Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #61  
Meg

Ugh, Boarderchick, I'm sorry you've got the same knee problems! My doctor agrees with you -- he says he treats the symptoms, not the X-rays. My left knee looks almost as bad as my right on an X-ray, but it doesn't FEEL nearly as bad. I've started shots of Supartz in my right knee - have you heard of that? I believe it's a synthetic synovial fluid.

Anyway, I'm with you on pushing on. I am NOT ready for a knee replacement yet!! Too much to do!

Have a great bike ride!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #62  

Yes, I've heard of synthethic synovial fluid. It's called Synvisc here in Canada. The studies I saw before showed equivocal results, and I think it really depends on the patient with respect to effectiveness. Hope it helps for you. There's also the option of bracing the knees as well. Anyhow, I've got the kids packed up here for a ride. Later!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #63  
Mel

Geez, my knees hurt just reading this thread

I'm off to go do my treadmill limp (pulled hammie that won't heal and sore knees ) and will be thinking of all you fellow sufferers!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #64  
Cindy

Man guys, my husband has had a couple knee replacements - the first one at 40, too young. He still struggles with problems. His started from a softball injury in college. He has suffered so much with it.

I've had one helluva day. Was in stop and go traffic this morning and got hit from behind by a guy - he stopped briefly and did NOT want me to call the police which I did anyway and he bolted. GAH. The policeman took the report and I told him he told me he was late for work and I thought he wasn't too far away. They found the car all busted up with the silver paint on the front from my Rav4. So now I have a crunched in rear door and broken cover thing on the spare tire to deal with next week. The hit and run guy is in a ton of trouble - he was driving on a suspended license, too.

I had a couple really rough days Thursday and Friday - work has been awful and I swear I won't deal with frustration with eating, but I sortof did. Today I woke up determined to get my act together and the day (other than that accident!) has been fine. I went and got myself some really CUTE capri khacki slacks with this little striped pink/black/khacki and white ribbon interwoven through eyelets at the waist - a pink T that looks so great with it.

A new outfit soothes the soul.

I have some lovely fresh scallops I'm going to make for dinner with sauted spinach, perhaps some Barilla Plus angel hair pasta. Right now I'm chilling but plan to get out for a nice walk in the next 30 minutes or so.

You just never know what is going to greet you on a Saturday morning.
CindyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #65  
Meg

Oh Cindy, what a horrible experience that must have been! But it's great that they caught the creep who hit you. Hope they throw the book at him!

Quote:
A new outfit soothes the soul.
I love that!! And a new outfit is so much more rewarding than food.

Your dinner sounds wonderful - you've got me drooling here. Sounds like you're right back on track. Let's hope your Sunday is better than your Saturday.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #66  
Cindy

Thanks, Meg - I gotta say that nothing gets me back on track like a new outfit - so much fun to be happy in front of the mirror all alone in the dressing room and then a few nice comments from somebody in the store doesn't hurt either.

I ordered the TransFIRMer system from The Firm and it arrived today (was here when I got back from my nice long walk). I have used their videos off and on for 20 years and thought it was time for something different. I really like the shorter ones that concentrate on muscle work and toning - I'm a walker and love to get out and walk and am always looking for something else to help keep me going with the weights.

So a new outfit and 4 new DVD's (plus the stacking step deal) - new toys and I'm off to make them work!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #67  

Wow Cindy--

Good for you for calling the police! My hubby's car got stolen from his work parking space last week. After MAJOR hassles it turns out it was towed illegally by a towing company. One of my best friends is a cop, and she's charging the towing company with theft. Yay!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #68  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

All this talk of knee issues! I have some issues with my knees too (took a few months off from running and stuck to ellipticals, now I'm starting to run again). In my case even without a doctor's analysis I know it's tendonitis. I'm prone to tendonitis and have been struggling with it in my wrists for years. In any case, what seems to be working for me is wearing one of those open-patella knee braces that you can buy at the supermarket, since I know for sure that what exacerbates my problems is the cold. The knee braces keep you really warm, which increases circulation (more circulation = faster healing).

Megan -- if you don't have health insurance, there may be a free clinic or something in your area. A sharp shooting pain sounds more serious than tendonitis to me (tendonitis usually is achy and starts when you have been doing the activity for a while, and is sometimes achy when you wake up too). Good luck!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #69  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for taking the time to provide so much advice and share your own experiences with me, especially you, Meg! The reason I can't (or won't) go to the dr. is b/c of no health insurance, and I just don't have the money. I definitely agree that going to a dr. is best and I don't want to do any serious damage to my knee. My roommate and I were chatting with the guy who works at the desk at our gym Friday afternoon while we lifted weights (I go to the 1 gym in the whole county!) and he suggested I stop in at the adjacent physical therapy place next door - he said that one woman who works there may at least look at my knee for free. So I will try to catch her tomorrow, see if she can help me at all, and go from there. I'm going to yoga this afternoon instead. I will keep you posted and in the meantime try to do lots of stretching and strength training, and keep my food IN LINE.

Cindy, what an awful traffic run-in! Sorry you had to deal with that, the guy sounds like a jerk. Mmm I LOVE scallops! (Along with all other seafood!)

Have a great week all!
~Megan
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #70  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I had a great start to the week this morning, I ran about 12.4 miles before work! I suspect that this week will be really busy so it's nice to get some miles under the belt early...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #71  
Cindy

My goodness Helen 12.4 miles in one day? Honestly? You are amazing!!!!!

I was out gardening last weekend and turned and my knee kindof popped and hurt for a bit, I just cringe at the thought of having knee problems after what I've seen around me with my husband and so many others. The body is so wonderful when it works and such a pain (literally) when it doesn't.

I've had an excellent day - great food choices, delicious dinner. Has anyone tried Brianna's Santa Fe style dressing? I use it as a marinade for vegies - I fixed a 5oz filet seasoned nicely with a Kansas City style spice mix (peppery) and then red bell peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, and a small onion tossed in the Santa Fe stuff and sauted up to make a bed for the steak. Wow was that good and so easy - I just do the filet in my grill pan on top the stove and turn it for a minute or two on each side. Works absolutely great - I get a tenderloin cut into small portions and freeze them.

I work out here in Ohio and have a condo, so I am here during the week and then travel back home to my husband (kids are in college) on weekends. It sounds like I should be able to be totally healthy right when I'm out here? Just cooking for moi, should have time to exercise, but the travel gets tedious and I work long hours sometimes. I occasionally just collapes.

Tonight I'm going to pull out one of my new The Firm TransFIRMer series DVD's that just arrived and do something physical, awful late to get out and walk and I just finished work and dinner.