Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #1  
Arrived!

Post Maintenance....Whew!

Hey Maintainers:

I have only recently joined your ranks and am now in the process of figuring out how to maintain my weight loss.

I have read the stickied threads at the top of the forum and was most interested in Meg's threads about a permanent reduction in metabolism in the "reduced obese." I am not sure if the research Meg was describing applies to me, since I was most likely borderline obese, rather than outright obese, at my highest weight. At present, I am slowly increasing my calories from weight loss mode (1500 daily) to whatever maintenance might be for me. I am eating close to 2000 calories per day with no weight gain yet...but we'll see.

Having read that a lot of you continue to eat as little as 1300 calories per day on top of a high level of exercise just to maintain your current weight has got me a little scared and a lot disheartened.

I know that there is no way that I could return to the way I ate prior to my weight loss. After all, eating that way and not exercising caused me to gain the weight. Having said that, I always thought that I could resume a normal eating pattern (for a person my size and activity level) after the weight came off, while continuing to exercise a lot. (an hour and half to an hour, seven days a week of cardio, plus 30-45 minutes of strength training every other day)

I've already been told by my husband that I am obsessed with my weight and that I need to lighten up about it. He hates to see me measure out my food, but is happy to see that I am eating more now. I want to be able to "lighten up" but now, having read about the permanent reduction in metabolism, and what a lot of you have to do just to maintain, I don't know if that will be possible...

Well, this was definitely a long winded post. Anyway, thanks for listening to me.

~Silvervixen
SilverVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #2  
Meg

Welcome to the wonderful world of maintaining!

Please don't be alarmed by reading about what others have to do in order to maintain! One thing I've learned for sure in all my years here at 3FC is that we're all so, so different! For eample, what I - as a 51 year old, hypothyroid, always obese person - need to do to maintain is completely different than what many others here can do. It's all about finding out what works for YOUR unique body and it sounds like you're experimenting and doing it exactly the right way. Who knows? - you may end up being able to eat like a 'normal person'. (just lay off the Double Quarter Pounders )

I think you're smart to maintain your current level of exercise and increase your calories, rather than cutting back on exercise. I truly believe that exercise - lots of it - is the key to keeping weight off. We all know the horror stories of people reaching goal and then turning around and putting the weight back on, but I've yet to hear of an avid daily exerciser who regained their weight.

As for the 'obsession' issue, that's a topic that's near and dear to all of our hearts here. Tell DH that you're not obsessed, but that you are committed and dedicated to keeping the weight off for life. You've worked too hard to let it all slip away!! Some of us (like me) need to pay attention to what and how much we're eating (like measuring and tracking) because our brains don't work too well when it comes to portion control and food choices. And if anyone suggests to me that this indicates some kind of eating disorder, I say nope, sorry, this is ordered eating.

Bottom line - don't worry about your metabolism. You are doing just fine!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5ft, 4.5in

FWIW I'm 28 years old, 5'4", and went from 164 pounds to 128. I maintain at just under 2000 cal/day. I've been maintaining at that level for a year and a half.

Age, amount lost, and new vs. old activity level seem to be big factors, as well as how long one was overweight.

I heartily agree with Meg's comments about the importance of activity - not only to burn calories, but it keeps me in touch with my body. If I slack off for a week (Drop from 2-3 hour long exercise sessions a week down to none) I tend to eat more at the same time. It's not an "Oh, now I've blown it" mindset with me, rather that I just DON'T KNOW how much to eat if I'm not feeling my muscles, feeling a little sore, a little energized from working out.

Welcome to maintenance, Silvervixen!

-Amy
ameliaamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #4  

Default maintenance

This all has me a little nervous, too, so you're definitely not alone. I lost about 80 pounds in the past year and I'm horrified of gaining back. I don't really feel I need to lose any more weight, so I'm trying to figure out the balance I need to maintain to not put the weight back on. It's not easy.
I'm 33, about 147 lbs. right now, 5'6" w/what I would guess is an "athletic" type of build; broad shoulders, narrow hips, slenderish legs and some natural muscle tone. So I'm guessing that maybe I could eat a little more than some? I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I agree about reading how some people are exercising tons and eating so few cals. to maintain their weight loss and how scary that is. I've been maintaining for a few months on maybe an average of 2000 a day w/exercise about twice a week. This would be taking a walk and/or jogging on a rebounder. On the weekends I eat more than 2000 a day but I try to keep it w/in reason. I go out to restaurants w/my SO, but try not to order anything fried or in a cream sauce, and always dressing and sour cream etc. on the side. Sometimes dessert. Then I cut back for most of the week to no more than 1800. So I would say it's about an average of 2000/day. This is a workable amount for me. Also, (I know it's not for everybody, but I use it as a tool, not to dictate my day) I weigh myself every day. It's to see how my weight fluctuates based on my activities and what I'm eating. I need to get to know my body after being so out of touch w/it for so long. Interestingly, those calculators you can find online that tell you based on age, height, weight and activity level seem to be pretty accurate for me so far. Oh, and I would consider myself a "calorie counter"-so nothing off limits within reason-no special "plan" except the majority of the time I try to practice the "eat smaller amounts more frequently" philosophy, which works for my sensitive blood sugar. I hope just reading about my experience is helpful. It was even helpful to me to write it out to remind myself.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #5  

I'm 38, 5'4 and 123-124. Been maintaining for about a year and a half. Went from 1500 calories a day to about 2000 with one high day around 3K/week.

My weight has not fluctuated more than a pound in that time. I still exercise daily and weight train. So no, not everyone has to eat 1300 cals during maintenance - it's very individual! I advise stairstepping up your calories (when I first started I'd do something like 1500-1800-1500-1800-1500-2500 to get my system used to more food. Add more calories every so often and see what happens.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #6  
Arrived!

Thanks for the great advice,and the reminder that above all, we are individuals and therefore, we must each find out what works for us as individuals and stick to it.

So far, so good for me.

Thanks again

~Silvervixen
Old 03-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #7  

Default Maintenace as a long and learning process

During my time in maintenance (since Nov. 2004), my weight went back up by about 8 pounds. By carefully tracking food again, and staying with a workout program, I restabilized at a reasonable level.

I still have to be careful of my trigger foods (mostly salty things)--not buying them or portion-controlling them in separate containers right away.

I mix up my workouts more than I used to and joined the Self Challenge (free on-line program with a food diary and workout log) so that I could be accountable to myself in a different way.

I have also learned to not freak out if I go up by 1-3 pounds. I lost the weight before and I have the tools and commitment to lose it again. Right now I am about 3 pounds above ideal but it is coming back off.

Good luck!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #8  

My husband always tells me the diet is over and that I can eat what ever I want. No way can I allow that attitude to take over. I haven't been at maintence long but I find I have to do what I have always done esp. when it comes to exercise. I try and exercise daily. . My errors come when I think I can have chocolate and pepsi again. This caused a quick gain for me because it soon had me craving and eating even more. . These foods are trigger foods for me and I should know that I can't handle them. Otherwise if I eat my healthy foods I have been able to eat a bit more and maintain.

I really like how Meg put it "committed and dedicated "
Keya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 PM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm another one who doesn't have to stick to a really low-cal diet to maintain. To be honest, I don't really track the number of calories I eat anymore, but I think it is around 2000 (mostly I just try to make good choices, not eat when I'm not hungry, and watch my portions). I only go out to eat a maximum of one meal per week (but I order whatever I want at that meal). I still exercise regularly and drink lots of water. My weight fluctuates a few pounds up and down, but I haven't gone over 130 since I reached it back in November. I think nowadays I eat mostly "like a normal person," but I have to remind myself that the way I ate when I was gaining was NOT normal!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #10  
Arrived!

I am still doing well and maintaining at about 2300 calories a day so far. I am used to eating a breakfast now in the morning before I work out. It's only been about a month or so, so I don't know how it will play out long term yet.

If my weight starts going up, I'll know to cut back. I am not as worried about it as I was earlier in the month. I do know that I do want to be among the 5%that keeps the weight off!

~Silvervixen