Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #1  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Default How do I do well over the long term?

Howdy maintenance gurus --

I am having trouble staying on program consistently. I know that if I am going to maintain my weight loss, I will have to eat well and exercise nearly every day for the rest of my life. How do you all keep doing well over a long period of time?

I have been successful in keeping off the weight that I've lost over the past two and a half years, so I know I can do it. But right now I'm in a rut. IMHO I'm being reasonable about my program; formerly eating 1500 calories a day (I figure I can eat 1750 at goal weight and maintain) and exercising, now limiting junk food and exercising. Are my strategies just too unrealistic for long-term success? Is there some good way to think positively that will help me be consistent?

Thanks for any advice.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I don't think you are unrealistic at all!! I eat on average 1500-1700 every day, I exercise daily or every second day. Some days I will run, swim, bike, and weight train other days I just do one of the above or none of the above... I feel that if I stick to my program at least 80% of the time I can maintain quite well....I don't feel I'm being unrealistic I've been doing it for years now. My definition of consistency is that I get back on track as soon as I reach that line in the sand with my weight on the scale. It's not easy by any means it's a constant battle sometimes, I take it one day at a time some days one minute at a time... If you have been doing your maintenance for 2.5 years you are doing very well. Keep it up!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:23 AM   #3  
singletrack chick

i have some info that may make you think positively about the situation. making good habits and keeping them only gets easier. not to say that its ever easy to turn down a slice of pie or box of goobers at the movies (well maybe that is easy) but the more i maintain my healthy lifestyle, the more i learn. the more i learn, the easier it is for me to keep it up. when i try to go back to an old favorite junk food (like candy corn over halloween) i realize that body just can't handle it. i feel terrible for a couple of days and i crave weird things.

the way i stay positive is to stay active. reap the benefits of your healthy lifestyle. by being active and healthy we have the "luxury" of enjoying life the way most people never will. try something new, new food, new sport. push yourself. the more i do and accomplish at this stage in my life, the more motivated i become to maintain my lifestyle.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #4  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Thank you both for your comments.

I am going to reap the rewards of my healthy lifestyle, and try something new soon... that perspective is a good way to keep me going. Thanks.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote