy that things are looking up for you too.

Meg, thanks for the reminder about exercise. I get a lot more than I used to, but I still don't do enough. I'm just so TIRED all the time, ugh. But no excuses; we all need it!

(I'll be more talkative to everyone else once I get a little more comfortable here, I think...whenever that happens. I've been reading this site for about two and a half years and I STILL feel like a newbie, lol. I'm just usually more of a people watcher than a talker.)
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #41  
lilybelle

callystia, Thanks. I am thrilled with being able to exercise some again. I'm not trying to lose more weight, it's just that I think exercise helps me to maintain better, feel smaller and have more energy. Don't know if this makes sense, but I feel less stressed when I can exercise.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #42  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

It totally makes sense, which is why I need to do more of it myself. I KNOW I feel better when I exercise; it's just hard to get started.

However, the fact that I peeked at the scale just now and am up three pounds is a disheartening little reminder that I have to exercise...and journal. I had it in my head to try just "being careful" for a week or so, and look what happened. (It's also TOM, but I'm not cutting myself much slack for that. I know what I need to do, and I know that maintenance isn't much different from weight loss; guess I just needed the virtual "headslap" of seeing it for myself.)

Ugh...back to FitDay and workout DVDs for me.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #43  

Allison & lillybelle, your chatting about labs brought back memories of my two Newfoundlands, Cinder & Shadow. Newfies ancestry is just a larger version of today’s labs and I use to have a heck of a time with Cinder chewing. During the heat of the summer she would stop but as soon as it cooled down her energy would go back up and she would start again. She liked to carry things to the back yard where she could go undetected and she learned if she held her nose down her ears would fall forward and help cover up what she had in her mouth. We soon learned the posture that indicated she was hiding something and we would just say “drop it” and she would just open her mouth the shoe/sock/Barbie, etc. would just drop to the floor and she would keep on walking, never miss a step, while heading for the doggy door. I guess she figured if she didn’t stop that she hadn’t officially been caught, it was such a hoot.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:38 PM   #44  
lilybelle

welcome Evangeline, aren't doggies just the cutest.

See everyone tomorrow,, I'm going to get on the treadmill now.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:34 AM   #45  

Wellcom Calystia,

and thanks for your support. Does your avatar mean that you bellydance???I find that so intrigiung!!
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote