Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #16  

I just went through fitday, in the past I have not really used it because I didn't like the interface. Really, I just wasn't using it to its full potential. I took the time to enter my custom foods and really evaluate the number of calories I eat and my fat/carb/protein percentages. Turns out, I've been trying to maintain by eating 1100 or 1200 cals per day, not enough for me! I've been so hungry and I need to feel somewhat full or I'll never stick to it.

I've planned out my day for tomorrow, already. 1400 calories, 5 meals, should be better - my percentages are at 15% fat, 54% carbs and 31% protein. I'm excited to start. Today turned out so-so, not great, not terrible.

Exciting news - we may buy a new home tomorrow. I think I've mentioned that I'm less than thrilled with the school system in our tiny town. We've found our dream home in a town with a great system and really hope it all works out. I need to keep it together during this time, I'm excited, overwhelmed and scared to death, we've been in our house now for 7 years and the thought of moving is very sad in many ways. But a new beginning would be wonderful, I'd love to be in a younger neighborhood, for my ds and myself. I need some friends my own age - right now we live in a great spot with wonderful neighbors, they all just happen to be retired with kids older than I am!

Ilene, you're right, when I'm home with Mom my resolve melts and I let myself be lulled by my old comfort foods. It's a tough one.

Talk to you all later.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #17  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I had a nice weekend away visiting my family. Food was so-so. I did manage to get in a couple of walks and a 15k run. The kids loved seeing their grandparents and cousins. And I'm trying to put the 8+ hours in the car each way out of my mind.

Meg, thanks for the reminder about the cheap Easter Candy! I did pick up some Easter creme eggs for dh, but he's hidden them away from me. Too bad we still have a ton of candy around that the multiple grandparents/Easter bunnies brought the kids. And then ds came back from a school trip today with a few small assorted candies and a huge hollow cat. He's annoyingly like his father with candy, and it'll take him at least a month to eat all his treats; he's so good at rationing himself that I don't want to get rid of it and make him think he needs to eat it quickly or it'll disappear.

Anne, great job with the cookies. Sorry to hear about your shopping woes. You're pregnant a few years too late. I noticed sometime between my first pregnancy (now 6 year old ds), and my last (now 14 month old dd) maternity pants changed totally from these huge, cover your belly up to your bra strap type pants to the below the belly styles. Even more annoying, maternity shirts shrunk during the same period! It was terrible by my last pregnancy; my stomach was huge (9lb 4oz baby and lots of amniotic fluid) and a road mark of stretch marks (new and old). I did not need a gap between my shirt and pants!
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:46 AM   #18  

Hi Mighty Maintainers:

Thanks for the support, I need it right now.
Things are a little better today, with some promise. The fustrating part of this is that just when I think I have it licked, I am brought to the realization that there is no cure just management. Sometimes I wish I could get a new manager.

Happy Birthday KarynLee. Enjoy you special day.

Anne the pregnancy is already going so fast, soon you'll be buying baby clothes.
However, the pregnancy clothing thing is a nightmare. I am sure you will look wonderful in whatever you pick up.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #19  
I heard a bird...

Thanks for the advice, Evangeline and Anne! The Desert Museum is number one on my list of stops to make. I always find it helpful to acclimate myself to the natural history of a region in a place where everything is quite literally labeled for you. When I visited Phoenix in 1998, their desert museum (modeled after Tucson’s, I’m guessing) was my first stop. I found some nice birds there, too. If y’all wouldn’t mind, I do have a few questions specific to Tucson that I’d really like to ask a resident in private messages.

Evangeline – I love Roadrunners! I’ve heard the species called “the clown of the desert” and I can see why. My favorite Roadrunner memory is of a Roadrunner who was acting as a crossing guard for a couple of Bobwhite along a scenic drive at Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge in south Texas. The Roadrunner was crossing the road, stopped, and looked directly at our car which was proceeding slowly. We stopped the car and from the side of the road that the Roadrunner had emerged from came two Bobwhite. The Bobwhite toodled on across the road. When the Bobwhite were safely across the road, the Roadrunner sauntered on out of sight into the roadside weeds. All he needed was a little safety orange chest strap and a tiny “STOP” sign to make it official!

It’s weigh-in day for me which just means resetting weekly extra points since I’ve already done my monthly weigh-in for WW. I did manage to get through the week with the usual number of extra points left over. When I hopped on the scale Monday just to see what the Easter Sunday ham looked like on the scale, I was quite surprised to see a reading at the bottom of my maintenance range. Ah, the mysteries of cyclic fluctuations in water retention! Ppffffttttt…

I am glad that Mel and Gina survived their “food aversion” therapy experiments. I’ve tried that myself with various things pre-WW and found it doesn’t work long term for me either. I thought about trying “food aversion” therapy with potato salad on Sunday but managed to stop myself. I was raised on mayonnaise (mayonnaise is considered a major food group in the South, like vegetables or meat) and I will never develop an aversion to anything containing mayonnaise, like potato salad.

Hang in there, Lessismore and especially Gina! The half-price Easter bunnies are going away already and life will return to the “new normal”. Congratulations to everyone who managed to have a decent Easter holiday. Mel, congratulations on righting yourself through whatever inducements (nausea or willpower – they both work) after that run-in with chocolate late last week.

Hi to Ilene, Sandy, rabbit, Elaine, Susan and Only Me!
catharus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #20  

Donna, Feel free to e-mail anytime. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

I'm having a heck of a week. I had a change in my schedule at work and it has really interfered with my personal schedule. I'm such a regimental person that I'm currently trying to analysis exactly what I need to do to get back on track. The biggest impact has been on my cardio, I typically walk during lunch and now am only taking 30 minute lunches. That sure shoots that in the foot, fortunately it is starting to get lighter earlier in the day so during the summer I will get out and walk the neighborhood before it gets to warm so I just need to discipline myself to get up earlier. I’ll get there; I just had a pretty good routine going and kind of resent having to switch it around. Of course, I do get home earlier and that is nice, but I’m terrible about working out after I get home. I walk in that door and my body thinks the day is over and I can just kick back and relax.

TTFN,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 AM   #21  

Hi Gang:

The sun is back out here maybe spring really is a possiblity this year. Seems like it was a long winter. Seems that Easter was more of a challenge than some of us expected but everyone is "springing right back".
I am continuing in retuning my"management plan". The lapse, relapse, collapse cycle has been in motion on and off now for about a year. I need to review my coping skills and my statergies that enabled me to manage these problem before. I seem to forget postive things much quicker than negative.

Evangeline: Too bad about your schedule change, I am sure you'll work out a solution.
Anne: Good luck with your new home.

All my compainions on the maintence journey thanks for the continued support.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:54 AM   #22  

Hi Gina,

Quote: I seem to forget postive things much quicker than negative.

Your post sounds kind of bleak. This is probabely a temporary thing. I notice in my own case that when I'm down everything looks bleak and I cannot even imagine that things will clear up eventually, but they do. This thing of forgetting the positive is a trick that the brain plays on you.

Breathe, relax, keep on hanging in there. Don't let yourself be blinded or prodded into non essentials. Pamper yourself. Spring is coming, and with it usually a sunnier outlook on life.

And to borrow the Airregirls motto: Breathe deeply

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 PM   #23  

Thanks Rabbit:

It's nice to have people who understand. I am hanging in. Reviewing and using all my coping skills.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default I was missin' ya!

I've been refering folks here from the quitting smoking board I've been going to. It just made me realise how much I miss you all. So I'm gonna read some and see how you all are doing. Anne's belly is growing!!!

My update is ....I'm pretty ashamed to say ... rotten. I can just barely drag my sorry butt through a couple of smoke free days AND I've gained weight. The impulse eating is killing me! The good news is I've walked several days in a row again.

Enough about me ... let's go see how slender and wonderful you all are.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #25  

Hi maintainers,

And welcome back SusanB. I'm sorry to hear you are having a lousy time to quit smoking. I remember it was very difficult AND I also gained weight. However, i have read to that it takes only 3 weekd to change a habit, so if you are on the quitting track now for some days, that is almost one week, almost 1/3 done !!

I used to chew gum a lot in order to have something in my mouth.

Keep it up SusanB!! You will be glad after the first lousy month to find that you actually feel a bit better !

As for me I'm still not slender and wonderfull. Actually I also am not yet a maintainer as I still have to loose some. But I'll go with Ilene: I am a maintainer in training.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
Old 04-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #26  

Good Morning,

Rabbitt, your advice is right on. I find it easier to dwell on negative than pull myself up and focus on the positive. I'm working on it.

Susan - Welcome back. Many of us have been struggling, but as Mel has pointed out on several occasions, the WORST month of the year for many of us is OVER! Welcome to the first day of April. We all have to start somewhere, and it sounds like you've been maintaining well. Keep posting!

Gina - Keep falling back on those coping skills. I'm doing everything I can to stay on track, too. It's a tough battle but it does get easier once you find your groove.

I was perusing the skinny daily (www.skinnydaily.com) last night and found an interesting response to one of the daily posts. I do not have an exact quote, but someone was discussing the fact that many people have a moment where something "CLICKS" and they embark once and for all on a successful weight loss journey. Many of us read about this in Thin for Life. The person went on to say that many people are waiting around for their click, meanwhile continuing their poor eating/exercising habits and wasting time. She said sometimes you have to create a click and for her that means cutting out white flour/sugar and eating a clean diet for several days in a row. After several days of clean eating, she said she often continues for months with a consistent diet and weight loss/maintanence, thus creating her own click moment.

I realized while reading that simple post that I have wasted 3 MONTHS of this year waiting for my click - for the moment when I will wake up and say, OK I'm excited to eat healthy and exercise and transform my body, just as I did three years ago. But, guess what? The honeymoon is way over for me and I'm just not really that excited about following a sensible plan. If I keep starting and stalling and waiting for some special ah-ha moment, I will likely never get back on track.

So today I'm renewing my committment. I hope that after several days of clean eating I will create a new click moment. I know when I ate clean for the week before Easter I was on top of the world, then I let the holiday derail my efforts. I've let myself down again. So here's to no more starting/stopping -- I'm in this for life so why be miserable. I know I don't want to let myself slide.

Thanks for listening. I'm rambling...but I'm so tired of the cycle I've been in since THANKSGIVING. My new resolution is to find new holiday traditions and strategies, because every lapse I experienced over the past year started with a holiday.

Last edited by lessismore; 04-01-2005 at 08:35 AM.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #27  

This week winds up OK for me. I had stressful experience in the middle of the week when all of a sudden scale showed up 4 pounds gain!!! That is after I thought that I will be actually down!!! I was really frustrated when I found out that this is TOM knocking on the door - but again, was not a pleasant thoguhts. Good thing - before finding a reason I made it twice to the gym - otherwise I will excuse myself saying I am fine anyways. Today I am still 2 pounds up but I guess those are extra fluids...

I also with all of you about holidays beeing OVER! Like summer is the best month to eat veggies and fruits. Amazingly enough frozen veggi mixes were on sale yesterday and I've got two bads of those - I am really glad I got them...

Otherwise we had about 40 mm of rain here and today rain forecast while it actually sunny now - so i expect it will rain soon again. I am still hoing to squeeze my 8k run today - inspite of my sinusitis I am still exercising - I am just trying to get back to 128 pounds before mid-May and it is VERY hard!!!

Everybody - have a nice weekend and funny April Fools day...
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 AM   #28  

Hi maintainers,

Lessismore(Anne0 congratulations on your new found insight. That really sounds like a good thing. As you say you can wait a long time for motivation to mysteriously appear but you can also promote motivation. You tend to think that motivation comes before action, but the surprising thing I have read in a psychology book is that actually action comes before motivation a lot of times. like you don't feel like doing a lifting session, or cardio, and when doing it you sudddenly notice that you actually like it.

Sashenka: I admire your motivation to go running outside, with rain and a sinusitis. Good luck on the challenge to mid may.

Since I have not lost weight since february I am on a new tack to get to where i want to be with more excercise and especially more attention to the food angle. I hate counting and hournalling everything so I will first try to get the foof in control by less treats, and stick to the water. Also I have found that bread tends to make me tired, so I will eat less of it. Excercise was good: today I did FBW, and 25 min jog and 15 min bike. And I actually looked forward to the lifting !!!

Have a great weekend,
rabbit
Old 04-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #29  
Meg

Hi gang! Happy weekend! I’ve been reading but haven’t had time to post this week until now. Life has been to the max but fingers crossed that next week will be a little more sane.

I just realized that tonight’s the time change for those of us in (most of) the US. Excuse me, but I NEED that hour of sleep that they want to take away! Grrr … I swear that DH is cranky all the way from the start of Daylight Savings Time until he gets his hour back in the fall when we go back to EST.

I’m still loving the new job as a personal trainer. It’s so rewarding when clients start seeing (and feeling) results. One client is getting married in May and her goal was just to fit into her wedding dress … it’s quite a story. She bought the most unusual and gorgeous dress on sale a few months ago. It’s ivory with a pale pink train and trim – it’s hard to describe but it reminds me of a dress out of a fairy tale, like Sleeping Beauty would wear. Really lovely. BUT it was two sizes too small. I told her (with fake confidence) that I was sure that we could get her into it by the wedding. Well … she went for the first fitting last week and already fits into it perfectly! She lost 2 inches off her waist in six weeks! Yay!! At this rate she may need to get it take IN by the wedding! Now our goal is really buff arms and shoulders to show off in the dress (it has little pink spaghetti straps).

I got a new client this week – a 4’ 11”, feisty 76-year old woman who wants to lose weight and get in shape for a wedding in November. Hey, you’re never too old to care about how you look and feel, right? She’s very cool – she already comes to the gym almost every day and rides the exercise bike and does some light machines. She definitely needs to add a little muscle and clean up her eating big time. We were talking about calories and writing things down and just as an example I mentioned that those little Hershey’s kisses are 25 calories each (and add up!). It turns out that she nibbles on them at night while watching TV so it was the perfect example. I wonder how many billions of those little get consumed every day?

Anne, thank you for your wise words about not waiting for the ‘click’. Sometimes it’s hard for me to realize that those ‘honeymoon’ days of dieting are OVER and not coming back. Weight loss/maintenance has to be an integral part of my life now and I can’t afford to sit around and wait for a click. Maintenance isn’t optional and I don’t have the luxury of waiting until I feel like doing it. As you say, this is for life so let’s just dig in and DO it. Some days are easy and some are soooo hard and that’s just the way it’s going to be.

Glad to see you back, Susan B! We sure missed you!

So what’s everyone up to for the weekend? Anything fun going on?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #30  

Morning:

Rainy Saturday here, so cleaning the house and doing the taxes are the order of the day. Reading everyones post this week is really helping me get my feet back on the ground. A few days back on track real feels good and my positive side is starting to come out of hiding.

Anne loved your comments this week about the holiday lapse cycle. I have been on the same cycle. Please share any idea's you come up with to short circuit the cycle.
My first one to use my journal. It seems when I put my journal down things go down hill. So thats step one in my plan for breaking the cycle.

Meg: Thanks for the reminder that maintence is not optional.
Rabbit: More exercise, Wow you already inspire me everyday with your activities. I agree that the water is very important and it is a constant challenge for me. This is the step I took this week to get myself back near the track it is so simple and gave me a sense of accomplishment. The pampering advise was also much appreciated I do need some self-love.