Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-18-2005, 07:16 PM   #1  

Default What's in a Number?

A lot, it would seem... I have been 0.8 pounds away from hitting my (doctor's note) goal weight at Weight Watchers for the past two weeks. And I haven't been posting here much, because I've been so focused on that number...

I read the posts on sustainable goal weights, as well as Anne's post a while back on "demystifying the scale", but I still can't figure out why I let it have so much control over me...

I have been obsessing over what I eat, exercising like crazy, and why??? So I can lose 0.8 pounds? What will really change if I lose 0.8 pounds? Not much... But I've been getting so worked up each week that I have to weigh in, I've actually been nervous for the first time ever. Very weird. I can't quite understand it, I've been trying to figure out what my issue is. I mean, I set my own *magic number*, but I didn't take into consideration that I'd have to weigh that number in the evening, with clothes on, not just naked in the morning!

I think maybe it is just symbolic of the end of a very long weight loss journey, many, many struggles to get from obesity to here. But as well all know, the journey never really ends, does it?

I have never actually *tried* to maintain my weight, I've been trying to lose for the past three years. I spent over a year of that maintaining, but I was always trying to lose. I am looking forward to the transition...

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow, as I will try once again to get my goal weight. And even if I still weigh over, I am officially practicing maintainence over the long weekend, and I am making a plan of attack for that.

Thanks for letting me share. Have a great night, everyone.
Sue
SueJo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 AM   #2  
Meg

Best of luck to you, Sue! Even though it's just a number and it's only symbolic, it's important to YOU. All the milestones on this journey are important and worth celebrating. Let us know what happens today! We're cheering you on, no matter what the scale may say.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #3  

Sue,
I am not sure if it will make you feel better. I personally spent 3 month loosing 18 pounds and next 3 month loosing last 2 pounds to reach my goal a year ago. I was very frustrated - one day my weight will drop but not quite 2 pounds, and next day I will gain it all back... After exactly 2 month I was 128.8pounds (do you see those extra 0.8 pounds?) and I just gave up - I said - that is going to be my goal. I stopped looking at th scale for about a week and after a week I jumped on it and it was 127! So I reached my goal after I gave up and loosened up. Mind you, reaching it was easier than keep and I was 2 pounds heavier almost right away...

With this example I want to say - yes, number is obviously important, but sometimes we need a break in those numbers. Also, if it is hard to reach, it is hard to keep... Now, after a year, I am about 132 pounds but I am slimmer than I was year ago - my size dropped due the exercise. But darn it, I am not 128 pounds, so what?

I hope your weight in will be satisfactory to you (and what doctor has to do with it?)
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #4  

Thanks to both of you for the good wishes!!!!

I think today will be the day, I am down two pounds from last week on my home scale.

And Sashenka, boy, can I relate to you. I lost most of my weight in under a year, and then totally stalled out. I was *determined* to make it to 155 pounds, though (which is the highest weight that Weight Watchers allows for my height). So, I struggled and struggled for months, and I backslid a bit out of frustration...

I went to my doctor and got a note which says that I am healthy at 175 pounds, which is the only way weight watchers will recognize a goal weight higher than their ranges (BMI based). Hope that answers your

I've had the note since last August, and I am finally back down to that weight. I think it's a decent goal for me, I really am large framed (I feel like a fat kid telling everyone I'm big-boned).

I don't know why I didn't just quit WW a long time ago, and why I put such an importance on officially hitting goal there (I mean, it's my own goal weight now, for goodness sakes, I made the number up myself).

I know it bothers me that I still weigh so much. I mean, my goal is higher than Sashenka's start weight! I don't know why it bothers me, it's not like my weight is tatooed on my head or anything. Ahhh, the psychology of weight loss.

Anyway, thanks again, and I am really looking forward to just trying to maintain and live a healthy lifestyle at a weight that I'm happy with. And I guess I have some work to do on self-acceptance...
Old 05-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #5  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

I would say step away from the scale and lbs may drop. You take the stress off that way. I am down to weighing in every other week and it was more satisfying. Although now I am paying more attention to getting into size 32 Levi's. And eventually into size 30's. Forget the scale. phhhlpt.
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #6  

Default I made it!

I only have time for a quick post before I dash to work, but I made my goal last night! Actually, I was a pound under. So I am now an "official" maintainer. I'm very, very happy.

Thanks for all the support. Now on to the next challenge - surviving a long weekend out of town with visiting friends and not putting any back on!

Sue
Old 05-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #7  
Meg

Congratulations, Sue, and welcome to the not-very-glamorous but oh-so-rewarding world of maintenance!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #8  
Mel

As Meg said, welcome to the not-so-glamorous world of maintenance. There's nothing different between yesterday and today

Congratulations!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:12 PM   #9  

Congrats, Sue,
It is a great achievement!
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Congrats SueJo, welcome to our world !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote