Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #1  
Tonita

Unhappy Does anyone have any ideas to curb chocolate cravings?

Hi everyone,

I am a major chocoholic. Does anyone have any ideas to curb, satisfy or simply eliminate chocolate cravings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tonita
Tonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:14 AM   #2  

Hi Tonita,

I notice that if I take my proteine shake for lunch or early in the afternoon, then i do not have cravings for sweets later in the afternoon, so that might be a possibility.

Another one that I read is that some women that crave chocolate specifically (as opposed to just carbs) actually want the magnesium that is appently is rich in. So you could try a supplement with magnesium to see if this affects your cravings.

I hope this helps,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #3  
Meg

Good suggestions from Rabbit.

Chocolate taste without too much damage ...

SF/FF chocolate pudding cups = 60 calories

SF Quik stirred into 1 cup of hot LC milk = 85 calories (substitute skim milk for 120 calories)

SF fudgsicles = 40 calories

SF chocolate pudding mix (dry) stirred into 1/2 - 1 cup cottage cheese = 115 - 195 calories (you can also add a teaspoon of natural PB and/or 1/2 cup of Kashi cereal to this concoction, originally from Mel)

So long as I eat healthy food on a regular schedule and not let myself get too hungry, I rarely crave chocolate. And the longer I go without it, the less that I want it. Amazing since I used to think that I couldn't possibly survive a day without chocolate!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #4  

If you must have chocolate (as in Candy) try Lindt 85% - takes some getting used to, but it's hard to eat too much of it (very very very dark chocolate). I don't have too many problems since my protein shakes are ultra chocolatey..
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi there,

I'm also a huge chocolate person. I have a couple of things that help...

Decide what you're going to have (make it good) like a Godiva truffle and buy 1.

I usually keep some of the chocolate nutrition bars (Zone, Luna, etc) w/me for emergencies, that way I get the chocolate taste and it has fiber, protein and are pretty filling.

And as Meg said, I have Jello fat free Chocolate puddings, they're smooth and creamy and the Devil's food chocolate ones are great!

I hope this helps! I think the key with this is have a plan and have things around when you need them.
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

I actually don't eat a lot of chocolate, or crave it but a friend who does has taken to chocolate soy milk which she claims satisfies her.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #7  
Tonita

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your great ideas! I will try some of them.

Have a great day!

Tonita
Tonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #8  

I totally second the 85% Lindt chocolate (or the 70% if you're not feeling as brave). I am sure there is someone out there who can prove me wrong, but it so hard to binge on that, one square is enough, and doesn't make too much dent in your calories. It is also reasonably good for you, there is some evidence that really good chocolate as part of a balanced diet has health benefits. And if that's not true, please don't post and shatter my illusion!!

I have chocolate once a week or so, and only a square, but I adore it and I don't think I could do without it completely!

In the UK we have a low fat chocolate mousse by Rosemary Conley, and it's to die for. Even dh likes it!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #9  

Cadburys highlights hot chocciewhich is 60 cals does it for me.
Or get really strong plain choc cos you can't eat much of it as already said
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #10  

FF SF chocolate pudding,mixed with plain FF yogurt so it cuts down the sweetness.

2 small tootsie rolls and then STOP!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5ft, 4.5in

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
SF Quik stirred into 1 cup of hot LC milk = 85 calories (substitute skim milk for 120 calories)
Meg, what is LC milk?
ameliaamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #12  
Meg

LC milk is low-carb skim milk. I buy a brand called Hood's and it's 45 calories per 8 oz and something like 8g protein and 3g carbs. I'm not sure how widely it is available?

Here's a link to the Hood's page that describes it: http://www.hphood.com/products/products.list.Cb.asp
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #13  
Mel

Chocolate oatmeal eggwhite pancakes (see LWL recipes)
Chocolate tofu brownie (same place, I think)
Chocolate pumpkin muffins (all over the forum)
tablespoon of dry cocoa powder w/ a bit of splenda in cottage cheese
Sly Stallone's chocolate protein pudding
oatmeal w/ chocolate protein powder

If all else fails, a BIG bag of M&M's so you feel so awful you won't do it again for a looooong time

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #14  

I've heard that craving for chocolate are usually indicators that you have candida in your blood stream (means yeast). I am not sure about different ways to cure from it, but my husband did cleansing with some kind of natural staff which resembles clay - and it cured him completely. We found out about it from our blood health practitioner, she routinely runs blood tests taken from our pinkie that show your blood pattern.

I used to crave chocolate but Lindt 80% cured it - it is shown that DARK chocolate actually is beneficial for your health. I also noticed that if I stay away from chocolate for at least 10 days, I carve it less.

Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote