Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-01-2006, 05:50 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - May Chat!

Happy May to all maintainers and losers out there! Don't you just love a new month?

I'm off to the gym to squeeze in some cardio before I get a shot in my knee this morning , so I'll post more later. So check in and say hi and let us know what's going on in your world.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning Meg! I'm pretty optimistic about May. It's usually very nice weather here. This year we have our wedding in May ...
There's no reason I shouldn't be able to maintain. Even if a wedding involves eating, I have no excuses not to bike or walk or something, outside.
Yup, I think it's going to be a very good month.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #3  
Cindy

Happy Mayday to all. I'm up early trying to just drink some coffee and come to life. I leave mid morning for the airport and my trip to Brussels, but my head is on straight and I'm going to make the most of it. :-)

I was pretty lazy yesterday. I did do a yoga session with the Ultra HD TV in the morning which was quite enjoyable. I have always had trouble with my shoulders and those stretching poses with hands out to the sides pulling the shoulder blades back - reaching and gazing into the hand - well those do more to make it feel better than ANYTHING I've tried over the years. This one had a lot of various core strength 'plank' moves in it - quite good stuff.

I did some gardening, not a lot but a little and that was it - it was raw and wet and poured rain from time to time. I could of/should of gotten out to walk but never quite managed it. We had a late wedding on Saturday night and I was cooking back and forth with my oldest son stopping by from college - I actually roasted a whole turkey breasst which was quite remarkably good. I should cook those more often.

Good morning all and Happy May - I'll check in when I get back on the 11th. Meg hope that shot does you some good in the knee for sure. And SusanB I agree that May is an optimistic month - everything fresh and growing, the warm sun shining, long days to walk and get things done outside. I am so much a sunshine girl, love the warmth and light of spring and summer. :-)
CindyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #4  

Good Morning!

Meg, I read about your excellent doctor's visit on another thread - congrats. I've had the same experience with prior physicals and boy is it a good feeling. Let us know about your knee.

SusanB, Wow, you're getting married this month? How exciting! Your stats are very impressive, I'm sure you'll be a beautiful bride.

Cindy, Have an excellent trip.

Hello to all other maintainers. I've been MIA, actually posting more in the pregnant/nursing forum since I am now 13 weeks pregnant. Feeling somewhat better, have had nasty morning sickness. Hasn't stopped the weight gain, I've put on about 6 pounds. I'm having a hard time not worrying about weight since being pregnant 8 years ago is what really put my weight into the unhealthy range and it took several years to take it off. I've been very good about limiting sugar to maybe once every two weeks - it was hard at first but now I don't miss it so much! At first, I dreamt of bakeries and all the goodies I was missing, but now days go by and I do not think about it. Hopefully this good habit will continue after the baby is born!

Happy May!
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Mother of the bride ... it's my daughter who's getting married. All I have to do is look nice, act gracious and pay for everything
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Is it May already?

DD is now 7 months old. She is pulling up on things now. Mobile. Opinionated. We've dropped to breastfeeding twice a day now, which gives this working mom a whole lot more time in the day. I was worried it would be rough to drop my food intake accordingly, but the extreme fatigue is going away, and with it the unbearable sugar cravings, so it's actually been easier to stick to the eating plan. But I'm still stuck at 17 lbs to go while I ride out yet another hormonal shift. We'll see if the fluid is gone tomorrow when I try on my rings again.

Sounds like you are doing great with the pregnancy Anne. Hang in there. The 2nd trimester is upon you, right?

Cindy, enjoy your trip to Brussels.

Susan, you're going to do great in May! I can tell from your mood.

Meg, are you injured again? Be careful.

wunderAnne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Meg- sorry about the shot in the knee. Cortizone? My sister has been getting them in her shoulder lately- she doesn't make me envy her, that's for sure. Does it affect your workout for very long?

Cindy- Gardening, weddings... It MUST be May! This is one of my favorite months. It usually stops snowing for good. No unexpected dustings when I leave for work and the weather here is amazing.

We are moving. Something about moving makes me drop 5 pounds for some reason. I just want everything done- boxes unpacked, pictures on walls, kitchen put together and everything else is an afterthought. We are moving about 10 blocks to the north so this must be the worst packing job I have ever seen. "Eh, who needs to wrap the vases, we're just going up the street!" Hope they survive... I'm excited about having a deck again so I can get my herb garden and flowers going again. I started a lavender plant and it seems to be doing well, but slow going.

The boyfriend's sister is in town to help, but she's more of a hinderence at this point. I'm not at the point where I can just sit in a room with a box of donuts. I have gotten so used to just not bringing crap food into my house that when she came bearing donuts, ice ream, cookies, chips, etc.... I FREAKED! Why did she feel the need to do this? She has lost a significant amount of weight, but she sees her brother as an excuse to go to Lamar's. He doesn't eat this way normally, but I'm starting to think he's a crutch for her. I understand the concept of cheat days, but for the entire week she's here??? Oy!!!

Rant over//
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #8  

Junebug, your rant was enough to lure me out of lurk mode, which I seemed to have slipped into without realizing it.

RETALIATE! Put out a bowl of fruit, nuts, cheezes, high-fiber crackers ... anything that's not a trigger and that gives you something yummy to look at every time you glance up. Don't get too tired. Don't get too hungry. Square those shoulders and Take Care of Yourself; you're worth it!!!

SusanB, how'd your dress turn out? Are you pleased with the alterations? I don't suppose you could belt it The big day's getting closer.

Meg, what's this with a shot in the knee ... and how's your shoulder? I hope you mend quickly.

Anne and Anne, sounds like good baby news all around. WunderAnne, don't you bike? DH has decided to buy himself a new bike, and I've cleaned up my old bike, and we're looking forward to giving this a go. True to form, DH -- who hasn't been on a bike in years -- was full of plans for day-long rides, weekend excursions, etc etc etc. And then he took my old bike around the block yesterday. Says he, with total wonderment in his voice, "Boy, I really felt that in my legs." So with that reality check, we're planning our first trips. Any advice for a newbie?

Life is good here. Over on Ladies Who Lift, I'm doing a 12-week BFL for Women challenge, although I'm thinking of it more as a permanent set of changes than a "challenge." The almost-daily exercise feels fabulous, and is doing wonders for this ever-aging body. Pants fit better, too. Commencement week begins Saturday, but I'm ready for it this year. Have cooler, will travel.

Hope everyone else is doing splendidly!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #9  

Hi Robin,

Re: Biking. For any activity, the usual applies--start slow and work up. The two bike-specific things I'd recommend are 1) go to a local bike shop (LBS) and get a bike fit, where your bike (seat height, handlebars, etc) is adjusted to your specific body geometry to allow you to ride comfortably. It might cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $25-$50 for an existing bike, but should be free when you purchase a new bike from your LBS. 2) Please wear your helmets. Granted, it isn't quite as much fun as having the wind in your hair, but such a simple thing eliminates a LOT of risk that it is crazy not to do it.

My parents just got into biking and love it. They live in SE Missouri and are preparing to ride the Tunnel Hill Trail in Southern Illinois--very excited about it. I think this is a safe link: http://www.trailsfromrails.com/tunnel_hill_trail.htm
I don't know if that is in your ballpark, but looks like fun. Maybe something to add to your list.

Junebug, the best place for donuts is the trash can. Don't be afraid! Hang in there.

Anne
Old 05-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Hi maintainers,

May is starting off in limbo for me. I haven't done cardio in almost 2 weeks, though I've been lifting weights, doing abs and isometrics, and yoga for my core, I feel flubbery! I need my cardio! I never, ever thought I would want to do it so desperately. I'm no longer waking up in the middle of the night in pain, but my knees are still sore and stiff when I wake up. I finally caught up w/ the trainer at the gym and she didn't poke at my knees at all, but I described my symptoms and she made the following suggestions: it's overuse, don't run as much (usually I split my workouts 1 day elliptical for every 1 day running), don't workout as much (no more 5 days a week???), when I re-start my cardio try elliptical for a shorter time and ice immediately afterwards, see if it that helps it, go from there.

Food has been ok - I'm not as hungry so I'm eating less, but not as much less as I should be considering I'm burning at least 500 calories less a day. I haven't gained weight according to the scale, but I'm trying to keep it under control. Also this is the season for lots of parties amongst my friends - always hard to deal with the food and drink temptations. I'm not going down that slope.

Airegrrrl, you sound all set w/ your cooler. Good luck sticking with it!

Junebug, I know she's your BF's sister, but it is your house she's staying in. Could you request that she not bring those foods into your house? Perhaps you could put it gently, explain that you try to maintain a healthy lifestyle and one of the personal rules you maintain is to not bring higher fat foods/refined carbs into your house. A treat once in a while is ok, but what she has is too much, and could she please respect your wishes and your space.

Cindy, have a great trip!

Hi to everyone else!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #11  

Hi ho all. It's May 10 and I'm smack in the middle of the Commencement circuit. This is the first time I've been to the site since Sunday and I've been catching up on everyone's comings and goings. Anne, thanks for the biking tips. DH and I took our "maiden voyage" on Sunday and I'm delighted to report that I didn't embarrass myself. We rode a couple of miles, and I managed to stay upright the entire time. I have a spiffy new gray, red and white helmet and a pair of those padded bike shorts. I even *look* like I know what I'm doing

SusanB, didn't I read elsewhere that the wedding is this weekend? I hope all goes absolutely splendidly. Have a great day.

You would all have a giggle if you could see my car. I'm traveling by myself, and you would think I had a party of six. I have a full-sized cooler. I have the laptop. I have my overnight suitcase, and then I have a second bag with the workout clothes, the resistance bands, and some DVDs. Plus, I have all the Commencement cwap (scripts, seating charts, honorary degrees, etc.) Moses traveled lighter than I do.

BUT.

This is the key to maintenance. I've never really prepared like this before, and guess what? Commencement week was a disaster. No exercise. Poor food choices. STressful. Exhausting. This year, I decided to change.

So, my cooler is stocked with low-fat cheese, sliced turkey, apples, skim milk, yogurt and beer (strickly medicinal, of course). I have protein powder, Kashi crackers, almonds and a protein bar or two. No reason to get too hungry. The "gym" in the hotel is nothing great, but it had a treadmill and a set of 5-pound weights, so I got a good workout in.

Some of you have written about the "obsessiveness" it takes to maintain a weight loss. I like to think of it as simply the way I live my life. The way I figure it, the week is going to happen regardless of what I do or don't do, so I might as well do everything I can to stay healthy, fit and active. If I weren't driving, and had to cram all this stuff on a plane, at the very least, I would have brought along protein powder and sneakers. We can *always* do something to take care of ourselves.

Well, the weather report calls for torrential rain this afternoon, so I've got to hit the road. Talk to you all later.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #12  

Robin, sounds like you've got your car packed just right! And I'm glad you are enjoying bicycling.

I'm starting to have some kind of bad memory problems, which are probably do to chronic sleep deprivation or some new hormonal shift. I elaborated on Cool Runners thread if anyone wants details. I'm hoping it isn't permanent.

I'm also getting nowhere on my return to maintanence weight lately, so I put up a tracker with a 20 lb goal, gets me right to the middle of my pre-preg range. I figure I'm going to have to work it harder or it just isn't going to happen. I need to get back into a loser mindset for a bit.

Anne
Old 05-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #13  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Robin, it sounds like you did a great packing job On the obsessiveness question, I'd just call it thoughtfulness or mindfulness. It doesn't take that long to plan ahead and it helps so much! It's so much less stressful when you've worked things out ahead of time.

I've got a funeral to go to this weekend and I'm already planning out the road food (6 hour drive each way) and a healthy contribution to bring to the family pot luck after the services. That and an early morning walk/jog before the trip home on Sunday should keep me from going too far off track.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Robin, thanks for spelling out what you are doing for your trip...it made me think hard about how I'm going to handle my trip to DD and SIL next week. They never have the right stuff in the frig...I think I will follow your lead and bring my steel cut oatmeal, my protein powder, and some protein bars to sustain me in between meals. The rest I can buy there. You are really focused on doing it right...that's great planning!

Art
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #15  

Robin,

What a great observation..."The way I figure it, the week is going to happen regardless of what I do or don't do, so I might as well do everything I can to stay healthy, fit and active". You are SO right. Thanks for the lightbulb moment.

BTW What actually is this 'Commencement" thing that you are talking about ? Is it some ritus at american academia ???

Have a great trip anyway,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote