Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #16  

Anne,

I use to get sick whenever I went to the grocery store too. I can so relate to your distress over it. In fact the first time I had to leave the store was before I even realized I was PG, my husband and I didn’t know what had come over me. I got so I would make a list, take my husband, go with him as far as I could then go out and wait in the car until he could finish. I remember how successful I felt if I made it all the way to the cashier before I needed to leave. It really blew my mind on how many different odors a grocery store has in it, you don’t notice unless you’re PG. Once you get that precious little bundle in your arms you won’t even think about how nauseous you were and the good news is not every pregnancy is the same so next time it will probably be something all together different that brings it all on. I figured out I was pregnant the second time when I opened the refrigerate door and instantly felt sick because I saw some tamales in it. They were perfectly good but I had to have my step-son get them out of the refrig for me because I could not control my stomach enough to do it myself. He was such a good kid, I had evening sickness that time, and he got so he knew how I was doing, if I got home before 5:00 pm I went to the kitchen and fixed myself a piece of toast to hold me. If it was 5:10 pm I walked in the house and headed for the bathroom. He got so when I got home from work he would be standing by the door with a piece of toast on a plate for me. He grew up to be a really great Dad too; he has 4 kids of his own now. It took me over 20 years before I even tried to eat a tamale again. Just think, this will all give you stories to tell 30 years from now.

Hang in there; the next thing you know I’ll be seeing you go by in a bike race with one of those cute little wagons hooked to the back of your bike.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #17  
Running Babe

Hi all,

Haven't posted much lately, has been a very busy winter... not sure how my weight is, but well I am scared of the scale right now. But I am back to eating really well, my exercise is good so one day at a time.

I am currently reading Dr. Phil's book (7 keys to weight loss one), really good stuff. Deals well with the head stuff.

Anyway everyone hang in there! We're in this together.

Anne: I hope you're feeling better soon. I can't imagine what you're going through right now, take care!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #18  

Anne,

I can't tell you enough, your experience is so similar to mine when I was pregnant. Really, it does get better and once your baby is in your arms, your frustration w/the sickness and eating too much will melt away. I remember gaining so much weight one month that my doctor put me on the diabetic diet. I felt so awful, but I just kept stuffing myself with junk (not saying you are doing the same). I was so grossed out by dinner at a restaurant one night that I didn't eat it, but instead I ordered a huge apple crisp w/ice cream and ate the whole thing! One month I was really careful and then after my doctor's appointment and weigh-in I stopped at Dairy Queen and ordered something really big and unnecessary. The whole while I felt horribly dizzy and sick, and just kept eating because I thought it would help me feel better. I, too, was used to being a very "in control" person and the new experiences of pregnancy threw me off kilter for quite some time.

I agree with Silver birch, these feelings and frustrations pass. That doesn't help you much today, I know. Take it day by day and be kind to yourself. We're all thinking of you.

Lessismore (Anne)
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:05 AM   #19  

hi maintainers,

Today is my birthday and I have taken the day off!. No cardio, no l;ifting, no clean eats, just enjoy my birthday. I already had a great session with the family, gifts in bed, and the last gift near the breakfast table: a lawnchair. I picked it myself at the store, it is symbolic for me going to enjoy the spring and summer in my garden. Now just hope the weather will cooperate.

Silverbirch..I am in the south of the netherlands, near the belgian border. I guess our weather is better than Wales. I have never been there but I picture it as having a lot of rain.

WdrAnne.. I too was shocked by how much we are actually reigned by hormones. A lot of what I thought was my personality (strong capable woman, been there, done that) turned out to be totally dependant on chemicals in the brain. The good thing though is that it IS reversible. Apart from getting emotionally unstable and dead tired, I also got plain stupid in the end of the 2nd trimester and in the 3rd. I could not do things that I could do easily before. This I found very frightening, but it also was reversible, and the kids are worth every lousy moment in the pregnancy.

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #20  
Lawshark

Rabbit - HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
lawshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #21  
Ilene the Bean

Happy Birthday Rabbit!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #22  

Rabbitt, Happy Birthday to you!

Maintainers,

I've had a great 5 days in a row. Food & exercise have been excellent. Right now I'm feeling so vulnerable because I've had a stressful day over silly things. I worry too much about what others think and always put pressure on myself to be perfect. I want people to like me and sometimes I obssess over stupid details. Why?? I don't know, it's part of my personality and frankly, part of my problem!

So I just ate a peanut butter sandwich. On wheat bread, with natural pb. It's not a big deal, but I could easily go back into that kitchen and eat one of everything in sight. But I'm not going to do it. I have chicken and asparagus/carrots planned for dinner so I'm waiting til 5, have plans tonight after dinner and then I'm going to bed.

I hope everyone else is hanging in there!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:18 PM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

Lessismore (Anne) -- Hang in there you'll be fine!! 5 whole days in a row is great, I rarely do that well....Your next healthy meal is only a couple of hours away, one step at a time, some days it's one minute at a time for me ...

Today for me it's been a very good food day!! I've actually had too little calories...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #24  

Happy Birthday, Rabbit!!
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:18 AM   #25  

Hi Maintainers,

WOW, I feel really cared for if i look at all your congratulations. Thanks a lot everyone !

I had a great birthday, it even was warm and sunny, and I just had a wonderful day with my family.

Now it is back on the wagon again. I will try to be OK foodwise for at least half a day. That is something that I can do. Anne, I do not think I could do well foodwise for 5 straight days in a row. For me onehalf day usually goes fine, then the afternoons really get difficult.

Excercise is done for the day: LBW, 15 mins row, 30 mins jog, 10 mins bike.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:20 AM   #26  
Meg

Happy (slightly belated) birthday, Rabbit! Hope it was fun! Enjoy that lawn chair!

Ali - happy to see you back again. I second you on recommending Dr. Phil's book. So much of this is all in our heads, no?

It's been crazy busy at the gym but that's OK. I've got to find an hour for ME to work out today - isn't that so nuts? I work at a gym but don't have time to work out?? I'm thinking chest and shoulders ... DB presses on a bench through four inclined positions (flat to inclined), DB flyes on the same bench going down four incline positions (inclined to flat), something decline (ever try decline flyes? whoa!), then three burnout supersets of front raises, side laterals, upright rows and overhead presses. Rear delt machine and I'll be done. Quick and nasty!! Ohhh, I'm glad I typed that up because now I'll DO it - let's see, I have a free hour today at 3:00. OK, it's in writing so now I'm committed.

Eating has been much better and I've lost 4 of the 5 pounds that I found last week. Each day gets easier ... why do I ever let myself slip at all?? It's SO hard to get back on track! Good for you and your 5 days, Anne! And congratulations on recognizing the stress and not giving in to it.

Enough rambling - time to throw my clothes on and go do cardio. Having the heart rate monitor is eye-opening! Yesterday I did 25 minutes on the crosstrainer and kept my HR between 140 and 155 and then 25 minutes on the bike around 125 (at my advanced age, my theoretical max is 170). It makes me push myself that little bit harder ... which is a good thing.

Have a terrific day, all!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:24 AM   #27  
Meg

Karyn - I just noticed your new signature - love it!! So the 16 pounds are finally all gone? Your experiences with those pounds sure taught me a valuable lesson, so I'm glad to see it in your signature too.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #28  

I made it through last night without losing control. What a strange day, I won't even get into it. My son ended up having a temper tantrum at dinner (he's 6!), so I didn't eat mine, I was so upset about the whole thing because my Mom was over for dinner and it just didn't go the way I had planned. I'm still updating my original post on the accountability thread with my foods eaten this week. Posting my intake has been very helpful. Scale is down a pound today, yippee.

Meg, Did you work before you started your new career as a trainer? You are adjusting very well to the busy schedule. Your workout today sounds intense, more than I ever could do! But I love that idea of slowing declining the bench. I'll try it!

It's snowing in NH right now

Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #29  

Hi All:

Happy Birthday Rabbit. Glad you had a nice day.
Second the congratulations Karynlee. Good going.

Snow is on the ground here, such a long way from the spring mode that I am hoping for. Tuesday the landscaper came for a spring clean up and last night the plows were out. Too funny.
Need to do some evaluating on where I am and where I am going. Seems that the time for a retooling of my physcial & mental goals is in order. I am seeing an unhealthy pattern in my exercise and eating habits. It is occuring much more frequently than a "bad day" response. Two weeks of bad day, I don't think so.
So my motto for now is "road under construction" which is where I am on this journey.
I love the rest stops, hate the detours and always need to watch out for the pot holes.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #30  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg4242
I love the rest stops, hate the detours and always need to watch out for the pot holes.
Love it! Boy, are you right about those danged pot holes!

Doesn't matter how you did it, Anne - you survived. It's a new day today and I sure hope it's a better one for you. In answer to your question, I used to be a lawyer and then took time off to be a mom. These days, in addition to being a personal trainer (which I love ), I'm working for a multidisciplinary adipose research society that studies fat in all its aspects, from stem cell research to therapeutic uses of fat to reduce inflammation to obesity research. I'm trying really hard to figure out how to balance both commitments and still have time to sleep (and work out! ).