Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #16  

Quote:
Your fat cells only multiply if you reach 200% of your body weight. Which is a rare occurrence indeed and only seen in severe obesity cases. However, fat cells can expand enormously.
I have certainly been 200% of my lean body mass, and i think quite a few of us here have hit 2xideal weight...

I must say that liposuction looks less and less appealing when you look at how much interplay there is between your fat cells and the rest of your body(brain, pancreas etc.). Maybe fat isn't entirely evil.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #17  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I think anyone who has maintained a large weight loss for six months or more will have discovered that those fat cells want to be fed and plumped up to previous levels.
Yeah, and I guess that was my prof's point . It's actually pretty cool if you think about it -- I'm always amazed at how every little cell talks to the brain and seems to know just what to do . I love that stuff!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #18  

WOW!

yes i knew that fat cells still exist in ones body, after weight loss, but didn't really think beyond that! I just wish i had all this knowledge before i got fat! (stretched skin might have stopped me... that sux)

OK my thought for today it this... if you then have liposuction to get rid of them, and then they just get bigger instead of multiplying, the first thought in my head is CELLULITE! , i know it is caused by gaining and losing a lot of weight!

My MIL resorted to liposuction, but the fat, around those areas is now HARD! and it is horrible! where as most people bellys are floppy sort of fat, she is hard like she is pregnant(which she is not) but now 10-15 years after that even though she knows it did her harm, she now wanted to do it again!(but due to illness the doctor will not do it)?????????

I am just gonna stick to my plans! good food , and lots of excercise, it is working for me, and i feel wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who has lost weight has the potential to regain it! i don't just think it is only because of the still existing fat cells though, a lot of factors are involved, our love of food, emotion, craving, habit, genetics, .... the list is huge. (so much against us, probably why few manage to maintain over the long run)
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #19  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Your fat cells only multiply if you reach 200% of your body weight.
Do this mean gaining 200%? That would certainly be a lot. Say I weighed 150 (I wish ), then a weight gain of 100% would put me at 300, and so 200% would be - gads - 450!

Quote:
I have certainly been 200% of my lean body mass, and i think quite a few of us here have hit 2xideal weight...
This is different. 200% of what you are now is 2x, but gaining 200% - as my above example - is way way more. That's why my question to Mel above. And while I've not hit 2x my ideal weight, I've been close enough to be scared!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
Do this mean gaining 200%? )
No, that would put you at 300% of your BWT (your BWT + 2xBWT). 200% is 2xBWT.

I weighed 385# and my LBM was probably 180-190#, medically "ideal" weight was more like 200#. I think the source was saying that merely overweight individuals don't need to worry about their fat cells multiplying, only really fat people like myself.

Heck, maybe some of us are GIFTED when it comes to multiplying our fat cells and do so at 150% of a normal weight. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this is common amongst the morbidly obese.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote