Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #1  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Question about running

Hi Maintainers ,

I know this may be a topic for the exercise forum, but because I respect you all as *experts,* I decided to post my question here.

I'm thinking about adding running to my cardio routine. I do the elliptical for 30 minutes 3 times a week and would like to boost my cardio up to at least 5 times a week. And the thought of having an appointment with the dreaded elliptical THAT often makes me want to crawl under the covers and hide. So, I need your honest opinions on running. Here are my thoughts/concerns:

1. I've heard not-so-good things about the effect of running on knees, joints, etc. and my personal trainer isn't all that keen on the idea.

2. I worry that my 9 months or so of elliptical training hasn't *prepared* me well enough for taking to the road and attempting a run.

3. The last time I ran with any regularity was probably 1988 (in high school), and I'm not that confident in my knowledge of warm-up, cool-down, etc. Essentially, I don't think I know how to *do it* correctly...sounds goofy, but please bear in mind that when I was running in the '80s the normal method was to stretch first (with cold muscles) and "bounce" those stretches, which I know now is BAD.

So, I guess what I need is some tips on "how to do the running thing" so I don't pull every muscle in my body and therefore miss out on my beloved weight training. And also some honest advice on whether running is even a good idea at all.

Sorry, these questions look pretty goofy. I'm *scared* to start running and need some serious advice.

Also...what are good running shoes? Where's a good place to get some cheap-ish-ly?

Thanks
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I started running from walking in well under 9 months. I already had knee issues though, so I found wearing knee supports helped take some of the pressure off my knees. I would suggest not starting running right off, but do it in intervals and build up to a full run. But alternate walking/running for awhile first. And if you start to feel discomfort, like you may have sustained an injury, stop for awhile. Don't keep pushing it and hurt yourself.

As for shoes, I wouldn't suggest cheapishly. Shoes are the biggest running gear and it's where I'd focus my money the most. Go to a store that can actually measure you and help you to pick out the correct pair of shoes. Some will let you test them out on a treadmill (as long as you don't wear them outdoors) and return them if they don't work for you. I went through 3 pairs this way til I found the ones that worked for me. As well, invest in good water wicking socks. Your feet will thank you for it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #3  

Not a maintainer, but also a fairly new runner. I had not run in years, but started training for a 1/2 marathon. Our training has us doing run walk intervals. Starting in August we will be ready to run 13 miles by January. If you want specifics on my training you can send me a PM.

Also, you may just want to google the Couch to 5K program. I have heard a lot of good things about it from people just starting to run.

Good luck!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #4  
Meg

Melissa - you're welcome to post here any time Congrats on your fabulous weight loss!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Check out this thread
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63965

Running can be bad on your knees if you are doing it improperly.
First thing is to get a very good pair of running shoes, no Kmart or Payless specials. Plan to pay $50-90. Once you get the hang of it and know what you need, you can keep an eye on the sales and can possible get them cheaper if you're careful. But your first pair, get from a specialized running store like Fleat Feet. We have a discounter in our area RNJ sports. Take or wear an older pair of shoes with you. They actually measure your feet, look at your shoe wear, watch you run and find shoes that fit your way of running.

When I went in, they kept having me try on shoes. I didn't know what to think. They all felt fine to me. The sales person kept having me run around the perimeter of the store. "No, it doesn't fit you right. Let's try another." I thought it was a way for him to sale me more expensive shoes, but in the end I wound up with a cheaper pair then when he started. It was amazing to find a shoe that really fit my foot. I was able to wear them without much of a breaking in period.

The big thing about running is don't just jump in and start running as fast as you can as hard as you can. Start slow, warm up with a nice fast walk-not a stroll but a brisk walk where you feel a little sweat on your brow for 5-10 minutes then do a gentle jog for a minute or two, then go back to a brisk walk for a a couple minutes until you recover and jog again.

Check out the couch potato to 5 k link in the other thread. It's a great program.

I started running in April with my local Road Runners Club. They have wonderful beginning running programs. Maybe you could find a running club or begining running class in your area. It's so much easier when your doing it with a group.

I'll be starting back in a few weeks after I heal up from the fall down the stairs. <YUCK!>

Good luck

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:14 PM   #6  

Default good books about running

Some great books I've read this year on running:

"The Courage to Start" "No Need for Speed" and "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham (Ok, that last one was a wild hair I had for a few days. I can barely run 3 miles and I'm even considering a marathon?) The first is good for motivation but has little training. The other 2 are better. I just like John Bingham a lot. He talks about being a Penguin and not a gazzelle. Gazelles are those runners who look like runners, with the long legs and sleek bodies and the penguins are the rest of us who waddle along because we enjoy moving our bodies. He's also big on "adult onset athletes" those of us who take up running/activities once we got older.

"Running-Getting Started" By Jeff Galloway. If you buy any book-this is the one to buy. It's a really good beginning book, with a training program, stretching exercises and he even gets into the importance of cross training and strength training.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

When I wanted to start running, I used the couch to 5K program - loosely. I also read John Bingham's books. I have had lots of problems with my knees in the past, but by starting slowly and running on "softer" surfaces (like grass, or HS tracks or luckily for me our town has a running trail through the woods that's maintained!). It really didn't take long before I could run for longer periods of time. I ran a number of 5Ks and counted myself successful if (a) I didn't finish last and (b) I ran all or most of the way. The hardest part imho is not the physical but the mental.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I concur with EVERYTHING everyone said... Specially the start slow and get a GOOD pair of running shoes at a reputable running store, this is imperative!! Oh and join us at the Cool Runners thread, we have a lot of veterans there with great advise...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:12 AM   #9  

Default Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the advice -- fantastic! I especially like the "couch" website and the book suggestions. And I'll be investing in some quality running shoes, too. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll probably start this weekend as my gym is closed Fri. - Mon. for painting and new carpets.

Thanks again,
Kate
Old 10-06-2005, 09:28 PM   #10  
Melanie

Hey Kate,

How did the running go for you? Just curious

Melanie
Meldiggety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #11  

Hi Melanie

Well. I...ah...went.

Once.

LOL...I didn't really like it all that much . I actually managed about 7 minutes of consecutive running (jogging, actually) and I impressed the heck out of myself with THAT . But the rest of the time it was a walk-run-walk kind of thing -- which was fine, I wasn't expecting much more than that. I just don't think it's really my thing, y'know? I ran a lot in high school for field hockey, but I didn't like it much back then, either (LOL, which is why I was the GOALIE). I was curious to see if my exercise preferences have changed over the years. Clearly, they haven't.

My new non-elliptical cardio plan is cross-country skiing. Which I LOVE. My Mom's buying me some skis/poles for Christmas (but I'm getting them early), and I'm very lucky to live on a street that dead-ends at conservation land with lots of trails. Now I just have to wait for the snow to fall. Which in Mass., could be in the next few weeks.

Thanks for thinking of me, Melanie!! I wish I had something more successful to report! But alas, you won't see me running in the Boston Marathon anytime in the (eternal) future .

Last edited by LovesBassets; 10-06-2005 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wanted to add another smiley
Old 10-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #12  

Yay, somebody else who hates running! Jogging/running is one of those things that I want to want to do but don't want to do AT ALL. I tried it for a whole summer/fall one year and never made it longer than about a 4 minute run (and that was down a crowded city sidewalk where it was more of a "dodge the tourists" type sport than just running - you should have seen me during the 4th of July parade). I would truly LIKE to be a runner but I absolutely hate it. I'm so glad to have some company.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #13  

It's funny, but I don't like the first few minutes of running either. It's into the 10th minute that I realize I don't hate it. Then about 15 minutes I enjoy it, My brain starts to clear, I like the fact that my body has adapted to running, nothing hurts, my breathing is good and I feel good. Then I get bored around 45 minutes and think this is stupid and finish by walking a few more minutes.

It's best to do something you enjoy at some point. I jog because I joined a running club and I have friends to run with or at least be acountable to on race days. I have to be able to keep up with them or I won't be able to talk with them.

Sarah
Old 10-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #14  

If you're still looking to save a bit of $$ on the shoes, try the last season's model or discontinued styles at roadrunnersports.com. I always buy my shoes there, after learning which brand and model fit best by trying them on in person. You can often get additional discounts via special offers at roadrunnersports.com if you check the coupon boards like jumpondeals.com. Got my last pair Sauconies for under $50 that way.

Running is hard for me too. I have run a marathon and two half marathons, but I do not have the body of a distance runner. It's always an effort for me to get out there. So I mix it up. Sometimes I run (or train for a race) and do that exclusively for cardio, and other times I am not in the mood to run at all, so I have a phase of cardio at the gym, bikram yoga, etc. Right now I am getting back into running again after a break.

It remains a highly efficient, time-saving, low-cost, and even educational (seeing different parts of the city) way to keep in shape, so in many ways, you can't beat it.

Diamonda
Diamonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:34 AM   #15  
singletrack chick

i absolutely love love love to run. i have been doing it for four years, and it wasnt until about 1.5 years ago that i realized how much i love it. i ran to lose weight originally. it was something that was convenient for me so i did it, and it worked. i lost about 80 pounds doing it.

but them one day when i was sitting around, i was so bored and cranky and i thought, i just want to go for a run. that was when it changed from being a chore to a recreational thing for me.

i tried training for a marathon and actually got up to 8 miles before i got burnt out on the constant training. now i run for me. i run almost every morning because i caan't seem to get off on a good foot without it. i miss it when i don't get to do it, and i think now that it has cooled off, i'll give a half marathon training program a try.

all i'm saying is, don't try it once and think it's not for you. it takes patience to see the beauty of the sport and to appreciate all that it has to offer. it's not easy, that's why most people don't do it.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote